Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow S̶o̶u̶l̶ ̶m̶a̶t̶e̶s̶, no wait that sounds weird, I'm new here and have logged about 150 miles on my 2018 Exclaim. I know it doesn't seem like enough to warrant a post, but I figure any one that reads this may have some suggestions and/or some insight on some of my initial impressions on the car.

Off the bat, I think the car is a great little car. Of course, it may just be my reaction to the new car smell, but I'm genuinely happy that I made my purchase. I didn't option out the vehicle like I would've normally liked, but then again I have a different vehicle that has all the creature comforts that I wanted (Although, vented seats would be nice). I'm planning on using this vehicle primarily for Uber and to commute to and from work.

Having said that, this is the first of a very small list of things I've noticed, that aren't favorable. I've noticed that there is some slight bucking when driving around 30-40 MPH at a constant speed. It feels as though the transmission is debating on whether to up-shift or down-shift. I'm hoping this is just the infamous "bad dealer gas", so my first unofficial mod was to purchase some STP Octane Booster. I'm hoping that once the engine is broken in, that things will smooth themselves out. The second thing I noticed is that part of me wishes that I had spent money on the optional package which would've netted me LED (almost everything), and even more importantly, upgraded headlights. When the sales woman followed me home to drop off the car, the headlights of the car looked as though a 35 year old car was following me. I thought maybe I had jaundice, the light was so yellow. I may have to go after-market as I don't imagine the lights giving me good visibility at night. Finally, the last small item I found, speaking mostly as a future Uber/Lyft driver, there is a lot of road noise from the tires. I'm thinking the tires on my Optima were a little inferior, and I'm thinking the same is true for these tires, then again there's so much construction in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that I just haven't found a smooth enough patch of road.

Now for the positives, where to start, the turbo really helps the vehicle scoot. No, it's nothing like my weekend toy, but it's also no slouch. In my 150 miles, I looked for opportunities to give the car some gas, and it always returned favorable results. I think it even surprised some of the drivers around me. The sitting position is great, you're not looming over everyone but have a pretty good vantage point of the traffic ahead. The utility on this thing is also decent. I went to Costco and was afraid that I would need to fold the rear seats to fit everything in the back, but it swallowed 3 24 packs and other consumables with no issue. The Android Auto is also a great feature. I love not having to mount my phone on the windshield or on the dash. Having access to Waze on my screen is awesome (if you have Android Auto and haven't installed Waze, SHAME ON YOU BUDDY! :p ). The styling of the car is cute (I know HaimBond will probably give me grief for this one), but the contrasting colors, silver with black and red accents, it really sets the car off. I will make a confession, Kia could've probably had me as a Soul driver sooner if not for those confounded hamsters. I couldn't find myself taking the car serious with such silly commercials, but who knows, maybe those ambassadors helped bring in more people. At any rate, I have no shame driving this car, and I'm looking forward to changing minds one Uber/Lyft passenger at a time.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
don't forget to add the year to your drive description.

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
663 Posts
Dunno about an '18 turbo, but try turning ECO off and see if that helps with performance.

As to the tires, I don't think any manufacturer uses great OEM tires. Search the forums, you'll find lots of discussion about tires/wheel sizes.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Yes, thank you for reviewing a car we all drive for 5+ years. :applouse:

BTW, if you already put on 150 miles, why not top it off with some decent gas instead of octane booster, which I don't see how would help anyway.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes, thank you for reviewing a car we all drive for 5+ years. :applouse:

BTW, if you already put on 150 miles, why not top it off with some decent gas instead of octane booster, which I don't see how would help anyway.

lol, ugh are you going to follow all my posts? Should I start a blog for you? :p I've actually started putting Premium in every chance I get. And as far as helping, I can't imagine putting regular fuel in any vehicle that has F/I. They tend to run hotter, and while the ECM would most likely pull timing to prevent knocking, that could very well be the cause of the hesitation. I'm ok with spending a few extra pennies to get what I paid for, in terms of performance.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I'm putting regular in my Optima and there isn't any bucking. Is your regular in TX 85 octane with 10% ethanol?
That's cause you're a cheapskate. :p. It's probably the same thing with using full synthetic oil, you don't have to, but that very small bit of added protection, how much is it worth?

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
I have driven my Soul for 8 years and 90,000 miles, it's never had a drop of premium fuel...... EVER! It runs and performs well....does this make me a cheapskate?? I think not and in my opinion using premium fuel on a car that doesn't require it is a big waste of money. It does not hurt anything but not necessary, now my sisters Corvette does require premium fuel but it's a true muscle car. My 2 cents

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
That's cause you're a cheapskate. :p. It's probably the same thing with using full synthetic oil, you don't have to, but that very small bit of added protection, how much is it worth?
I actually use full synthetic on my Optima. Since I drive 10 miles per day, I change once a year, so double the price is worth it. I can tell the difference when semi-blend is used.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have driven my Soul for 8 years and 90,000 miles, it's never had a drop of premium fuel...... EVER! It runs and performs well....does this make me a cheapskate?? I think not and in my opinion using premium fuel on a car that doesn't require it is a big waste of money. It does not hurt anything but not necessary, now my sisters Corvette does require premium fuel but it's a true muscle car. My 2 cents
Is yours turbocharged? And I have to give Haim some grief. I'd say non turbocharged may be different than forced induction. We had this discussion on the Optima forums and someone actually pointed out that a Kia engineer actually said that the 2.0T does benefit from premium fuel. You have to remember that the car's computer will adjust spark and timing based on any pre-ignition conditions it senses. For me it's just a matter of trying to get all the performance I can, paying a few dollars per tank is worth it to me.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,396 Posts
TX, I bought mine despite the hamsters too. Or in Texas y'all probably call them road kill.

It was Gen2 styling that roped me in.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
Is yours turbocharged? And I have to give Haim some grief. I'd say non turbocharged may be different than forced induction. We had this discussion on the Optima forums and someone actually pointed out that a Kia engineer actually said that the 2.0T does benefit from premium fuel. You have to remember that the car's computer will adjust spark and timing based on any pre-ignition conditions it senses. For me it's just a matter of trying to get all the performance I can, paying a few dollars per tank is worth it to me.
A turbo engine might need premium, this I don't know as mine is non turbocharged.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
KIA specifies Reg gas for the Turbo, you can choose to use whatever gas you want, but anything other than reg gas you are throwing money away since the car is tuned for Regular Gas.
BTW regular gas signifies 87 Octane.

Pat.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TX, I bought mine despite the hamsters too. Or in Texas y'all probably call them road kill.

It was Gen2 styling that roped me in.
Lol, we have bigger "varmint" out here that make it difficult to see these hamsters. And I'll agree that I bought the car despite the hamsters, and Haim's badgering. You should see his trash talk over at the optima form.....tsk tsk....

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
KIA specifies Reg gas for the Turbo, you can choose to use whatever gas you want, but anything other than reg gas you are throwing money away since the car is tuned for Regular Gas.
BTW regular gas signifies 87 Octane.

Pat.
They say that you can use regular gas on the turbo mostly to appeal to the demographics they are shooting for. I personally just prefer to run an octane that is less likely to pre-ignite with my specific driving behavior. My local municipal tells me that I'm safe drinking water straight from the tap, but I think I'd rather "waste a couple of dollars" to get filtered water. And this is coming from someone that used to work for Nestle's water and saw the valve of what was essentially tap water being forced through 9 20' filters and bottled "at the source".

1 - 20 of 40 Posts