Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby threw a rod. I noticed the oil was low so I added oil. Went to work and on the way the engine started knocking. My Kia dealer has it and today thank God they said they will replace the engine. I wasn't sure if they would because I hadn't changed the oil in a while (about 7,000 miles). I also don't have good records of all my oil changes, but I did have some receipts in the glove box. From now on I will use the Carfax app and record everything and make sure maintenance intervals are followed to a tee. I thought I was going to lose my car.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,658 Posts
Is that a 1.6 or 2.0? Does one or the other trend higher on these failures?

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Dang that sucks! But thankfully it sounds like Kia is supporting you. 👍

·
Registered
994 Posts
Good to hear they're covering it jonbourg (as they should given that oil is almost never the problem - as long as it's changed more than once :coffee:).

Greg

·
Registered
284 Posts
My baby threw a rod. I noticed the oil was low so I added oil. Went to work and on the way the engine started knocking. My Kia dealer has it and today thank God they said they will replace the engine. I wasn't sure if they would because I hadn't changed the oil in a while (about 7,000 miles). I also don't have good records of all my oil changes, but I did have some receipts in the glove box. From now on I will use the Carfax app and record everything and make sure maintenance intervals are followed to a tee. I thought I was going to lose my car.
In this current 7k time-span, when did you notice it started to use oil? Was it 2k ago when you checked it last? If so, did the dipstick still read full? Or was the low oil mark reading more sudden?

How many miles are on the unit? Is it 2.0 or 1.6? When the new block gets installed and it's time for it's first oil change, change it earlier (like 4k OCIs) - don't let the dipstick-mark get a quart low and use 5w30 synthetic oil.

·
Registered
993 Posts
It threw a rod because it was low on oil and run that way. It was obviously using oil to be low unless there is a leak he hasn't mentioned. Going 7k between oil changes is too long unless you use a top grade synthetic and cruise down the highway. Oil breaks down and then your engine will burn it up. Follow your manual where it tells you that you can go 7500 in super light duty use but not under the conditions most of us drive. I see this regularly on cars with poor oil change intervals. I work at a dealer and we have the people that come in on time for their maintenance and usually have no engine issues, but you guys might be surprised at the fact that about half the cars that come in are anywhere from 3 to 6k miles past their 5k sticker. Kia still warranties these engines, even with some sludge buildup, no other manufacturer I have ever worked with did anywhere near as much for their customers under warranty.
These pictures are what happens. Rod in the oil pan, hole in the block.

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
We sure agree that a vast majority of failures on these Kia and Hyundai boards, are from folks that only do very sporadic maintenance and use the watery (virgin [email protected]) 5w20 conventional or blend oils for the entire duration. Add some fuel dilution and 5k in miles, that cst drops down to the low 7s most of the time.

You can easily tell watery oils when you check the dipstick level and the oil easily drips off.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It's stamped 5W-20 on the oil cap:unsure: So, we got it in writing:censored:
I switched to 5W-30 full synthetic. Now, i can sleep.:sleep:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's the 2.0 and it has 58k on the odometer. I have been changing the oil at 5k, but I went over this time. Kia told me my engine was clean from sludge so they knew I hadn't neglected it. I use full synthetic 5w-20, but will switch to 5w-30 now. I'm going to use the severe intervals from now on. I saw someone's discussion and they said the rod bearings are small in these engines. I'm also looking into using an oil catch can.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You can easily tell watery oils when you check the dipstick level and the oil easily drips off.

What about ambient air temperature affecting the Drips? We all know Drips are problematic! o_O

·
Registered
2018 Kia Soul Plus
17 Posts
I read something about
I just saw on Google news about a large fee that Hyundai and Kia have to pay for to the slow recall on engines with that problem, mainly around 2011 according to the article. It's because when the engine was machined, it wasn't cleaned out properly and the bits left in there cause the oil galley to the rod bearings to get stopped up. Hyundai had the larger of the fees and what they had to do to make things right, including engine replacement. Kia had the less of the fines. I believe the article mentioned something like 1 million vehicles combined. Good thing you were able to get yours taken care of.

·
Registered
993 Posts
That fine was for the Theta II 2.4s and the 2.0 turbos. It is not the Soul engines. The Theta II engines have had their factory warranty extended to 10 years and unlimited miles, literally our paperwork says they're covered to 999,999 miles as that is the most they could enter. I have replaced them with over 200k on them under warranty. Kia owned up to it and stands behind it unlike most manufacturers.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Soul Plus
17 Posts
That fine was for the Theta II 2.4s and the 2.0 turbos. It is not the Soul engines. The Theta II engines have had their factory warranty extended to 10 years and unlimited miles, literally our paperwork says they're covered to 999,999 miles as that is the most they could enter. I have replaced them with over 200k on them under warranty. Kia owned up to it and stands behind it unlike most manufacturers.
That's good to know. Thanks for the clarification

·
Registered
33 Posts
Since you're right in the thick of these cars and engines, what do you think about using 10-30 synthetic? '19 1.6 turbo, not driven in winter or temps below 40F.

It threw a rod because it was low on oil and run that way. It was obviously using oil to be low unless there is a leak he hasn't mentioned. Going 7k between oil changes is too long unless you use a top grade synthetic and cruise down the highway. Oil breaks down and then your engine will burn it up. Follow your manual where it tells you that you can go 7500 in super light duty use but not under the conditions most of us drive. I see this regularly on cars with poor oil change intervals. I work at a dealer and we have the people that come in on time for their maintenance and usually have no engine issues, but you guys might be surprised at the fact that about half the cars that come in are anywhere from 3 to 6k miles past their 5k sticker. Kia still warranties these engines, even with some sludge buildup, no other manufacturer I have ever worked with did anywhere near as much for their customers under warranty.
These pictures are what happens. Rod in the oil pan, hole in the block.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Since you're right in the thick of these cars and engines, what do you think about using 10-30 synthetic? '19 1.6 turbo, not driven in winter or temps below 40F.
So I don't want to go against factory recommendation of 5w30 on the 1.6 turbo but I personally would run it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Owners manual shows 10-30 acceptable from (something like) 0F to 100F I believe, (or in close range). Do you think the thin oil (5-20) may be too thin for these engines? Good to see your observations that most of these engine problems is from lack of timely maintenance.

So I don't want to go against factory recommendation of 5w30 on the 1.6 turbo but I personally would run it.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I am not an engineer or physicist but I have been told by many that running a little thicker is ok but never thinner. The thin oils are designed to get the manufacturer another tenth or two tenths of a mile per gallon (I don't actually know the number but I am sure it is insignificant)

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 2015 Kia Soul threw a rod a month ago (30 days AFTER I took my car to Kia for a recall correction that was 100% related

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
1 - 20 of 27 Posts