Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did look in the forum and actual typed in search area oil level didn't get the answer i wanted..

according to the manual i suppose to let engine reach normal running temperature,turn off motor let sit for 5 minutes before checking oil level...

so i park my soul on level ground turned off motor and it was reading at the normal engine running temperature waited 5 minutes and checked it.. the reading was maybe a little less than a 1/4 inch from full mark..
i waited another 5 minutes checked it again and the reading was 1/8 in. from full mark and yes i did actually measure it...... got back in car started up and the engine temperature level reading was at half way mark from normal running temperature to cold.. so i parked it at work let it sit for several hours and checked level and it was just barely under the full mark... not really sure what is the true reading??

base model,2014 4,700 miles in 4 1/4 months ... normal driving conditons .

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,163 Posts
.........also as the manual states "The level should be between F and L" so as long as its in this range then its okay, nothing to worry about (and if they are giving you that type of latitude then its no big deal and they probably expect it to vary). I've never checked oil that frequently to worry about slight variations, as long as its between F & L its good enough for me. I can see it not being exactly the same each time, lot a movement of oil around that engine. I think your over analyzing it :sneakiness:

Also as it states in the manual "if it is near or at L, add enough oil to bring the level to F. Do not overfill." So based on your comments you certainly don't need any more oil, everything is fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok.. I figured as much.. Found it odd that u let motor warm up than sit then check...
My gmc which was a 2001 i always checked it stone cold.....

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
As was said....." I think you're over analyzing it
" (spelling corrected)

By the time your engine gets cold, most all the oil has drained back down into the oil pan and will show up on the Dipstick.

I only check my oil level during an Oil Change, to make sure I've got it FULL, and that's with the engine cold.

My car uses NO Oil, so checking it even once a week is totally Redundant.

You're better off than me, if your oil level is the only thing you have to worry about.

At 71, my oil level is the very last thing on my worry list. :))

Happy Motoring Mate!

:cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts