Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
you do not need fuel cleaners in todays cars they run way to efficient these days to do this i am a hyundai tech and have had alot of these cars apart and all look clean as if they where new the only time i would recommend a fuel cleaning is if it had an egr

Not sure I have a problem here but wanted to throw it out there. I was looking around under the hood with the car running and I found the upper end of the engine to be noisy. I am usually deal with older GM V8s so I might be out of the loop here but if my Soul had a 350 in it I would be popping the valve covers to take a look and re-set the lash. It sounds like an industrial sewing machine right around 1890. Sadly I don't know another local Soul owner to compare with or some one that has a car with the beta II engine in it. Makes me nervous with the light weight oil and all that noise.
Thoughts?

So what did you find out. I had service done at the dealership 2x's after 5000 miles so I am due again the oil was down a full quart after 12000 miles it looks burned on dip stick I added a pint of Lucas oil treatment and the ticking stopped now it is starting again after 1500 miles. I doubt they changed the filter and o the 2nd time...wow

So what did you find out. I had service done at the dealership 2x's after 5000 miles so I am due again the oil was down a full quart after 12000 miles it looks burned on dip stick I added a pint of Lucas oil treatment and the ticking stopped now it is starting again after 1500 miles. I doubt they changed the filter and o the 2nd time...wow

Deeper Shade of Soul
Premium Member
Premium Member
Joined Jul 17, 2009
Last seen Oct 17, 2011

Reactions: Kerig3
At my 5000 mile oil change I was told it was "normal" to be 1 1/2 quarts low. I have a 2003 that has243000 miles on it and never is low on oil.
I park in the garage and there is no leaks after 14000 miles...I need to change the oil every 3000 miles, I guess. The viscosity breaks down very fast...keep commenting on your situation...they dont make 'em like they used to?

At my 5000 mile oil change I was told it was "normal" to be 1 1/2 quarts low. I have a 2003 that has243000 miles on it and never is low on oil.
I park in the garage and there is no leaks after 14000 miles...I need to change the oil every 3000 miles, I guess. The viscosity breaks down very fast...keep commenting on your situation...they dont make 'em like they used to?
You let the dipstick level fall to 1-1/2 quarts low.
Never let these Korean four cylinders fall more than a half-quart low.
Now the consumption damage is done sooner rather than later.
I've been changing our oils every 3k all-along. No consumption yet.

Most here that report significant consumption issues either waits too long to change the oil - uses thin 5w20... and/or never checks the dipstick level, thus letting the level run too low.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.