Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today,
My Souls fan motor/blower has quit. With 65,000 miles it’s out of warranty.

I checked the basic’s, no change, compressor is engaging, but nothing is blowing !

My question is: :confused:
Should I bring this to the Dealer or a Independent shop ?
Just curious what most would do.

I’m gonna look on-line some more & KiaTec for clue’s, :think
If possible, I would like to try to fix it myself. :p

Been 100+ degree's here for months, just Last night we saw a cooling trend start,
So timing is good for this type of falure. :cool:

:D

·
Registered
330 Posts
its probably resister instead of the motor itself. resister are dime-a-dozen and should be easy to change.
What he said. Could be a fuse or resistor pack. I would check the cabin air filter to make sure it isn't clogged, then remove the fan and make sure it spins. You could power it up off the battery to check it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Good point, have you replaced your cabin filter? It should have been replaced at least 3 or 4 times with the miles you have on your soul. If the filter was badly clogged it would make your blower motor work harder. If the motor spins freely, I would look at the resistor, as already stated.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
if the car has a full Kia service history and is only just out of warranty..... would your regular dealer "do you a favour" and do the repair cheaper?....worth asking.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Follow up ......
2 hrs after initial post, I drove home, tried fan couple times, nada
Got home & decided to try again & it started, all speeds, seemed like I could hear some rumbling at certain speeds,
Worked 1/2 the time today & tonight, gonna look at replacing the motor myself on Saturday ( 2 days ).

Answers :

Yes Dusty, but now cool, Phoenix

Checked fuses 1st, swapped out relays, visual checked around

Might check with dealer still, but they hate my car, tons of mods & they always treaten to void warr.

I replaced cabin filter 1yr ago & again 2 months ago after the Mega Haboob ( dust storm )
Is this the way to the fan motor ??

Where/What resistor ?? Now that fan works intermittently, does that eliminate this resistor ??

·
Registered
564 Posts
I would guess that it is the resistor. I have yet to sell one for the Soul. But you never know.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Follow up ......

Where/What resistor ?? Now that fan works intermittently, does that eliminate this resistor ??

it actually reinforces that it can be resister by working intermittently. Resister consists of filament and usually located next to the blower motor screw on to the blower housing. It usually is a simple replacement and easy to access. Look below/behind the glove box and look for couple of wires plugging into the blower motor housing. Unscrew and pull it out and check the filament for cut/break.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts