Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
To all you DIY'ers a word of advice, keep a record of your changes. Date, mileage, how much, receipts for oil and filter. May come in handy providing to Kia when the engine messes the bed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I always do my own oil changes. Drain until there is barely any dripping, remove old oil filter, put in a new one, pre-filled with some oil. Till in the exact total required amount, by the book. Use the gradations from the 5Gal oil jug - that is 4.23 Qt (4Liters).
Measure after that the oil level on that cold engine - it's usually a bit high, but the book says to do it on warm engine. Oh, well, I never double-check, since this is wife's car and I don't actually drive it.
Cold level:
View attachment 138036

Today my "honey-do" list was to fill the Soul with gas.
Anyway, after I came back from the trip (long enough to warm up the engine to normal), I remembered the oil level, and after I let it sit for 5 minutes, went out again and took a look at the level.
Warm engine, after 5 minutes, level is still as high as cold. Picture is kind of crappy, the level is where I drew the red line.
View attachment 138037

So... anyone else experienced this?
If you're prefilling the filter and then adding the book oil volume, you'll end up about 12 ounces over full...the book amount is calculated on an empty filter...

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you're prefilling the filter and then adding the book oil volume, you'll end up about 12 ounces over full...the book amount is calculated on an empty filter...
If you have a 4-quart container, and you pour like 12 ounces in the filter. The remaining amount goes into the crankcase. You run the engine measure and top it off.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,988 Posts
To all you DIY'ers a word of advice, keep a record of your changes. Date, mileage, how much, receipts for oil and filter. May come in handy providing to Kia when the engine messes the bed.
Good advice. I also snap a picture of the odometer, oil container(s) & filter. Paste them in a Word.doc and print a copy for the maintenance log. Sometimes a store receipt will just say "oil filter" or "5 qt oil" but not give the critical info they might want at warranty claims.

I sure hope to never need to use any of it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
For all you guys worrying about ENGINE oil. Its important to use the oil the manufacturer recommends. Changing the filter and letting the eng stop dripping should always be done but adding engine oil til it runs clear is a waste.
Just make sure you change iut at regular intervals (5000 miles). AS for oil level when hot and cold, refers to trans fluid as it expands and contracts. Eng oil doesn't expand noticeably. Just check when eng is cold that ensure all the oil drained from the head.

John ASE Mechanic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've encountered oil change quandaries with my 2016 1.6. The oil pan slopes forward which means when using ramps I may not be able to drain all of the old oil. The dip stick can give a different reading depending if read from the front or back or if inserted backwards. Very puzzling. Fresh oil is so clear it's really hard to see on the stick.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've encountered oil change quandaries with my 2016 1.6. The oil pan slopes forward which means when using ramps I may not be able to drain all of the old oil. The dip stick can give a different reading depending if read from the front or back or if inserted backwards. Very puzzling. Fresh oil is so clear it's really hard to see on the stick.
Enjoy the clean look of your oil, give it time oil will be much dirtier. As far as checking the oil, car manufacturers always stated to check it on a level surface. I've always put in 1/4 of a quart less, run the engine then top it off.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts