Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my local dealership had a 2018 Exclaim listed on its website and since I just purchased a '17 Exclaim a few months ago I wanted to see if there were any changes to the look of the car. Drove over just now to check it out when the dealership was closed. I found the '18 White Exclaim they had listed and it looked just like my '17, so no changes that I could see.

On my way out of the dealership an Orange Exclaim parked in a different part of the lot caught my eye. It was also an '18. The list price is $28, 450. The additional features listed were sunroof ($1,000), Tech package ($,3000) and something they are calling Exclaim Special Edition Package ($500), which amounts to different style wheels and a real spoiler.

I didn't think this color was available in the states, so I was shocked to see it. Cool color, but I still like my white one better :)

Cheers!

20181.JPG 20182.jpg

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,401 Posts
Nice recon work Buffalo!

Here come the $30,000 Souls.......

Reactions: FLHamster

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Anyone else think that's way too much dough for a car that still has a torsion beam rear?

I'm eyeballing the 2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport, has the same turbo engine and 7 speed DCT as the Soul Turbo, and comes with a multilink independent rear:
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Preview | J.D. Power Cars
Kia artificially inflates their MSRP, only to bring down the price via rebates. I bet there will be up to $5K rebates on that Soul. You're definitely a sucker if you pay anywhere near invoice.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Anyone else think that's way too much dough for a car that still has a torsion beam rear?

I'm eyeballing the 2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport, has the same turbo engine and 7 speed DCT as the Soul Turbo, and comes with a multilink independent rear:
Hey werz, I was thinking the exact same thing about the torsion bar. The new Elantra GT Sport turbo really hit all the right notes. That's what Kia should do with the Soul. Time for baby to grow up!

·
Registered
171 Posts

I was just "building my own" Elantra Sport GT yesterday. Bummed that you can't get the tech package and Pano sunroof with the 6 speed. Lost interest. But definitely cool having the multilink rear and a nice interior.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I was just "building my own" Elantra Sport GT yesterday. Bummed that you can't get the tech package and Pano sunroof with the 6 speed. Lost interest. But definitely cool having the multilink rear and a nice interior.
I've seen a few posts here and on other forums about issues with the panoramic sunroof mechanism.. living in the south I don't think I'd get much use from it anyway without introducing a ton of extra heat!

I'm willing to skip the packages, I just want that turbo and DCT hah!

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Kia artificially inflates their MSRP, only to bring down the price via rebates. I bet there will be up to $5K rebates on that Soul. You're definitely a sucker if you pay anywhere near invoice.

If you are a recent college grad who served in the military and drives for uber part time and you stand on 1 leg, facing the sun with one eye open and your last name ends in a vowel and your credit rating is 1 bazillion or better then you can probably qualify for every rebate ever offered and drive out the door for free!

·
Registered
458 Posts
If you are a recent college grad who served in the military and drives for uber part time and you stand on 1 leg, facing the sun with one eye open and your last name ends in a vowel and your credit rating is 1 bazillion or better then you can probably qualify for every rebate ever offered and drive out the door for free!
Haha yeah, when I bought my Kia Soul I managed to get the college grad discount for myself, and by having my dad sign on the paperwork too I was able to use his military discount. Knocked off at least a grand IIRC, but no more rebates than that

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
With the Turbo Soul only available with the Exclaim trim package, and selling for $27k, I'm going to research the BASE Soul, 1.6L, AT with NO Frills.

I'm in no hurry to get a new car, but I'm just curious, what is the very least that a person can pay for a new 2018 Soul. All the dealers around here are running sales on the new models, So I'll find out just how badly they really want to sell one.

:cool:

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
^^^^ We need to get you into a Gen2 FL! Then you can see what the hubub is all about. Remember when conwel finally took the plunge?

It's like when Kafka went from black & white to color (or the Wizard of Oz).

:)

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I've added so many things to my 2013 Soul, that would in some cases be impossible to duplicate on a 2018. Right now, I'm just not ready to give up my great little car for one that I know would not be so great.
Trading cars right now, would be a Loose, Loose, proposition for me.

:cool:

PS: I did test drive the 2014 and 2016 Soul and the 2018 Turbo Soul, and quite frankly, I don't like the feel of them. My next car might just be a Smart Car. lol

Smart Car 3-17-17.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
...I did test drive the 2014 and 2016 Soul and the 2018 Turbo Soul, and quite frankly, I don't like the feel of them. My next car might just be a Smart Car. lol
To be honest, I would be somewhat disappointed if you were to get a new car of any ilk, even another Soul. You can keep this car on the road for another five years and it will do just fine and you will get more of a kick out of taking care of it. You don't need no sinkin' new car. In another ten years of so, your current car will be a classic.

Don't you mean an "Unsmart Car"?

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
FL I agree, little Ivanka is an original & you could never duplicate all you've put into it. Even if you got her a Smart Car sister (little Meelania?) you would be sadly disappointed by comparison.

I only have a fraction of the things you've done, but still 6 solid OEM features that post 2014 Gen2 MT's don't have. I don't want to bother putting all that into a new Soul (at least not yet). Depends on what 2019 has in store. Who knows, the Kia Stonic might turn out to be a looker too????

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Yeah, I have estimated that it would cost me around $1000 extra to duplicate in a 2018 Soul, what I've already done to my 2013.
And, SSD does not even make a Strut Tower Brace for the Gen-2's. Or so I've been told.

And I doubt that any dealer would put my 15" wheels and tires on a new Soul.

Honestly, and I don't mean any disrespect to any Gen-2 Soul owners, but I don't like the roadability of the new Souls with the 18" wheels & Tires. And those Nexen tires are well known as not being the very best. When I did a quick turn test on the 2018 Soul Turbo, it literally wallowed like an old sow.
I pointed it out to the young Salesman, riding with me, and he just shrugged. That car screams for smaller wheels and an Anti-Sway bar.

I know y'all think I'm either daft or kidding, but I do think I could be very happy with a Smart Car.
I've seen them humming along at 70+ mph, out on the highway, and they are sure easy to park.
And I can only guess, that they are great on the gas mileage.
And with the gas prices going up, that would be great! And I even saw one towing a small cargo trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DcM-gOT7Fw

I may start running my tires at 50 psi, to just get the best MPG that I can, during the time of highest gas prices. And I always seem to get better performance right after an oil change, so I may have to start changing my oil every 1500 miles.

Hey, a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do! Eh?

Happy Trails, Mates!
FL Hamster :cool:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I know y'all think I'm either daft or kidding, but I do think I could be very happy with a Smart Car.
I've seen them humming along at 70+ mph, out on the highway, and they are sure easy to park.
And I can only guess, that they are great on the gas mileage.
And with the gas prices going up, that would be great! And I even saw one towing a small cargo trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DcM-gOT7Fw

Hey, a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do! Eh?

Happy Trails, Mates!
FL Hamster :cool:
If you want junk get a Smart car, my neighbour had one and it spent more time at the dealers than it did with him. Almost all repairs have to go to the dealer as independents are not equipped to service them. In two instances the engine had to come out to replace an inaccessible sensor, great engineering EH! In addition they ride like a buck board, require premium gas, and the gas milage is not outstanding for such a minuscule car. Even the windshield wipers had to be bought from the dealer as no independent shop carried them. Finally remember they are essentially a Mercedes with the high servicing costs associated with that brand.
Stick with the Soul it is a better car every day of the week and twice on a Sunday.

Pat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just bought the '18 ! with tech and sunroof in titanium grey for a little under $26k. Coming from a '13 veloster turbo, the Soul feels more premium even though it's in the same price range, and even has the same engine, but I needed something with more room to haul scuba gear around, and the Soul is just more comfortable. I also dont think ill be replacing the stock entertainment system in 6 months like i did with the veloster. The only thing that is srrange is the lack of the autonomous driving features that the + has.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts