Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my folks (who originally spurred me to get my 14 soul in the first place) had been talking about how much mileage i put in my soul. its only about 1 year and 6 months old and it already had almost 26k on it. So i would have burned through my 100k warranty far faster then the payments.... so they talked me into trading it in for a new model. Yesterday i went to the dealership to change my oil and came home with a new 2016! I am excited, and at the same time not? Im worried because i didnt do any research about the model previously, and dont know if there is anything that i maybe should have known about?? My gas mileage was pretty good on the 14 as i have an almost 40 mile commute everyday to work... (even though the soul does not get the best gas mileage in its class but i wasnt too worried about it. still better then my old 4runner)

Everyone keeps saying this one "looks" smaller. It could be the color, my 14 was white, and this one is light silver. Unfortunately i wasn't able to get any other upgrades, so basically i traded car for car... both were/are base models. The good news is the foot print is exactly the same so the $200 weathertech mats, fit the 2016 perfectly! So thats a good thing. I also ended up with tinted windows in the front which my 14 didnt have. The one thing i think is a downgrade is that the back seat in the 14 had a pull down thing to put drinks on and arm rest... the 16 does not have that. Other then that the car is exactly the same, (well so far ive noticed a few differences in the push to talk... a few more features when it talks to me.) So it feels really strange at the moment driving it because its identical to my 14.

I dunno guess i just want someone to ease my mind that i didnt do something dumb since i didnt really think about it too much previously. we had been discussing it back and forth for a few months and figured if we got a deal wed go for it. But i wasn't thinking it would happen now. So help a girl out?

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Other than the price, there is not much difference between the two years. They are essentially the same car but there are some minor baseline differences. Is the 2016 an A/T also? I believe that basically the only package you can get is the rear view camera set up since I don't believe that UVO comes in them any more even as an option.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
the 2014 and 2016 are identical in every way other than the odd feature. Some of the packages offered have changed slightly.

Just a bit baffled why you would trade so early and not really gaining much!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Other than the price, there is not much difference between the two years. They are essentially the same car but there are some minor baseline differences. Is the 2016 an A/T also? I believe that basically the only package you can get is the rear view camera set up since I don't believe that UVO comes in them any more even as an option.
They dont do the UVO anymore? My old one didnt have it either but i did see some of the models on the floor with the back up camera.

the 2014 and 2016 are identical in every way other than the odd feature. Some of the packages offered have changed slightly.

Just a bit baffled why you would trade so early and not really gaining much!
I know im kind of haveing buyers remorse at the moment. But it was mainly for the mileage and warranty.... too late now.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
The back up camera usually came with the UVO package but it seems that UVO was eliminated as an option on the base for 2016. If you go to Kia.com you can check the configurations but the biggest option package on the base was and still is the A/T option, it comes with some goodies that the M/T does not have but even that has been changing from year to year. UVO and the rear camera option is available or standard on the Plus and Exclaim, but that also entails a bigger engine and drop in gas mileage. I have no options other than A/T on my base and it is just fine the way it is, but we got more goodies then like the cruise control and keyless entry.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The back up camera usually came with the UVO package but it seems that UVO was eliminated as an option on the base for 2016. If you go to Kia.com you can check the configurations but the biggest option package on the base was and still is the A/T option, it comes with some goodies that the M/T does not have but even that has been changing from year to year. UVO and the rear camera option is available or standard on the Plus and Exclaim, but that also entails a bigger engine and drop in gas mileage. I have no options other than A/T on my base and it is just fine the way it is, but we got more goodies then like the cruise control and keyless entry.
ah ok. i like the bluetooth and voice command thingy... and too be honest a big deal to me was having steering wheel controls. XD i love having those. so that was a huge upgrade to me when i got my 14! LOL but yeah. i just want someone to tell me im not a big flippin dummy for what i did.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
it's your choice and money, but I think it would have been better if you had posted this before you purchased :sneakiness: otherwise just kept quiet about it when you made the change, just simply change your Drive info details and move on.

It would not be something I would do.

·
Registered
799 Posts
You are not a dummy dear. If you had traded your 14 for an elephant you could not be a dummy. You are a beautiful, loving, giving, vital member of this forum group and are loved here.

If you have not had the car for more than a few days you can go back and discuss it with a salesman. Florida has a return policy of a few days for buyers remorse. Just tell them maybe you should have bought more options. they would love that and talk to you about it.

And if you dont? Then your car is still perfect. Only now it is fresher and newer with low miles and everything is shiny new. The 16 is more valuable and it is yours. If your job is good enough trade it in a few years for a plus maybe. In any case the ONLY person you need to please is YOU.

If you love the car then it is perfect. Enjoy your new car dearest.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Life is all about decisions.
So you traded in a vehicle for another that was pretty much the same,so what.
The miles on your 14' Soul IMO.just was broken in.
The current trend is that people are keeping their cars longer.One of my vehicles is
13yrs old. Have no plans to sell or trade. It is a high performance sports job that I
invested a ton on aftermarket stuff. That may be the reason on keeping this 95k mile
beast. Dunno.
Maybe its become part of the family.
I have traded cars in about 2 yrs that were purchased for business use. Some,just got
tired of. The economics of today make this kinda stuff difficult.

So,my hats off to you for following the adrenaline of buying a new vehicle.
Its a great feeling,right?
You are probably not staying up nights thinking about the future of when you retire.

Besides,kinda like the silver vs the white.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Think of it like getting a new haircut. A REALLY expensive haircut. Some folks are motorheads, they love a certain car for this or that. Some folks love just having a new car ----> ME!

I had a crappy '02 sante fe. It was HUGE inside compared to my '15 Soul + but it was on its last cylinder, literally. The sante fe got maybe 18 mpg and on a 30 mile commute to work...

Do the pro's and con's thing. I went in thinking there's no way they are going to give me a new car. I knew i wanted at least the plus model, auto windows, locks and fob, and i needed that rear center armrest with cupholder for my 7 yr old.

When the salesman came back in and told me he backed up the soul to my sante fe so i could take everything out, i told my oldest - just scrape everything out and toss it into the soul and lets get the hell outta here before they realize what they did. I never looked back.

I don't know about going back in and trading up, may be too late. But the plus DOES have a few extras. Both front windows have auto up/down, rear center armrest with cupholders, heated side mirrors (not too big a deal in FL, but nice to have on misty mornings). The exclaim even more.

Write down your mpg's for your '14, payment, insurance and do the same for the '16. If they let you, i would try and trade up. Some folks on here will secretly call you stupid. But they are not you. Only YOU know if you were right in trading in the '14. If it makes you happy, that's all that matters.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,639 Posts
Well, Kittywolf, I'm having trouble following your parents' logic or should I say line of reasoning. But it's all experience that we build on.

You were a good distance away from warranty expiration in your 2014. You're even further away in your 2016, but if your miles/day are the same then in two years you may be having the same discussion.

I've traded a lot for a lot of years. Some, most, were good. A couple I had ??? afterwards.

I don't know if time has expired regarding Florida law and doing a return, but...If this discussion were taking place BEFORE you'd traded, I'd suggest the + model. And fish around if the dealer doesn't have the color you prefer. Shop dealers.

The Plus with the 2.0 doesn't get significantly better MPG, but it's torquier and IMO more pleasant to drive having owned a 2013 base model and now a 2015 Plus.

Mine has the UVO and backup cam.

One thing I frequently do when I buy a new car is work a trade for different tires. This worked VERY well for my 2013, whose tires were most unsatisfactory. I swapped out for 215.60.15 Michelin Defenders which made the car a whole different and pleasant vehicle. Smoother, quieter, just all-around better. Too bad makers don't spend more time considering tires.

Good luck, however it turns out.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I'm glad everyone here is so supportive and nice, because the whole thing completely blows my mind. I mean if the parents paid for it, then it's their money, otherwise, I don't get it.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'm glad everyone here is so supportive and nice, because the whole thing completely blows my mind. I mean if the parents paid for it, then it's their money, otherwise, I don't get it.
Exactly, unless the car payment is lower and there was no out of pocket cash, why bother?
You'll be back in the same position as you were before w/ the milage and warranty unless you find a job closer.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I put in a lot of mileage not because of my day to day job, (I mean it adds to it) but due to my personal business... were i will log 500+ miles in a weekends time. I couldnt afford any upgrades hence the base for a base... but i guess i'll just leave this at this then. i just wanted to see if anyone knew of anything i should be aware of about the 16, then again it hasnt been out long probably... so yeah. forget i asked. for the record ive kept all my previous cars for years before buying a new one... my 14 was the first new though...

·
Registered
489 Posts
So if the payment is the same and no more downpayment and you don't care that you basicly rented a car for 2 years then you are fine. You did get use out of it for 2 years so the payments didn't go in the trash. With me I traded my 13 base to a 14 base then to a 15 +. All with no more than 5K miles on each so don't feel bad lol. But I did get MORE car each time I traded-in but I also lost money each time I did that. I can't fully regret it because the 15+ is SO much more car than my 13 base was. I do regret getting the 14 base. I should of went with the 14+ or 15+ that way I wouldn't of had to trade the 3rd time. And the same situation, I went in for an oil change on my 13 and WHAM.. came home with a new 14. It's all live and learn but in the end are you happy? If so, money comes and money goes.. Live and be happy.

·
Registered
799 Posts
right! 1. Only worry about making you happy
2. Live and be happy!

Resist and throw out anything else written on this thread!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Don't let it blow your mind. I did the same thing.....I wasn't happy with the 1.6L on my 2014 so I traded it for a 2015 with 2.0L. Couldn't be happier. I even got the same color and no one ever noticed. No explanations needed!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,474 Posts
You accomplished your goal. You essentially got the exact same car, but with no mileage on it.

The things that are important to you today & how you make decisions may change as you get older. Buyers remorse is normal, so don't beat yourself up over it.

If it were your own money, it may have been a different story. Just remember this: your Kia Soul won't fall apart when the 5 year or 60,000 mile base warranty expires. It doesn't work that way. If you used just math to make your decision, the answer would have been different.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts