Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Hamstars;
I have a 2012 Kia Soul(!) and I was looking into getting a muffler or tip but I don't know the dimensions of the inlet sizes or what brand wont make it sound like a bumble bee on steroids. Any ideas?

Much Appreciated.

:)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Tips are for looks , they won't change the sound noticeably . If you really want to make noise with your Soul ,go to reputable muffler shop and tell them what you want .

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hard to make a I4 sound good IMO, Nissan has the V6 down pat with the Z370, I believe it is the best sounding V6 out there. I really do not want my Soul to rumble, it isn't that kind of vehicle; again IMO, and the 164hp is excellent for a stock motor.

·
Registered
847 Posts
There is no way a 4 banger can ever be made to sound like a V8. The most you can do is have it sound like a bunch of pissed off bees.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The stock piping on a soul is 2.25", you can take it to a shop, have them remove the muffler and resonator and make up an axelback exhaust for you. the magna flow straight thru mufflers sound really good on a soul. i have a blackworks fart can on mine and it sounds nasty mean. sounds like a 350z with a quiet muffler on it. so yes, its possible to get a really good sound out of it, you just have to be willing to put in the work and experiment

·
Registered
82 Posts
I did a muffler delete on mine, with a glasspack as a resonator with straight piping going out into a blast pipe. I love the sound!

1432770136513.jpg

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
You can make a 4cyl have deep throaty powerful sound . I put a Solo cat back system on my Veloster Turbo and it sounds real good ! Not like a rice-burner , guess it sounds like a Korean-kooker :racing2::racing2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the help guys! I'm heading back to school and I don't trust the shops around my school to touch my car. lol So, I was just looking for something to hold me over in the mean time. Need more low and need more loud. duh.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hard to make a I4 sound good IMO, Nissan has the V6 down pat with the Z370, I believe it is the best sounding V6 out there. I really do not want my Soul to rumble, it isn't that kind of vehicle; again IMO, and the 164hp is excellent for a stock motor.
I was rolling next to a 370 yesterday and with my modified exhaust we literally had nearly identical sounding exhaust tones, mine was louder.

·
Registered
222 Posts
thanks for the help guys! I'm heading back to school and I don't trust the shops around my school to touch my car. lol So, I was just looking for something to hold me over in the mean time. Need more low and need more loud. duh.
More lowwwwww. Always need more low. I actually just sold my sound system to get more low lol, then I'll work on even more loud.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think you're delusional or wishful thinking. :ridiculed:
There is NO way a 4cyl will sound like a 6cyl.
you're quite wrong, a buddy of mine drives a 96 pontiac firebird v6 and the soul sounds beefier and deeper toned than his v6. you'd actually be amazed with how exhaust technology has changed over the years, and whats actually possible anymore. you should look into some of the engineering behind a lot of newer exhausts, how they're formed, the shapes, chambers, baffles etc. its amazing what can be done to change the tone of exhaust now a days.

·
Registered
552 Posts
you're quite wrong, a buddy of mine drives a 96 pontiac firebird v6 and the soul sounds beefier and deeper toned than his v6. you'd actually be amazed with how exhaust technology has changed over the years, and whats actually possible anymore. you should look into some of the engineering behind a lot of newer exhausts, how they're formed, the shapes, chambers, baffles etc. its amazing what can be done to change the tone of exhaust now a days.
whatever, if you want to believe that then so be it. No I would not be amazed about the technology, if you cannot hear the difference between a 4cyl and a 6cyl then that just tells me about your experience with automobiles.

·
Registered
231 Posts
whatever, if you want to believe that then so be it. No I would not be amazed about the technology, if you cannot hear the difference between a 4cyl and a 6cyl then that just tells me about your experience with automobiles.
The number of cylinders is not the only determining factor in exhaust tone. Pipe diameter, number of bends, muffling/restricting devices also play into what sound your exhaust makes. If you spend enough time and money, anything can be accomplished.

·
Registered
222 Posts
clearly you've never heard a Subaru Impreza STI next to a mustang, id take the STI exhaust notes over a mustang any day. Its much deeper, and more even toned than a v8.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have a mustang GT, I built my first motor out of a Trans AM when I was 16 , this was in '75. I have heard it all, I don't care what kind of "Pipe diameter, number of bends, muffling/restricting devices" you are not going to make a 4cyl sound like a 6 or 8cyl. There is no way to prove this as you see it. Any experienced person can tell the difference. You can make a 6cyl sound good but it will not sound like an 8cyl:rolleyes-new:
YouTube is full of exhaust video's, pick one that a 4cyl sounds like a 6cyl, or a 6 sounds like a 8 etc. Yes you can make any of them sound deep or loud but other than that it stops there.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I think you're delusional or wishful thinking. :ridiculed:
There is NO way a 4cyl will sound like a 6cyl.
At the rate you're talking it sounds to me like you know less about cars than you're trying to make us think. Who are you to tell me what I heard with my own ears is wrong when you weren't there yourself?

·
Registered
847 Posts
come on guys... easy.

You can make a 4 cylinder sound reasonable but it will never sound like a V8 just as a V8 will never sound like a V12. It has to do with the number of cylinders and the pulse rate and displacement of the motor. I happen to believe an old Ford 5.0 can have the best sounding exhaust of all the V8s. Why do you think the motorcycle V Twin bike owners all want to sound like a Harley but can't quite get there.

Just my two cents.

Mark

·
Registered
552 Posts
At the rate you're talking it sounds to me like you know less about cars than you're trying to make us think. Who are you to tell me what I heard with my own ears is wrong when you weren't there yourself?
I do not need to be there to know the physics of a internal combustion engine. Yeah I do not know anything, I just like starting crap with you thinned skinned exhaust experts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts