Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Got my car back today! Thought it would take longer so, on the one hand, I'm very pleased and on the other, I'm worried it might happen again. Since I own two Kia's with GDI engines I have now purchased a third vehicle as a backup (2006 Toyota Camry with a non-GDI engine that runs like a swiss watch).
Thumbs-up

·
Registered
7 Posts
That fine was for the Theta II 2.4s and the 2.0 turbos. It is not the Soul engines. The Theta II engines have had their factory warranty extended to 10 years and unlimited miles, literally our paperwork says they're covered to 999,999 miles as that is the most they could enter. I have replaced them with over 200k on them under warranty. Kia owned up to it and stands behind it unlike most manufacturers.
The Soul engines are affected too. My local dealer told me they had already replaced several 2.0 engines and he had 10 more in line to get new engines. These were never designed to use synthetic oils or blends. It’s very important to use the correct oil and viscosity. When you do something like change to synthetic or a heavier oil like 5W30 setting the detonator for the engine to blow later. The problem in going to a heavier oil is it flow properly in all of the little places it needs to go. To see what I’m saying get a small funnel with an opening about the size of a pencil. Time how fast you can pour a full bottle of 5W20 then a full bottle of 5W30. May not look like much but some of the places it needs to flow in the engine are really tiny not like the funnel. That causes it to dam near plug up and stop flowing and once that happens you get internal damage from lack of oil. I was a reciprocating engine mechanic in the navy and if you ever got caught putting the wrong oil in an aircraft engine you would pay dearly for it. Engineers choose the oil based on lots of things like the tight tolerances in engines but there are some backyard mechanics that always think they know more. Do what your local dealer tells you and nothing else so you can go a couple hundred miles or more without trouble.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thumbs-up
Take off the pvc hose and replace it with a hose with a small filter on the end. Find a place to run the hose down with the filter on the end or it. Make sure you block the place where the original hose connected to the intake. Start the car and run it at 2000 rpm while you empty 2 cans of something like sea foam. Spray it in as fast as you can without killing the engine. As soon as you finish the second can turn the car off. let it sit and soak for at least 30 minutes then get in it and drive somewhere. Keep driving until it runs smoothly and you’re done. I forgot to say you can leave it soaking for longer than 30 minutes that’s the minimum you want to let it soak. Leaving it longer lets it clean more and doesn’t hurt anything. I let mine soak for about 3 hours and when I started it I couldn’t believe how much crap came out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Surely you realize oil thins out as it warms up in an engine? Anyway, 27K miles with 10-30 and zero issues so far, as well as zero oil usage between changes. And.....it's driven hard. (2019 1.6 TDI)

I'm going with oil dilution as a player in these problems. Another thing that confuses me is the black soot in the tail pipe. Do you non direct injection owners notice this as well?
I thought the thing with computerized fuel injection was the computer monitors A/F ratio and adjusts it quite precisely? If so then why is the tail pipe very sooty and black which indicates an overly rich condition?? Besides that, the oil when drained smells strongly of Gasoline. And is noticeably thin ( I only use 10-30 oil and will never use anything thinner).
Dilution issues indicate that timely maintenence (probably well before suggested intervals) is vital to good engine life.

The problem in going to a heavier oil is it flow properly in all of the little places it needs to go. To see what I’m saying get a small funnel with an opening about the size of a pencil. Time how fast you can pour a full bottle of 5W20 then a full bottle of 5W30. May not look like much but some of the places it needs to flow in the engine are really tiny not like the funnel. That causes it to dam near plug up and stop flowing and once that happens you get internal damage from lack of oil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Soul engines are affected too. My local dealer told me they had already replaced several 2.0 engines and he had 10 more in line to get new engines. These were never designed to use synthetic oils or blends. It’s very important to use the correct oil and viscosity. When you do something like change to synthetic or a heavier oil like 5W30 setting the detonator for the engine to blow later. The problem in going to a heavier oil is it flow properly in all of the little places it needs to go. To see what I’m saying get a small funnel with an opening about the size of a pencil. Time how fast you can pour a full bottle of 5W20 then a full bottle of 5W30. May not look like much but some of the places it needs to flow in the engine are really tiny not like the funnel. That causes it to dam near plug up and stop flowing and once that happens you get internal damage from lack of oil. I was a reciprocating engine mechanic in the navy and if you ever got caught putting the wrong oil in an aircraft engine you would pay dearly for it. Engineers choose the oil based on lots of things like the tight tolerances in engines but there are some backyard mechanics that always think they know more. Do what your local dealer tells you and nothing else so you can go a couple hundred miles or more without trouble.
You don’t know what you’re talking about. This is taken directly from the Kia Soul owners manual. (And turbo Souls can go even heavier)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thats not the most recent manual. They even allow 20-50 in the latest edition. So, yea, automotive engineers are never wrong.......said no one ever. And which makes me wonder why so many owners seem to be stuck on the 'water-weight' oils.

You don’t know what you’re talking about. This is taken directly from the Kia Soul owners manual. (And turbo Souls can go even heavier)
View attachment 137180

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yep! Just wonder how certain oil viscosity will actually prolong the inevitable demise of the defective Soul GDI engine?
Maybe, a little less carbon buildup.:unsure:

21 - 27 of 27 Posts