Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
'18 Titanium Grey + (AT)
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a 2018 titanium grey Soul + the thing about a Kia Soul is once you see one, you can't unsee it. These cars are everywhere. I saw so many of them on the road today. I stopped at two different stores and both times, there was 3 of them in the parking lot.
After 200+ miles of driving mine in various road and weather conditions over the past two days, I love that this car is not what it's trying to be.
It wants to look like a fancy range rovers
Screenshot_20210605-000716_Brave.jpg
But it's not and that saved me 10's of thousands of dollars.
The shift o matic and sport mode combined with the better than what I expected handling made the narrow curvy road to the beach feel like a LeMans track but it's not. At my age, I don't need the trouble of having to mess around with a standard shift when all I want to do is go get an iced coffee.
They marketed the Soul to millennials which I'm not. 馃槀
The car is unique from the norm but at the same time isn't flashy or obscene
I am impressed though, Especially never owning a 4 cylinder before, (My last car was a 3.8L) the Soul is a lot of fun to drive. And with 35 miles to go, I filled up for only $28.50. the 3.8, I usually put between 12 and 14 gallons to fill it at around $40. I'm going to be saving money over past expenses.
(I should gamble that extra $10 on some dogecoin)
What's up with UVo? I made an account online, I downloaded the app. I don't know how but I got to a screen that asked me for a 4 digit password. I saw that somewhere buried in text. But I wasn't able to do do anything past that point.
I've since have reset the whole unit and have been back to it since. Pandora went rogue, had took control of all my watch, Bluetooth, and all but disabled Spotify. I was about to rip out the whole unit and replace it with a android. I finally got Spotify and Android Auto to function properly by uninstalling Pandora from my phone. And am pleased with the infotainment center so far.
No CD player though? Interesting [insert ok Boomer gif]
I just have to figure out how to manage the tight space in the back while traveling with guests and family. Beach chairs, bags and coolers, you gotta be strategic.
I'm already building a wishlist in my head of possible upgrades and customizations. I have a 7 day no questions asked return policy but I may not even bring it to a mechanic, I love it that much. What if he tells me something is wrong with it? Am I just supposed to accept that as an opportunity to find one with the upgraded radio? I'm still gonna bring it to a mechanic.
All in all There is a new level to my overall satisfaction meter.

Registered
Welcome to the forums.

You will find having a soul to be a most pleasurable experience.

Your soul is capable of many things, from lightweight racing, to being somewhat capable in off-road and snow like conditions, just don't expect Moab or anything that looks 4wd is required.

Your soul, like all of ours, will be difficult to get stuck, is built like a tank, and can take a beating.

The soul was marketed by hamsters as an adult toy. Not sure how the lizards market their souls, but the hamsters were a cheeky little bunch.

Short - Take care if your soul, and it will take care of your. Mind the maintenance the GDI requires, yours is a 2018 +, so you've got the 2.0 + six speed transmission. No recalls for that year. You should get many years out of your soul.

Registered
I'm guessing yours is a turbo. You mentioned the engine of the prior vehicle you owned, but not this one.

Take the oil cap off and with a flashlight, look down into the hole. If the engine is not relatively clean and the oil remains black after just changing it 200 miles ago, then take the Soul back and venture into something else.

That means yes, spend $30 and get the oil changed with 5w30/40 - drive it a couple hundred miles before the seven days is up - then look at the oil color. If it's almost / near / is black, that's not a good sign it was maintained properly.

Registered
'18 Titanium Grey + (AT)
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm guessing yours is a turbo. You mentioned the engine of the prior vehicle you owned, but not this one.

Take the oil cap off and with a flashlight, look down into the hole. If the engine is not relatively clean and the oil remains black after just changing it 200 miles ago, then take the Soul back and venture into something else.
If it's almost / near / is black, that's not a good sign it was maintained properly.
That's good advice. Thank you.
JamesBrown is a 2.0 GDI. I thought that was implied, I didn't realize the Plus came with a 1.6T option. Regardless, the three different drive modes give this car the ability to go from the grocery store to the track and back again without feeling out of place

Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition

That means yes, spend $30 and get the oil changed with 5w30/40 - drive it a couple hundred miles before the seven days is up - then look at the oil color. If it's almost / near / is black, that's not a good sign it was maintained properly.
You guessed wrong. The 2018 ! was the only model that had the 1.6L turbo.

Reactions: Superbad

Registered
2014 1.6l manual
...I just have to figure out how to manage the tight space in the back while traveling with guests and family. Beach chairs, bags and coolers, you gotta be strategic.
I'm already building a wishlist in my head of possible upgrades and customizations.,,,
Consider installing a hitch which would allow for using a hitch mounted cargo carrier to free up interior space.

Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class I - 1-1/4" or Draw-Tite Sportframe Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class I - 1-1/4"

One example of a hitch mounted cargo carrier that fits 1-1/4" receiver
19x47 Curt Cargo Carrier for 1-1/4"

I installed a Draw-Tite hitch on my 2014. At etrailer.com there are videos on how to install if want to diy.

Registered
'18 Titanium Grey + (AT)
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Consider installing a hitch which would allow for using a hitch mounted cargo carrier to free up interior space.

Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class I - 1-1/4" or Draw-Tite Sportframe Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class I - 1-1/4"

One example of a hitch mounted cargo carrier that fits 1-1/4" receiver
19x47 Curt Cargo Carrier for 1-1/4"

I installed a Draw-Tite hitch on my 2014. At etrailer.com there are videos on how to install if want to diy.
Yes a hitch option was a deciding factor. As I frequently take my son and his BMX to the track and shoving a bike into the back of a sedan still, after buying a new car seemed ridiculous to me. I've seen a few options. I'll take a look at the ones you linked to. I've read phrases that hinted to needing to cut or remove a section in the rear bumper to make space for a hitch. A scenario I'd like to avoid if possible.

Registered
Yes a hitch option was a deciding factor. As I frequently take my son and his BMX to the track and shoving a bike into the back of a sedan still, after buying a new car seemed ridiculous to me. I've seen a few options. I'll take a look at the ones you linked to. I've read phrases that hinted to needing to cut or remove a section in the rear bumper to make space for a hitch. A scenario I'd like to avoid if possible.
I think kia does offer one for the 2018, but meant for things like bike racks, wheelchairs, spare tires... Aftermarket you may be cutting the bumper. I've added one to mine with a little stinger on the end. Woe the one who rear ends me in traffic...

Registered
2014 1.6l manual
... I've read phrases that hinted to needing to cut or remove a section in the rear bumper to make space for a hitch....
First I've heard of this. For the time I've been reading the forums here I get the impression several members have added hitches (where I got the idea from) and I've not read any mention of needing to modiffy/alter the bumper. I installed my hitch myself and no bumper alteration involved.

Hitch installation videos on 2018 Kia Soul -

etrailer | Draw-Tite Sportframe Trailer Hitch Installation - 2018 Kia Soul

etrailer | Curt Trailer Hitch Installation - 2018 Kia Soul Okay so do see that at the 4:26 mark the installer does mention that the drivers side fender well liner would need to be trimmed to fit back into place around the hitch.

So comparing product pics - the Curt hitch protrudes out a little further from the vehicle frame on the drivers side than the Draw-Tite hitch.

I installed the Draw-Tite hitch on my 2014 because the videos I watched indicated it was a little easier to install versus the Curt hitch - 4 bolts versus 6 bolts (with one of the extra bolts awkward to place) yet the same tongue and gross trailer weight ratings.

Registered
2014 1.6l manual
1 - 12 of 12 Posts