Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, really hoping I can get a little guidance because it feels like I'm driving a ticking time bomb right now. I purchased this car in January of 2020 and it has been nothing but issues for me ever since.

This issue has occurred three times over the course of the last year, where I will be driving, then all of a sudden the engine cuts out, and I come to a halt in the middle of the road. When turning the car off then restarting the ignition immediately after the failure the engine usually will not start, but I have been fortunate enough to have it start after several attempts each time so I can limp to the side of the road and out of danger.

It is important to note here that my check engine light has not turned on after any of these incidents, however I have used my code reader after each incident and received the same code each time: P0087, low fuel rail pressure.

Details of each failure and actions which I have attempted to take:

• After the first incident (June 2020) I had the vehicle towed to the nearest shop - I was on a road trip at the time and they were the only shop around who worked on Kias. They assured me that the issue was a failing high pressure fuel pump. They got my extended warranty company to cover the cost for a new one, then I drove home happy, thinking the issue was resolved.

• The second failure happened last August. Same exact issue. Once again no check engine light, but the same P0087 OBD code. I had the car towed to my local Kia dealership this time, and after diagnosis they blamed it on carbon buildup, and also informed me that they had performed the SC176 ECU Upgrade. They also recommended a GDI injection service, which sounded like BS to me, but I went through with it anyway. My reasoning was that the ECU logic upgrade would likely deal with the issue, and I was pissed at myself for unknowingly driving around a car that had an active recall on it, so how big of a deal was a couple hundred to get rid of carbon buildup?

• I thought the issue was resolved as a result of the ECU logic upgrade until failure number three, which happened a few weeks ago. I was able to limp into a parking lot and a guy who happened to be a mechanic pulled over to try and help. He used his code reader, which was nicer than mine, and received the P0087 code. No check engine light. Before I could object he cleared the code, because he wanted to see if the code would be thrown again after starting the engine (I don't really understand this reasoning, but whatever). Anyway, he couldn't find anything wrong. At this point I was convinced that the actual issue had never been addressed, and that after sitting around for an hour or so I would be able to start the car up like normal and simply drive home, which I did without any issue. I took the car to the Kia dealership again, but this time they wouldn't even attempt to find the issue, since there were no active codes - great. But the guy at the dealership mentioned that it almost seemed like a damaged catalytic converter, and that the incidents may have been occurring due to an increase in exhaust pressure, causing the engine to then cut out. I called a local muffler shop and the guy on the phone pretty much shut me down immediately once I told him of the P0087 fault code, and said I would have to get it diagnosed at a shop.

So that's where I'm at. The only similarities I can see between all three incidents were that they all occurred on a hotter than average day while I was accelerating up an incline. I have no real way to replicate this issue to aid in diagnosis. Additionally I'm now out of work and living on savings, so I would really like to avoid any unnecessary repairs or diagnostics that wouldn't actually address the issue.

Has anybody else experienced this issue, or heard of somebody who has had this issue? This is frustrating and concerning for me because I have been in some pretty dangerous situations, stalled in the middle of the highway on two occasions now, and it seems like this issue could occur again at any given time.

·
Registered
878 Posts
The SC176 update does zero to correct any issues, it is simply a fuel and warm up strategy to preserve the catalytic converter. Your symptoms have nothing to do with a catalytic converter issue and do not sound like it and neither does code p0087 so I can't imagine that any mechanic would even suggest that, it must have been a service writer or something.
There are tests that need to be run on your car, as it cuts out only every few months it is unlikely they can duplicate it but running data while driving could see a parameter that is not failed but failing that can point in the right direction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts