Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the exhaust size for the 2.0L Soul?

I have 2 never been used Borla ProXS mufflers I bought back in 05 and was thinking if I could use 1 of them. They might be to big in diameter so i need the size.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I don't think diameter matters...if the pipe is an issue you can use an expander or reducer pipe to attach it to the existing exhaust system....you may need to fab some hangers though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well I don't want it to have a "fart can" effect if its over sized. Even with a ProXS a 2.0L can still sound like a stupid Honda. Wouldn't using a over sized, expander or reducer mess with back pressure?

The 2 I have were originally bought with a supercharger that I was going to put on my Tbird but never installed it. Its a oval design 2.5" center in, offset out (2.5",14" x 9.5", 4" oval cen/off). If it don't work no biggie it would just save a few bucks from buying a new one. If I knew the proper size I could just sell these and buy a smaller one.

Edit: looking through my pictures, where the hell is the exhaust even located? Its all hidden.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Reducer = restriction = back pressure = no good.
Expander = "Fart can" as said above.

Without getting complicated and investigating the real effects of changing exhaust with out modifying intake and tuning engine, at least stick with exactly the same inlet diameter if going for an after market muffler.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I guess I stand corrected....:eek:
When I worked autoparts, I'd sell anyone anything they wanted.

But the engineers didn't just pick the catalytic, exhaust size, and muffler design at random.

The air filter, Inlet manifold, cylinder head and valves, exhaust manifold, exhaust pipe size, catalytic, and muffler design, and the sensors and tuning as well, are all a part of one system. Mess with one part without monitoring the effect on the others, and you might just not get the results you were after...

·
Registered
447 Posts
I had a Magnaflow catback on my previous car and it sounded (and looked) awesome... but I have to admit I kinda like the "invisible" exhaust on my Soul...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yeah, a friend asked where the muffler was, and all I could say was "under it." It wasn't until I put the hitch on that I noticed where the muffler was. Considering the engine runs at 3100 RPM on the highway, I would be careful with which muffler is used, as that could be a loud drone to deal with day in, and day out.

·
Registered
728 Posts
The Soul uses a naturally aspirated engine and is known as an internal combustion chamber and it's intake and exhaust fall into the relm of Fluid Power Engineering.

A turbo charged engine is known as a hot air pump and also follows the rules associated with Fluid Power Engineering. It follows different rules because it is not an internal combustion chamber anymore, but a hot air pump.

The naturally aspirated engine needs back pressure to maintain exhaust velocity and scavanging effects at the exhaust ports. You can think of your garden hose with out a nozel... the water... no velocity, but lots of flow. With the correct nozel the water will have large flow and high velocity.

Without going into too much theory. Most naturally aspirated engines (internal combustion chambers) run a better with only slightly larger (0.25" larger) intakes and exhaust than the oem. Going too large is as bad as going too small.

·
Registered
373 Posts
A turbo charged engine is known as a hot air pump
WTF? An engine is an ICE regardless of whether Turbo'd, Supercharged, of NA. What changes in the calculations is the intake pressures and the cylinder charge.

You can think of your garden hose with out a nozel... the water... no velocity, but lots of flow. With the correct nozel the water will have large flow and high velocity.
Can't have flow without velocity.

But you are right about big being as bad as small.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscellaneous/exhausttheory.htm

Worse still is the idea that a cat-back system is likely to get you much improvement. Best case scenario it just moves the restriction to the CAT.

Simply throwing on bigger air filters after ripping out the resonator and air intake system is similarly a silly pursuit.

·
Registered
728 Posts
The engine of a turbocharged car is still an internal combustion chamber at start up but shortly after due to the dynamics of fluidpower it more closely resembles a hot air pump.

Remeber there is an overlap in the duration the exhaust valves and the intake valves are open.

The turbocharged engine creates hot gas (exhaust) that turns a turbine that compresses a gas (intake air) that gets put into the engine, creating more pressure in the cylinders which is compressed and squeezed out the ehaust... and the cycle repeats. The more exhaust the more pressure at the intake. Once the cycle starts (if it were not for friction) there would be no need for spark or gasoline and the system would run away until it detonates itself from the intake pressure unless given a release (blow off valve or bypass valve).

Backpressure is not needed (bad) with a turbo charged engine because the input velocity and pressure forces the air into the intake (positive pressure at the intake) and it forces the exhaust out.

Backpressure is needed with a naturally aspirated engine because the scavenging / siphoning effect of the exhaust velocity (negative pressure at the intake) helps draws the air in.

I'm sorry if you are unable to grasp these concepts.

Regards

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sober, you're inventing ****.

WTF is a "hot air pump"?

ALL engines create hot exhaust gas. Turbos restrict your exhaust and use the power to compress intake air.

The following is total BS.

"Once the cycle starts (if it were not for friction) there would be no need for spark or gasoline and the system would run away until it detonates itself from the intake pressure unless given a release (blow off valve or bypass valve)."

Me thinks you've confused TURBINE engines, the type used in aircraft, with TURBO-Charged engines.

Read up young Grasshopper. You may yet learn the true ways of the combustion engine. :p

·
Registered
728 Posts
SlartyBartFast

You have obvioulsly never been schooled in Fluidpower and do not understand that the turbo is the turbine.

This is not the place to debate thermal dynamics and fluidpower engineering.

Cheers:)

·
Registered
373 Posts
SlartyBartFast

You have obvioulsly never been schooled in Fluidpower and do not understand that the turbo is the turbine.

This is not the place to debate thermal dynamics and fluidpower engineering.

Cheers:)
Oh really? Guess I got my bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering with a Automotive Design major from a cereal box. :rolleyes:

And that all those SAE school projects building and modifying cars was just my imagination.

No one I have ever talked to has reffered to an engine as a "hot air pump". So either you do not speak English as a first language and are misinterpreting some term or you're making things up.

A turbocharger or supercharger increases the pressure delivered to the combustion chamber. Nothing more, nothing less. More pressure = More air = possibility of more fuel = more power.

Too much pressure would not result in runaway self-ignition. It would result in destructive pre-ignition or engine knock.

BTW, a turbo compressor IS indeed a turbine, but it is not an axial turbine engine. The fact that you bring up that point shows you fail to comprehend my point.

Exhaust scavenging (another phenomena you seem to misunderstand) occurs when the exhaust is well tuned and at a given rpm, the pressure waves in the exhaust resonate and cause negative pressure at the exhaust valves during the critical and brief moment of exhaust and intake valve overlap.

Not the place to debate? It's a forum buddy. If you're not prepared to back up your claims or have your posts challenged, feel free not to post. But you don't get to decide who can respond or what makes legitimate forum content.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Sorry CAP

SlartyBartFast and I have taken this thread way off topic.

Anyone know the exhaust size for the 2.0L Soul?

I have 2 never been used Borla ProXS mufflers I bought back in 05 and was thinking if I could use 1 of them. They might be to big in diameter so i need the size.
I wouldn't recomend anything larger than 2.25".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts