Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so all the research paid off, completed my first oil change without any problems. Thanks to all you guys on the forum who shared your experience and tips (Techo, JD, etc).

Here are some things I learned during the oil change that might be helpful to other first-timers:

- The 2.0 engine took exactly 4 quarts to get to the fill line. This was after draining on ramps for 30 minutes.
- If using a 5qt bottle to refill, I recommend the side-pour method (with funnel), works great, no mess.
- The original crush washer can be EASILY overlooked! Upon removing the plug it appeared to be PART of the pan. It looked like the pan, washer, and bolt were all painted black at the same time. The washer stuck to the pan and had I not tried to tap it off with the end of the wratchet handle I could have accidentally installed a new crush washer over the original. Sure enough, one good tap and it went flying off - and it is indeed painted black all the way around the edges.
- On most of the Souls there are alignment markings for most of the bolts. This holds for the oil pan plug. So when I went to re-tighten I went by what felt right and then looked at the plug and sure enough it was almost back aligned. So I snugged just a bit more and now have confidence it is tightened properly. Granted, you should not blindly rely on these markings, but in my case since I first snugged things, it was an extra confirmation using the visual of the original markings. So just something to possibly aid those who aren't used to DIY oil changes.

Now let's just hope I don't have a puddle of oil on the floor tomorrow morning.... :tongue-new:

Sonic

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
A very minor disappointment, with the Kia..... On my last Suzuki, all the drain plugs had magnets in them, but not on the Kia.
I really DO like the 'Heads Up' that you can get from a Magnetic Drain Plug, so when I started doing my own oil changes on my Kia Soul,
I picked up a Magnetic Drain Plug at Advance Auto and I've used that ever since.

As seen in the picture, it came with a plastic washer, which I promptly threw away. :)

I checked with my Kia Service Manager as to just what the Kia Torque spec is on the Oil Drain Plug and he told me to use 10 ft/lb as my tightening torque. That feels about right and the drain plug never leaks.

Sonic, I'm really glad you got through your first Oil Change in good shape.
As with so many jobs on a car, having the right tools at hand when you start, makes the job go so much easier.

Try it sometime with just a hammer and a screwdriver and things can get dicey real quick.

This was actually the last filter I changed on my Suzuki SX4. The cap wrench would just spin on the filter and didn't have the grip to break it loose, so I resorted to the old reliable method..... drive a long screwdriver through the filter and use the screwdriver as the wrench to turn the filter. Hey...It worked!!

But, it IS possible! :sneakiness:

:cool:

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Old style filter removal is a messy chore. I never knew that there were alignment marks, just don't let the dealer put your drain plug or filter on. The first time they over torqued both, I had to tell them not to so That I could remove them at the next change. I have to do my oil change any time now, I will order some new mudflaps while I am at the dealer getting an oil filter and cabin air filter.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,532 Posts
Hey Techno, thanks for the pic of the "old style" wrench!

I hate when a simple oil change rapidly deteriorates to DEFCON 1. Oil everywhere, French is spoken & blood is spewing out of something that got cut.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This was actually the last filter I changed on my Suzuki SX4. The cap wrench would just spin on the filter and didn't have the grip to break it loose, so I resorted to the old reliable method..... drive a long screwdriver through the filter and use the screwdriver as the wrench to turn the filter. Hey...It worked!!

I have used this method in the past myself, but as the oil filters have changed over the years (thinner and softer walls), I have adapted to another style. I use a leather belt doubled back on itself, it works great. Just food for thought.....

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,532 Posts
I have used this method in the past myself, but as the oil filters have changed over the years (thinner and softer walls), I have adapted to another style. I use a leather belt doubled back on itself, it works great. Just food for thought.....
I did kinda the same thing Gdaddy. I went to a strap wrench years ago because, like you said, the filters are so tinny & traditional wrenches would crush them. Sometimes the strap wrench even crushes them, then all bets are off for a good looking dismount.

·
Registered
171 Posts
A very minor disappointment, with the Kia..... On my last Suzuki, all the drain plugs had magnets in them, but not on the Kia.
I really DO like the 'Heads Up' that you can get from a Magnetic Drain Plug, so when I started doing my own oil changes on my Kia Soul,
I picked up a Magnetic Drain Plug at Advance Auto and I've used that ever since.

As seen in the picture, it came with a plastic washer, which I promptly threw away. :)

I checked with my Kia Service Manager as to just what the Kia Torque spec is on the Oil Drain Plug and he told me to use 10 ft/lb as my tightening torque. That feels about right and the drain plug never leaks.

Sonic, I'm really glad you got through your first Oil Change in good shape.
As with so many jobs on a car, having the right tools at hand when you start, makes the job go so much easier.

Try it sometime with just a hammer and a screwdriver and things can get dicey real quick.

Thanks for posting a picture of the magnetic drain plug. I keep forgetting to look for one and now that I know the number. $6.48 on ebay with no shipping. I better order it before they figure out they are making $0.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Thanks for posting a picture of the magnetic drain plug. I keep forgetting to look for one and now that I know the number. $6.48 on ebay with no shipping. I better order it before they figure out they are making $0.
Just ordered one myself.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Hey Techo, was just wondering, has that magnetic drain plug actually caught anything? ....
Not yet! It's a GOOD DAY when I pull it out and it's clean. Eh?

It's like car insurance..... nice to have, but we hope we never need it.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
When I was a young man I rewired cars, rebuilt carburetors, did valve jobs, changed head gaskets, and swapped engines, barely thinking twice about any of it.

Now I swap drain plugs.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Yup! That's progress all right.

I've not rebuilt a Rochester Quadrajet (carburetor) in many a year, and I'm sort of glad I don't have to anymore.
That may have been weekend fun years ago, but now I'd rather do other things, like eat good food and drink good beer! rofl.

I've not used a Dwell-Tach or a Timing Light in many years either, and again....I'm glad I don't have to.

Yup, that's progress!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
^^Even more old school than that is not even using a timing light and setting the timing by ear. I'm not sure I ever even owned a timing light, but I did have a spare 1/2" or 9/16" wrench for the test drive after adjusting the distributor!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Well, I was not only the neighborhood Computer and CB Radio Guru, but the neighborhood Car Tuneup Guru as well.
I did many a tune up out at the city park, under a big Maple tree. Have tools, will travel! lol

10-4 Good Buddy! Catch ya on the flip flop!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts