Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roommate used my 2011 Soul today and when is came back it sounded like a race car without a cat. Upon lifting it up, I found a crushed pipe and what looks like a skinned knee on the oil Pan. I don’t know if the oil Pan needs replaced? What to ask for when i take to mechanic? Is this going to be a major fix??!
Atmosphere Water Black Wood Sunlight

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Tread

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Tire Automotive design

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Rim

·
Registered
682 Posts
I think the oil pan survived. It looks like a good scuff, but I don’t see any oil leaking. Which is very good news. Take it to a muffler shop to have the exhaust leak taken care of. (And have them take a closer look for any leaks/cracks in the oil pan just to be sure) Probably will need a new front/flex pipe. Don’t let the roommate drive it anymore 😆

·
Registered
302 Posts
Great pictures! Looks like room mate went off roading over something concrete - curb, island, etc; in addition to the above, you might want to have the front and rear suspension checked and also get an alignment; wheels checked for being bent. Maybe room mate will pitch in on the cost. Happens to the best of us (personal recognition here, my yesteryear Plymouth Duster will testify).

·
Registered
936 Posts
I had a room mate that was bending regularly his car rims. Usually Friday nights, early Saturday mornings...
Next week was in junkyards to look for replacements.

·
Registered
2011 Soul, 2.0 Auto +
92 Posts
Hello, I also have a 2011 Soul, but that is beside the point. I was an Auto damage Appraiser, now retired. If you have collision coverage you should be able to make a claim. This would be considered Collision. Of course, the deductible would apply. But a couple of things to consider are if it would effect rates but since you did not actually cause the damage yourself, I would think not. Also, the damage could easily cost 2000.00 or more, I’m not sure what the value of the vehicle is but it could potentially be considered a total loss, most insurance companies do a cost analysis if the repair is 50% of the value, if you really like the vehicle, you could do a salvage retention but that is another whole thing. If you do not have Collision coverage you may be able to go through her coverage. Coverage first follows the car but if there isn’t any then it follows the driver.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Roommate used my 2011 Soul today and when is came back it sounded like a race car without a cat. Upon lifting it up, I found a crushed pipe and what looks like a skinned knee on the oil Pan. I don’t know if the oil Pan needs replaced? What to ask for when i take to mechanic? Is this going to be a major fix??! View attachment 138265
View attachment 138267
View attachment 138264
View attachment 138266
Hello, not sure if you got this fixed yet but here is my 2 cents on the topic. First of all the flex pipe issue is a common problem with the 2010 and 2011 years. Since it is technically the Lowest point of the undercarriage it takes the most impact from bumps, potholes, and debris in the road. Saying this I had mine replaced about 3 times already. I paid $100 each time and the last time I ended up having my weirder custom install a different pipe. Not sure what happened with your roommates driving but I hope this brings piece of mind.

Follow my YouTube for kia soul repairs, DIYs and etc. Asphalt_Boxer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Roommate used my 2011 Soul today and when is came back it sounded like a race car without a cat. Upon lifting it up, I found a crushed pipe and what looks like a skinned knee on the oil Pan. I don’t know if the oil Pan needs replaced? What to ask for when i take to mechanic? Is this going to be a major fix??! View attachment 138265
View attachment 138267
View attachment 138264
View attachment 138266
Don't leave us hanging. :) What did the roommate say happened?

·
Registered
682 Posts
For a One Post Wonder, she took really good pictures!

• Haha
Reactions: westslope
1 - 9 of 9 Posts