Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX with 3 pedals!
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeing high idle speed ~1300 rpm at start up and the first mile or so of driving when coolant temp is low. This typically would not be bothersome with an automatic transmission, but with the manual tranny it makes the first few starts from a stop look like amateur hour. Thus my question, are other MT drivers seeing high idle when engine is cool? I assume it is typical behavior for the NU engine.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Is this your first car? Engines have been racing (fast idle) on startup for at least the last 60 years, that I can remember.
So what's your problem?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not complaining! I have driven over 6 different vehicles with a manual tranny. This one is the first one in which i recall fast idle interfering with starting off from a stop and the 1-2 shift. Maybe i will get used to it in a few more months.

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,079 Posts
what kind of outside temperature are taking place when you get this fast idle. Mine can go higher than that initially depending on the temperature at the time and then starts dropping in stages as it warms up. Sounds like normal operation to me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what kind of outside temperature are taking place when you get this fast idle. Mine can go higher than that initially depending on the temperature at the time and then starts dropping in stages as it warms up. Sounds like normal operation to me.
Living in northwest Florida, somewhere between 30F and 70F for lows. I think it was about 65F this am and it started idleing at about 1300, but by the first mile it had dropped back down.

i think most of my problem is not timing the accelerator correctly because the engine is already rev’d to about where i like it to be to tale off from a light.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the turbo GT-Line but yeah same here. I put it in sport mode and it smooths out a bit while warming up...Just have to ease off the accelerator a bit so I don’t bring up the rpms too high before the car is fully warm.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
You can't over-rev the engine, while warming up or any other time, if you're in Park or Neutral.
The computer (ECC Rev Limiter) won't let you. Go ahead and try it.
On my non-turbo 2.0L engine, the max RPM I can get in Park or Neutral, is 2500 rpm.
I can't believe that it would be very much different on the 1.6L Turbo.

I don't even understand the need for a conversation about "high idle" on a cold engine. My first car was a 1957 Chevy, and it had that same feature, and every car I've owned since then, likewise.

Stay Healthy
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I can assure you on the LX with manual transmission that you can redline it while trying to take off from first gear. I watched my wife do it while i was in the passenger seat. I am pretty sure it will do it while in neutral too. Edit: Confirmed with it in neutral car will rev past 4,000 rpm.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Yes sir, but you're IN GEAR with some LOAD on the engine. You're not revving the engine against NO LOAD.
That's what blows up engines!
In Neutral, the computer should NOT let you race the engine, and if it does, then something's BROKE, and should be fixed ASAP!
Please....before you "Assure" me, or anyone of something, you should first know what you're talking about. OK?

Stay safe and stay Healthy,

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl ~56K km (35K miles) Michelin CrossClimate tires
209 Posts
Living in northwest Florida, somewhere between 30F and 70F for lows. ......
Hmm. Not what I would call "cold" but maybe American Soul owners have their own peculiar definition of what constitutes "cold".

An initial idle of 1,300 rpm that lasts more than a few seconds or even a minute strikes me as excessively high.

Did the Soul idle like this from the very beginning or is this an issue that has developed some time after driving it off the lot?

Have you asked the technicians at the Kia dealership if this is normal?

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl ~56K km (35K miles) Michelin CrossClimate tires
209 Posts
@FLHamaster: Are you experiencing an extended warm-up period of of ~1,300 rpms. Just curious.

How long do you allow the vehicle to idle before driving away?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm. Not what I would call "cold" but maybe American Soul owners have their own peculiar definition of what constitutes "cold".

An initial idle of 1,300 rpm that lasts more than a few seconds or even a minute strikes me as excessively high.

Did the Soul idle like this from the very beginning or is this an issue that has developed some time after driving it off the lot?

Have you asked the technicians at the Kia dealership if this is normal?
Yes from day 1. If it did it other than when the gauge is below about 1/2 way to normal operating temp I would have taken it back to dealer. My current working theory is that it is trying to get the Catalyst warmed up. I currently live in a grided neighborhood so there are 5 stops in the first mile of my commute, i typicall get into 2nd and then coast to the next stop sign. After that it is 3 miles at 55 mph before my next stop. Thinking about where i lived all the other times I had a manual, it was at least a mile at 55 mph before my first stop.

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
569 Posts
Yes from day 1. If it did it other than when the gauge is below about 1/2 way to normal operating temp I would have taken it back to dealer. My current working theory is that it is trying to get the Catalyst warmed up. I currently live in a grided neighborhood so there are 5 stops in the first mile of my commute, i typicall get into 2nd and then coast to the next stop sign. After that it is 3 miles at 55 mph before my next stop. Thinking about where i lived all the other times I had a manual, it was at least a mile at 55 mph before my first stop.
I appreciate your description of your driving conditions. clear driving pattern info.
Much different than mine. Let us see what others have experienced.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
@FLHamaster: Are you experiencing an extended warm-up period of of ~1,300 rpms. Just curious.
How long do you allow the vehicle to idle before driving away?
I'm so used to all cars having a "fast Idle" at startup, I don't even think about it. (that's just the way cars have been built for as long as I can remember. My 57 Chevy had it.)
As soon as you put the car in gear, the idle will come back down anyway, so it's not a big deal.
Wait time before driving = maybe five seconds! lol It takes that long for the car's ECC to do through its self diagnostics.
As soon as I put the shifter in "D", my little Jem is off and running, out my driveway and onto the road before I ever even have to touch the GO Pedal.
Then I have to deal with 8" to 10" of dry sand, which is much more troublesome than a fast idle. Eh?

Be safe and stay healthy !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts