Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i had a 2017 base and now a 2018. Neither had uvo or navi. My 2018 has auto climate control which i hate. Both harnesses are the same in regards to hooking up an aftermarket radio. I have an android 6.0 head unit from Kunfine. I would not recommend anyone buy feom Kunfine becaise their post sale customer service is horrible. BTW, android 8.0 is a major upgrade and i recommend all to do it if possible.

Anyway. On the car wire harness with the power and grounds, the reverse trigger wire is the grey w/ black runner on it. It is in the far opposite corner. Mine sends 12 volts to the factory camera.

The metra harness i got did not include this wire so after probing every wire, the absolute last one I tested was it of course.

So, I spliced into this wire and connected it to the reverse wire coming from the new radio and the camera power wire coming from the metra harness. Now all you have to do is connect the camera ground from the metra harness to one of the other grounds in the metra harness. Then just plug in your rca wires from the radio and metra harness. Thats it.

Ive read someone else suggesting buying two metra harnesses and a pin extractor to make one complete harness. Its a great idea but i didnt want to wait.

See attached photos.

Hope this helps somebody.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yup that was me who suggested buying a second harness. I wish Metra would just upgrade their harnesses and include all the necessary wiring, but they don't. If you tap into factory wires I recommend Posi-Taps over any other kind. I've used them and they work very well indeed. Nice pics and write-up, good info!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,476 Posts
Great write up & pics Blue. Do you have full use of steering wheel/phone buttons?

I've been wondering about Andriod 8 (Oreo). What impressed you about it?

I don't know anyone yet who has 9 (Pie).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Positaps are great too but o dont have access to them where im at unfortunately.

Pie doesn't exist yet for the android head unit. I still havent loaded it on my pixel 2 xl yet.

8.0 runs so much smoother and faster. Also, it is much more intuitive for a car stereo. Im using the Hal9X Rom and love all the customization options. It honestly runs like a brand new toy from 2018.

Here is the rom link.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...nt/rom-hal9k-rom-3-mtcd-e-head-units-t3847477

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Interesting, I may upgrade the ROM for 6.0. It works pretty well, but there are a couple of bugs and I hate the radio layout.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting, I may upgrade the ROM for 6.0. It works pretty well, but there are a couple of bugs and I hate the radio layout.
Yes, the new radio layout is so much better!!! Mine ran good too but 8.0 is so much better and all the tweaks in the custom rom are nice!!

The upgrade is super easy. You just need the filea in the first post on xda, a sdcard and usb drive. Just make sure your unit is compatible.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Yes, the new radio layout is so much better!!! Mine ran good too but 8.0 is so much better and all the tweaks in the custom rom are nice!!

The upgrade is super easy. You just need the filea in the first post on xda, a sdcard and usb drive. Just make sure your unit is compatible.
So you went from Android 6.0 to 8.0 too?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Yep, just upgraded to 8.0. Looks nice, still trying to figure out some stuff, like which apps to whitelist. Also, is it me or the resolution got a bit worse?

If you find some cool and not very obvious features, please share.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You can buy Posi-taps on Amazon! If you look locally you won't find anything as good or if they are available high priced! It's also interesting you mention the factory camera uses 12V. That means upgrading as you did is a lot easier as a lot of OEM use 6V camera's.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah i thought the 12v was strange too because ive read people having 8-9 volts and using a voltaged step down. I didnt measure voltage at the camera with the stock radio. I just measured the voltage on the reverse signal wire which o assumed is what powered the camera. And the positaps.... You know when your head deep into a project and dont have them..... Who wants to wait? Lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Were you able to hook up the factory microphone? The one built into the radio faceplate works but id dig into it if i had the wire colors. I didnt hook up factory USB or audio in because i dont use them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In some of the basic reading i've done, i thought you'd have to get a voltage step-down as well. You haven't run into any issues without having that thus far?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought the voltage step down but when i tested my signal, it was 12v so i didnt use it. Every thing has been fine since the install.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts