Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. New to the forum and i am talking about the wifes car. While driving yesterday I noticed that her car had a decent amount of engine shake while in gear. She drives the car like a grandma so i figured i would run it a little harder to blow some carbon out of it. Next stop light i put the car in 1st in auto stick mode and gave it 3/4 throttle from a launch...at 3000 rpm the engine felt like it hit rev limit and a massive cloud of smoke out the back....i mean massive cloud. No engine lights came on. Took the car to the dealership right after. Anyone else have this happen to them?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
this has been reported before, was it white smoke? It happened to me once when I floored it from a dead-stop, figure its just cleaning out the system which as you say its reason for whole exercise. Its been okay since (this was about a year ago), I think it needs some high revs once in a while, 5000 +. I generally don't drive it hard, but try to put it in manual mode occasionally and get the revs up.

As long as it doesn't show up on low revs and happening all the time and like you say no lights on the cluster, I can't see it being a problem. Everyone needs the cobwebs cleared out occasionally :sneakiness:

check out this thread (search is your friend)
http://www.kiasoulforums.com/10-soul-problems/19906-lots-smoke.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed... something was cleared out...but i have never seen anything that bad...looked like a car running on Seafoam. So about a month ago, we had a service engine light on...kia said that they needed to do a fuel system treatment because the code was a lean cylinder bank. Having done all that...and seeing all that smoke...i question if this motor has something seriously wrong with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it was just smoke and no engine cut out...i wouldnt be as concerned...but as i said...the engine was cutting out at 3k. That tells me something is wrong. But why no code? Ive read the posts about others having this problem but no mention of engine cutting out.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Put some techron in the tank and take it out and drive it hard(above 3K rpm) for an hour or so. It may help clear out the injectors (and cylinders/valves) and stop the stumbling. It all sounds normal and if it doesn't overheat I don't think you have a problem. The wife just drives it too slow.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I think he experienced what many/most of us have.
Too much grocery gettin and not enought getiin to the gettin!
Hit the go pedal hard and watch as the asoul martin leaves a bondesque smoke screen behind it.
What's next I ask myself?
Tire slicing spinners, ejector seats, pussy galore?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I do baby mine and it's at about 5000 miles now. I floored it the other day redlining it from 2nd to 4th heading to 5th gear probably hitting 70+ by then and zero smoke. I plan to do that atleast every 5K.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I see you have the 1.6L engine...... me too!

It takes much less than 5k miles for that little engine to get carboned up if you don't drive it like it was designed to be driven.
It's the smallest engine that Kia makes for the Soul, so thus it also has to be the most High Performance.
There is a Rev-Limiter built into the ECC so you cannot over-rev the engine. It's physically impossible.
So to keep it from getting carboned up, DO let it hit the Rev-Limiter every few days.

I did a lot of racing in both cars and motorcycles as a young man and the Need For Speed has stuck with me.
I'm still a very aggressive driver, even at 71 years old. I find that Gertrude (my Kia Soul) always runs better after a ROMP
on the Interstate.

On the second day after I drove Gertrude home from the Dealership, I had to make a run into town, 20 miles away.
Coming home I ran Gertrude up to 110 mph, on I-75, just to set the pace and get her used to running hard and fast. She's been
a real Road Runner ever since. Beep! Beep!
Gertrude always runs smooth as silk, burns NO oil and makes NO Smoke.

With each 3K oil change, I add a bottle of "Techron" fuel system cleaner to the gas tank. That keeps the Fuel Injectors clean.
And I also add about 8oz of Prolong anti-friction additive to the crankcase. That greatly reduces friction in the engine and promotes
longer life, cooler running and improved performance.

With such a small engine powering a car the size of the Soul, it needs all the help and TLC that we can give it.
Driving it SLOW is probably the worse thing we could do to that engine.

Happy Holidays Mates!

TechnoMage :cool:

Reactions: SoulCollector
1 - 11 of 11 Posts