Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2016 soul ex with a bad 2.0 engine i went to the dealer to buy a long block but it was back ordered..i was told by a kia dealer parts dept the forte had the same engine... So I purchased forte 2.0 from LKQ because it had less milage only 40k than the soul engine139k they offered LKQ suggested this swap will not work.. I found on kia parts.com that the only difference was the exhaust cam we're different part numbers between the two and the cam sensor was different everything else same ..after looking it up several threads I found from different kia forum say its the same the only difference was the hp forte made over soul and the cam will not make a difference..and it will be a plug and play.. ..Now my question is does anyone know for sure?..is this something I can just install and maybe get my computer reflashed or should I change it to the Kia Souls 2.0 exhaust camshaft and run that any help would be appreciated.. I would like to swap the cam while both engine r out of the car thank you again

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I never tried this. Even in the Soul one 2.0 may not work in another because of the cams. You need to pop the cam sensors out (one 10mm bolt) and take a look at the reluctance wheel on the cams. Some wheels have a half moon shape and some have multiple notches. You can not mix the two. The ECM will only see the correct reluctance wheel. If both of the engines you have happen to have the same reluctance wheel I would think this swap would work, even if the cam is more aggressive on the Forte. There is no such thing as reflashing the ECM, well there is but the way Kia ECM are set up the only programs you can put on it would be for that particular car and the software versions that you can use only vary because of the region you are in and the options on the car such as transmission, immobilizer etc... but it is not like you can just program one option in or out. Also in order to manually install a software version you will need the password for that version.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im doing this swap right now I will keep everyone up to date on what was needed...and what needs charged..Soul lobes on exhaust cam are 38.75 lobes on forte are 39.25... 5 thousands bigger.. Intake cams are the exact same part number.. The only other part that were different was intake manifold part numbers were different.. But the size of the ports and runners are the exact same the forte had 2 spots that had different clips for hoses.. A physical thing is why its different..

·
Registered
725 Posts
@Redbaron690: Ambitious! Good luck. Please do keep us posted. We're rooting for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update.. It lives. The cams had the same half moon design the cam position sensors were the same part number. I used back my old intake is all only because the other had a different part number stamped on it... I'll post a video of it starting if allowed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@bwdz75. Had it right all along . if the timing reluctance wheel looks the same it should work.. Any questions I'll be glad to answer..it will not let me post a video.. Forte had a more aggresive exhaust cam... Is all . I dont know if this is for all fortes or i just got lucky?.. Mine was in a sedan.. Vin was different than mine..but who cares.. It was 500 dollars cheaper than a soul 2.0.. And it had 80 k less miles.. ..whoop whoop..she live and im happy ..

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Get a couple of test drives and see if any codes pop up from the different cam profile. Awesome to know it works. I've replaced and rebuilt a 100 of these engines but I just give the vin to the parts guy and he gets me parts so I never try to mix and match

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul ! 2.0gdi
265 Posts
Very cool, feel any difference with the other cam?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts