Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 soul! AT.

from what i understand most of the newer souls have the same inhouse 6 speed auto, so transmission won't be a compatibility issue with newer engines such as the 2.0 sonata Turbo engine.

does anyone have any information about engine placement in our cars? which engines will fit in the soul? which engines have the motor mounts in the right places to be compatible without much work?

from what i read from the search tool in this forum, u would be looking for a FWD engine using the same transmission, there is the 2.4L GDI sonata engine that pushes 198HP there is the 2.0T and there is even the forte 2.4l which i believe is hte same as the sonata except it only gives u 175. (i think).

can anyone confirm if the 6 speed AT transsmission is the same? and what would fit, and engine mounting compatibility?

2012+ engines only, as i would like to stay CARB legal. and u need a newer engine to swap with in order to stay legal.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Just curious, if you have that kind of money to throw away, why not just buy a car with the horsepower you want.
A 5L Mustang should do the trick. Eh?

Just kidding.

good luck,
:cool:

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,010 Posts
begs the question why!

2012/13 Soul transmission A6MF1, 2014 - A6MF1-1
2013/14 Optima 2.0T - A6LF2
2013 Optima 2.4 GDI - A6MF2, 2014 - A6MF2-1
2012/13 Forte 2.4 - A6MF1

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well people ask why, 3000 dollars for an engine swap is chump change compared to a car with that kind of power. on top of this, have u sat inside a mustang or camaro? its not wat u would call a practical car if you have any friends and not drive alone all the time (Back seat). the weight is also over a thousand lbs less than those cars.

so 3 grand plus 20 for the car itself is 23 grand. it is FAR more affordable than say a sonata turbo right out. anyone who talks about buying a brand new car being significantly cheaper must be misinformed. people have talked about turbos for like 2 thousand here and no one said a word about affordability. however this is not that much more expensive, except totally legal.

with that all said, i never said i was gonna do it, i just wanted to know for educational purposes.

so does the A6MF1 only hook up to other engines that come with a stock A6MF1 transmission?

·
Registered
15,010 Posts
interesting thought but something tells me that $3k for an engine swat could be just a start, I doubt if it would be that simple and the Forte 2.4L will be the only one to match up to the current transmission - a lot of expense for a 9 hp gain. You could also kiss your power train warranty goodbye ;)

the 1.6L GDI turbo that is in the Veloster is going to be available in the 2014 Forte 5 shortly, a more "practical" car but not quite as tall as the Soul (about 6" lower), but it will have a good size cargo area when the seats are lowered. It will provide 201 hp with a manual or automatic. MSRP has not yet been announced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
to put things into perspective for most people, normally you wait 100 - 200 thousand miles to do an engine swap. i've heard of complete engine swap ecu etc . making the car work for 4-5 grand. usually these engines are bought with around 20k miles on it. if you like hte look of your car, modern chasis lasts wayyy wayy longer than an engine and thus a swap would be saving you money. and it is an interesting project to do later on down the road. my 2012 has well over 30k miles on it.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Engines, well maintained, should last at least as long as the chassis, or longer. I'll let you know in about ten years!

:cool:

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,536 Posts
KIA should make a Sport Edition using the 2.4 GDI. The 2.0 turbo would also be cool, getting the car down to near 10 lb/HP and making it into a monster. They would sell the bejeezus out of these IMO.
Soul already sells about 10,000 a month. If you had a pocket rocket selling for 20-23 grand...

I doubt it costs significantly more to build a 200~ HP 2.4 GDI vs. a 170~ HP 2.0 GDI. All this stuff is current production, parts is parts.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,536 Posts
Let me rephrase my last post.

BASE ENGINE should be the 2.0 GDI 164 HP.
+ and ! ENGINE should be the 2.4 Optima GDI 200 HP.
AVAILABLE ENGINE should be the 2.0t 270 HP.

The wee engines are fine where c.i. is taxed. It's not in the US. The MPG differential is insignificant. It's possible the 2.4 would get better MPG than the 2.0 since it will have less work to do.

KIA needs to do some serious work on aero. The 1gen Soul had a .42 Cd. I hope the 2gen is better than that, because IMO that's the main reason the Soul has crap highway MPG.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm an old school hot rodder, and have owned many pre emissions cars and trucks. You could build an engine any way you wanted it, you could swap in a V8 to replace a 4 or 6 cylinder, and not have to deal with electronics or the epa. Those days are over, unless you want a really old car. My last old car, which I sold 2 years ago, was a '64 Ford Fairlane, which came with an inline 6 cylinder. I replaced it with a well built 390. Everything on the car was modified. I'm not physically capable of doing that kind of work any more, which is why I switched to newer cars. They are more reliable, and require less maintenance, but the thrill is gone.

I chose the Soul because it seems to be an excellent vehicle to do a lot of traveling in. I intend for traveling to be my new hobby. As for aerodynamics, I also picked it because of the way it looks. Boxy. I don't care for the swoopy cars of today. I'm sure the Forte is a fine car, but I just don't like the looks of it. And I won't be drag racing the Soul, so as long as it keeps up with traffic, gets decent mileage, is comfortable, and can carry a couple of weeks worth of stuff, I'll be very happy with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys and Gals, I'm new to this forum. Recently Divorced and looking to turn my ex's car into a sleeper. I'm wanting to do an engine swap, I know go buy a mustang blah blah blah.... What I want to do is pull up to a mustang with 2 kids in it thinking I'm in a grocery getter. Then floor it and have them going WTF was that. Cost isn't to much of a big deal as long as where not talking 10K or more. I just think it would be the ultimate sleeper. Any ideas?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi Guys and Gals, I'm new to this forum. Recently Divorced and looking to turn my ex's car into a sleeper. I'm wanting to do an engine swap, I know go buy a mustang blah blah blah.... What I want to do is pull up to a mustang with 2 kids in it thinking I'm in a grocery getter. Then floor it and have them going WTF was that. Cost isn't to much of a big deal as long as where not talking 10K or more. I just think it would be the ultimate sleeper. Any ideas?
Build the bottom end, swap the ECU with a Haltech ECU, have a custom turbo manifold made/modify a lancer turbo manifold, garret ball bearing turbo, new fuel injectors, fuel pump, electronic boost gauge, new suspension/coilovers, and an aggressive tune. If you want to go the extra mile, use flexfuel fuel pumps and injectors and run a different tune and pump it full of e85. Bottom end build is probably a grand, turbo manifold anywhere between 150)(for lancer which requires modification) to a grand for a full custom, turbo maybe a couple hundred depends what you're after, fuel system is a couple hundred, 1700$ on the Haltech ECU, and another few hundred getting it tuned and dynoed. That's you're closest to budget build, now I'd also look into a different clutch and flywheel, higher rates axles, and upgraded brakes. Now if you just want a bit more power for 2500$ish you can just buy the jattus turbo kit and it'll just bolt up and there you go, that one also comes with everything you need but also only runs waste gate pressure which is like 6psi

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The car is well balanced for the 130 BHP available. with bigger engine everything would have to change. If you want a boost you need to look at Nitrous or in the future an electric motor boost to transmission. Or you could look at the Big brothers development ( Hyundai) and follow there light weight design with 173BHP 1.6 T-GDI probably to follow as sports Soul one day.
2015 Hyundai Tucson 1.6 T-GDI review | Autocar

Jeff

·
Registered
15,010 Posts
you can kiss most or all of your warranty coverage goodbye :sneakiness: All that work (if its even possible) and thousands of dollars just to see the reaction on someones face - just don't see the point. :think

·
Registered
2010 Kia Soul Sport
10 Posts
Has anyone ever considered EJ205 (2002-2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STI) or K20AC1 (2015-2019 Honda Civic Type R) swapping a Soul? The K20 swap seems more likely, but if you were willing to put some work into it, I'm sure an EJ swap could work too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Has anyone ever considered EJ205 (2002-2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STI) or K20AC1 (2015-2019 Honda Civic Type R) swapping a Soul? The K20 swap seems more likely, but if you were willing to put some work into it, I'm sure an EJ swap could work too.
K24 has already been done, there's a few videos on YouTube and pics spread across a few sites. I'm not sure if the owner is a member here, I know she was on soulhamsters when it was active.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts