Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else find it weird that there is no engine cover? There are two threaded holes on the top of the rocker cover that look to me like they could take an engine cover. Also, there is no sound deadning material on the underside of the hood?

Does anyone know if either an engine cover or sound deadning are available as an aftermarket add-on or from a dealer?

I don't find engine noise a problem (mostly beacuse of the 315W sound system!) but reviews i've read say that the engine can sound a bit trashy. This is probably because there is no sound deadning on or around the engine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't mind the hum from the motor. You don't hear it until 75 or 80 MPH.

I could swear I saw an engine cover... maybe even from KIA. But someone else will have to confirm that.

·
Registered
373 Posts
There is a goofy cover sold as an accessory. Fake v6 IIRC.

Someone previously posted a link to a company selling precut sound deadening to install in the doors and under the hood.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
KIA has an engine cover coming out...but what's the point unless its a show car!
As far as soundproofing goes...I'm a Harley man and I like to hear my engine....if I want quiet I would have bought a Cadillac or Lincoln etc...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KIA has an engine cover coming out...but what's the point unless its a show car!
As far as soundproofing goes...I'm a Harley man and I like to hear my engine....if I want quiet I would have bought a Cadillac or Lincoln etc...
I totally agree with hearing the engine, but lets be honest the Kia motor isn't exactly a Harley v-twin and I would've bought a Cadillac or a Lincoln if i wanted to drive an annonymous sofa!
Its not about it being a show car either. But, when you live in a city that uses copious amounts of salt and sand in the winter, i would rather the engine cover get covered in crud (like my VW) than the throttle body and cable assembly. Also if you consider all the attention to design detail on the rest of the car, popping the hood to see no engine dress up is just, as i said originally, weird.

I was also trying to point out that if people have read reviews of the engine being a bit thrashy then no engine cover or sound deadning under the hood could be an explaination. I'm sure that all Cadillac and Lincoln motors sound like they are chewing bolts but as they use engine covers and sound booth like deadning you would know.

If Kia are bringing out an engine cover then its probably due to people saying "Huh? No engine cover.... Thats weird for a modern car"

Anyway, thanks for the link to the sound deadning, that will do the job nicely. Anymore info on the engine cover issue, please keep me updated if anyone hears anything. I want my engine bay to look as nice as the outside.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What's funnier, Soul's euqipped with diesel engines not only have an underhood cover, but also a one between the engine and the passenger compartment

·
Registered
373 Posts
There have been a couple of threads asking about sound-deadening, and the recent thread on installing speakers and applying foam to the factory installed subwoffer enclosure had me thinking.
Anyone consider applying a sound-deadening product to their car?
http://www.quietcoat.com/index.html (WARNING: Annoying audio.)
Removing the interior and carpeting to do a complete application seems like a lot of work. But maybe it would be worth it?
Seems a simple alternative for underhood and inside door panel application.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Oh come on guys... it's not THAT loud.
I dunno, some reviews call it "thrashy sounding" but I don't find it offensive at all.
I come from a car with an air intake and Magnaflow catback exhaust and a Ducati motorbike with carbon slip-ons. I like to be able to hear my motor. The sound of Soul is quite pleasant I think. Why disconnect from the motor? It's the heart of the machine...
If you want to improve one sound on the car, it should be the pathetic, retarded little horn, that's fo sho.
Kris

·
Registered
838 Posts
I'm with ya!

Does anyone else find it weird that there is no engine cover? There are two threaded holes on the top of the rocker cover that look to me like they could take an engine cover. Also, there is no sound deadning material on the underside of the hood?

Does anyone know if either an engine cover or sound deadning are available as an aftermarket add-on or from a dealer?

I don't find engine noise a problem (mostly beacuse of the 315W sound system!) but reviews i've read say that the engine can sound a bit trashy. This is probably because there is no sound deadning on or around the engine.
What you mentioned is my major peev!

I called kia yesterday to ask them wtf's up with that and they used their usual "we'll look into it". I did see a website that showed both the 1.6L and 2.0L with engine shrouds. And yes, there needs to be underhood sound insulation as well, if for no other reason than to complete the engine bay. For now, it looks unfinished and incomplete. If anyone finds anything please let me know. I will look for the page with the pics.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Actually, it's not loud at all. For me it has to do with completing the engine bay itself as it looks incomplete without the shroud at minimum.

·
Registered
838 Posts
No, don't want to do that!

There have been a couple of threads asking about sound-deadening, and the recent thread on installing speakers and applying foam to the factory installed subwoffer enclosure had me thinking.
Anyone consider applying a sound-deadening product to their car?
http://www.quietcoat.com/index.html (WARNING: Annoying audio.)
Removing the interior and carpeting to do a complete application seems like a lot of work. But maybe it would be worth it?
Seems a simple alternative for underhood and inside door panel application.
applying foam to the subwoofer enclosure reduces the volumetric size, which it needs to reproduce the lower part of the bass spectrum with ample resonance. As it looks to be a sealed enclosure, it has no port to help resonate the lows. More technical, with a properly sized port you would gain 3 db in volume for a tuned resonant frequency. 3db is the equivalent of doubling your wattage. BTW, I've heard that the upgraded system is an Infinity system. Is this true?

BTW, for my system, I've tuned the sound by audibly adjusting the fade with my eyes closed so I can aurally hear the balance between front and rear. Then, with my eyes closed, I adjust the bass, mid and treble to my liking. So visually my setting are: 75% on the bass, 40% on the mid, 100% on the treble, and fade is set to 75% favoring rear.

·
Registered
838 Posts
where did you hear this?

NoBo, where did you find out this tid bit of info? I would like to explore this further as I would love to purchase the engine shroud and under hood sound insulation :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts