Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Kia Soul+

First happened two weeks ago while stopped in a parking lot. Foot on brake, car in drive, engine revved so hard that the car lurched forward only being stopped by my foot being jammed hard on the brake.

Happened again later in the week while stopped at an intersection. Not as intense a rev this time but enough to be unmistakable, so I thought perhaps putting the car in park might help, instead the moment the car went into park the engine revved WILDLY as if I'd slammed my foot on the gas! Throwing it back into drive with my foot hard on the brake stopped it.

Has happened now a couple more times but not with as scary an intensity. Once while at a stop sign, another at a red light again.

Questions:

1) Anyone else experienced this?

2) Anyone know what the likely cause is?

3) Is this going to be covered by my 5 Year / 60k mile warranty?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
not experience that problem on my 2016.

Why would you not think it's not covered under warranty?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,543 Posts
not experience that problem on my 2016.

Why would you not think it's not covered under warranty?
I agree, why would you not think it's covered by warranty?

I'm puzzled if this "happened two weeks ago" and you didn't go straight to the dealer. You have a responsibility for your own safety, and this as described, is totally unsafe.

Call the dealer NOW. They may even have it towed. You're lucky you haven't had an accident IMHO.

·
Registered
121 Posts
don't have this engine/model, but wondering: this kind of throttle behaviour is caused by ... what?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
784 Posts
Trying to not slam on the OP, however why would anyone not take the car back to the dealership and have it looked at. This is a dangerous situation and will not get better. You didn't say how many miles are on the car. I assume under 60K as you asked if it would be under the 5yr/60K warranty. If you have the warranty-use it! If not still under warranty, you still need to get it repaired before you hurt yourself or someone else.

Reactions: Lrobby99

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
I hope we hear back from the OP.

Out of the blue, extreme acceleration, very bad. It makes me think of a possible runaway high pressure fuel pump, fuel rail or software glitch. Who knows.

I wouldn't wait around to see if it happens again.

Reactions: Lrobby99

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Why might it not be covered by warranty? Because there are a ton of issues are not included in the Basic and Power Train warranty coverage. Not being familiar with the various things that can contribute to this, I was hoping for informed insights from those who might.

As for getting it right to the dealer, the nearest reputable dealership with a service center is an hour away, only takes appointments a week out, and the shop is only open on days I can't afford to take off from work, so that's easier said than done. Have an appointment next Tuesday.

It is absolutely not the floor mats or clown shoes.

Don't see any related recalls, thank you for the suggestion Shaggy.

In addition to the throttle sensor that Boomer79 mentioned (thanks!) some time on Google shows this is a common but dreaded issue because it is infamously hard to diagnose due to being intermittent. Just a few of the known possible culprits:

Oxygen sensor problems
Fuel pump control circuit
Injectors
Transmission lock up issue
Malfunctioning MAF sensor
Crankshaft position sensor
Brake master cylinder leaking brake fluid into your power brake booster
Vacuum Leak

Thank you to those who offered helpful responses.

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
Why might it not be covered by warranty? Because there are a ton of issues are not included in the Basic and Power Train warranty coverage. Not being familiar with the various things that can contribute to this, I was hoping for informed insights from those who might.
NuMystic, your 5 year bumper to bumper warranty absolutely will cover an out of control throttle issue. Even your 10 year Powertrain may cover it because it's related to the engine running.

This is unsafe and Kia will repair it. I honestly would not bother Googling or trying to figure this out on your own. It's warranted.

When you said "there are a ton of issue not covered," you may be confusing this with "wear and tear" things related to batteries, tires, wipers etc. This is not that.

Sorry you are irritated by some of the responses. This is a helpful, but social, forum. You'd be surprised some of the answers that seem silly or joking, that turn out to be quite helpful.

Best of luck tuesday with your appointment and please let us know how things work out. We can all learn from your experience.

Reactions: SportsterDoc

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not the least bit irritated. :joyous:

Googling was very helpful because it made it clear that I may very well have to pay $150 out of pocket for the service visit if they're not able to identify the problem, which is very often the case with mysterious revving in the absence of a check engine light.

Clearly the car needs to be serviced. I wasn't trying to "figure it out on my own", just hoping to gain insight as to what might happening, any precautions I should be taking, and have an idea of what I'm in for when I get to the shop. Taking a few minutes to search online provided exactly that.

Will follow up after the visit to the service center.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
None yet. As online reports predicted there was no code in the system indicating what might have caused it, and nothing the service center could identify in their manual/visual checks. Hasn't happened since posting. Will update if it happens again and I manage to find out the cause.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Not the least bit irritated. :joyous:

Googling was very helpful because it made it clear that I may very well have to pay $150 out of pocket for the service visit if they're not able to identify the problem, which is very often the case with mysterious revving in the absence of a check engine light.

Clearly the car needs to be serviced. I wasn't trying to "figure it out on my own", just hoping to gain insight as to what might happening, any precautions I should be taking, and have an idea of what I'm in for when I get to the shop. Taking a few minutes to search online provided exactly that.
Good point and exactly what I would do if I had an issue. Like to know as much as possible in case Svc tech isn't as helpful as I would like.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts