Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Engine stops when car get's to normal operating temperature ?

7K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  GeoSoul 
#1 ·
My 2011 Soul base always starts when the engine is cold .... now, as soon as it hits three hashes on the temperature gauge it quits .... if I pour cold water on the motor and let it cool down .... it starts again ? This problem has been progressive .... it used to take hours of driving for this to happen .... now, it shuts down like clock work ! The tachometer stops working at the same time .... later, it works again . I have replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor and the Fuel Pump . I have a Crankshaft Position Sensor on order .... in the mean time I can only go to the market (with the heater on .... it slows engine warm up time) .... and I have to carry a couple of gallons of water with me ? Your advice is appreciated ! Thank you, Monedas

#2 ·
Hi Monedas & welcome to the forum.

I bet this is quite frustrating with your 2011 Soul. How many miles on it?

Being in Baja with the sand and salt, I would double check the grounding points under the hood whether or not it's related to the shutting down.

Have you taken it to a mechanic? Also here is some web based advice. Keep us posted on your progress.

https://www.google.com/search?sclient=tablet-gws&hl=en&site=webhp&source=hp&q=engine+stops+when+it+warms+up&oq=engine+stops+when+it+warms+up&gs_l=tablet-gws.3..0i22i30k1.7888.28876.0.29218.29.25.0.4.4.0.223.2323.20j4j1.25.0....0...1c.1.64.tablet-gws..0.29.2351...0j0i131k1j0i10k1.gGW1O2-N-n0

#4 ·
We owned an AMC Gremlin. It was aptly named.

Did have a V8, which was ridiculous for that POS. Haha!

#5 ·
Should shut down if you have a coolant leak, water pump is the weakest link in the chain ever since they came out with the single drive belt system, but hey, you only have one belt to change!

Shares the same load as the AC compressor, alternator, and even in some cases, the power steering pump as well. But never was a problem before when it had its own belt. Another case of a very limited lubricated bearing, when it wears, wobbles and there goes the seal.

Usually lasts at least 60K miles, but less if you use the AC a lot. Assume you are adding that water to the cooling system, not good either because this can boil off, need antifreeze to increase the boiling point to around 255*F.

#6 ·
To Geo Soul: Thanks, My 2011 base soul has 115,000 miles .... mostly on 250 mile round trips to San Diego .... but, many side trips to San Carlos hot springs .... several creek crossings in the 20 mile round trip from the highway (it never stalls in water crossings, thankfully) . I'm off warranty and taking it to the Kia dealer is out of the question .... good folks, but overnight trips are difficult .... I have to live off the land down here .... fortunately there a many local mechanics who are very reasonable and within walking distance .... I have to get involved in the diagnosis .... and get the parts .... you can't just dump your car and say "Fix it !" .... thanks for the links to google

#8 ·
Nick D: Thanks, My soul has never over heated .... still has the original coolant .... air conditioner still works fine .... I use it every day at least a little (a mechanic told me to use it every day, even if for 5 minutes, to keep the seals lubricated) .... I did have some noisy pulleys .... I believe from my creek crossings .... replaced an idler pulley (new part) and the tension pulley (used part) ! Monedas

#9 ·
Always a question if the temperature gauge is the same sensor for the engine that feeds the ECU. But even using the same sensor the temperature gauge can be reading low.

Like having a Kia and a Hyundai in my garage, both have radiator caps so can use my pressure tester to determine if there are leaks, pump it up to 25 psi and should hold on its gauge. If the gauge goes down, with a fairly clean engine compartment, looking for green.

Water pump has a weep hole, new one is around 35 bucks, no what you mean about shop labor, 90-125 bucks per hour, sure could not afford this when putting seven kids through college. Last kid was two years ago, can finally take it easy.

#10 · (Edited)
Hey Monedas, those Creek Crossings might be hard on the ol' Soul. The area you are in sounds neat. Share some pics if you get a chance.

* the Gen 2 Soul has an engine bay shield that might help mitigate water damage.
* sorry about the video title. scotty kilmers way of warning about water damage.

#11 ·
I've driven through water that was at least 12" deep. But at least on my car, the air intake is not down low, it's right under the leading edge of the hood. If I don't go fast enough to create a Bow-Wave, I'm OK.

:cool:

#13 ·
Water in fuel seems to be a major problem around here, some odd 3,500 gas stations have water in the gas. Many of our airports had to get permission to store fuel in above ground tanks, water table is very high.

But this doesn't have anything to do with reaching normal engine operating temperature, One thing that comes to mind, every electronic tech had a can of liquid refrigerant on their bench, illegal now, but spraying a component with refrigerant would contract a connection so it would make contact where it would not at higher temperatures.

So when your engine is hot, are you getting a spark, are your injectors working? Is your fuel pump working? These are tests that can be done.

#14 ·
Just a point of information:

Prior to the introduction of Ethanol into automotive gasoline, many years ago now, it was customary in the winter for people to buy a product called HEET and pour it into the gas tank. The idea was that the alcohol in HEET would mix with any water in the fuel system and carry it on through the engine, not allowing it to collect and freeze in the fuel lines or other low spots.

Actually HEET was not ethanol, but methanol. And, not as good a water absorber as ethanol.
So when "Gasahol" came out, with 10% Ethanol, water in our fuel systems became a thing of the past. That also worked well for the gasoline storage tanks, whether in the ground or above ground.

Now the topic here, is that when an engine gets hot, it quits working.
My question would be, "is the engine actually exceeding its normal operating temperature?"
Or, is something else shutting down the engine when it is still operating within normal parameters?

As an electro-mechanical troubleshooter of long standing, I'd love to tackle this problem, up close and personal.

If the coolant is still the original fluid installed at the Kia factory, I'd certainly give the cooling system a thorough Flush & Fill, with an antifreeze mix capable of protecting the engine at temperatures found in the area where the car is being operated.*
* Here in FL, the standard 50/50 pre-mix is more than sufficient.

Does the heater put out HOT air when set to maximum? If the water pump was not working, it could not force HOT coolant through the heater.

That would truly be an interesting case to troubleshoot. Wish I were there!

Good Luck!

FL Hamster :cool:

#15 · (Edited)
Nick D and Fl Hamster: I FIXED It !!! I had to go to my PO Box in Tecate, CA .... to pick up my CKPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) .... to do this I removed the thermostat and kept the defroster on high heat and high fan .... I noticed that the anti freeze needed changing, though that was not the problem .... my friend Rod and I took 6 gallon jugs of water to cool the engine from normal operating temp to low temp .... we refilled the jugs at every Pemex gas station and creek we passed .... the car shut down about 12 times on the 225 mile round trip .... had to always be prepared to pull over or push the car to the side of the road .... the outside temp went from 68 at noon up to 79 then back to 54 at 9 pm .... the last 50 miles no engine stall for the cool air .... anyway, in the morning we installed the new CKPS .... that was it .... later replaced the old thermostat and put in new antifreeze !!!! Runs like a striped assed ape .... me happy ! Monedas

#16 ·
Reflections: Ever since my Kia Soul base was new .... it ran great .... but, had a glitch .... every once in a while .... without warning .... it would stall as you let the clutch out in first gear .... I've been driving sticks all my life .... I can drive a stick shift up and down the streets of San Francisco without using the hand brake .... I even inquired if there was an adjustment to the idle speed or accelerator pump enrichment or it's equivalent in an injection motor .... no dice .... I just lived with it .... it happened to all who drove my car .... all accomplished drivers .... so, I suspect my CKPS had a minute flaw or crack from the beginning .... which later became a problemon grande .... thank God the problem didn't get serious until I hit the 115,000 mile mark .... and that the problem was so directly related to engine temperature .... and didn't fail completely ! This was a close encounter ? Monedas

#17 ·
That's great news Monedas!

I love when these mysteries are actually solved. It's amazing how often the culprit is one of those dang sensors.

I'm glad you replaced the old thermostat (and coolant). That can play a huge role in operating engine temp & man, you were way past due on that.

Congratulations & let's get another 115,000 miles on your Soul.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.