Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 36.7 MPG over about 320 miles on the fill-up the dealer gave me (2012 base, 6-speed MT). I still had 1/4 tank, so I figure the car has about a 400-mile range.

Both the MPG and the range are a lot better than I was expecting, especially because I wasn't especially driving for MPG this time around. Also, I had three trips that took me over the mountains on hilly, steep roads. Only one trip was on a relatively level stretch of road. With a bit of hypermiling technique, I think I can get close to 40 MPG in this Soul. Sweet!

Richard

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,651 Posts
I might as well be the first to say you really can't put much on that first fillup. You don't know how your dealer defines "fill up," but once you start tanking up you will know how much actually went in there.

I did calculate my first tank but I put an asteresk next to it because it's iffy.

Fuelly is your friend.

Welcome again, Geek. You should do well with that 1.6/6M combo.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
You can definitely get 40+ MPG out of this vehicle. I've done almost 46 *without* hypermiling (unless you consider slower driving and not accelerating up hills hypermiling) and managed to get 40+ out of several tanks. Do a search under my name and you'll find my experimental post with pictures :)

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
There are a few Wild Hairs in the list, but the AVG MPG are showing real expectations for most SOUL owners... I get about the EPA rating, driving like a average Human...
2014 Kia Soul Mileage

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. The high MPG was a nice surprise. One of the cars the Soul replaced was a 2001 Saturn SC1 that regularly got ~40 MPG, so it's nice to know I'm still in that lofty fuel economy neighborhood.

By the way, I know that the dealer fill-up was a real fill-up because I was standing there talking to him while he filled it. (In fact, I chastised him a bit for topping off.) He followed me to the nearby gas station as I was driving my Soul home and paid for the first tank of gas, presumably on a company account.

This little car grows on you very quickly. I took a ride to my elderly parents' home, and my dad had a good time with the Soul. I was surprised because he tends to like bigger cars, but he was genuinely enjoying himself. I think the manual transmission was probably part of that. He was intrigued by the 6-speed. When he (and I) learned how to drive, 3-speed on the column was still what was meant by "standard shift."

Richard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts