Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right, just reading thro a few posts on here and people are asking about exhausts, and air intakes and turbos and stuff.

well i have been looking and think its possible to fit a mitsubishi evo engine in the vast engine bay. use all the evo parts but will need brakes up graded.

then u can have a crazy soul.

but u might want to get better tyres for the speed rating and sort the handlng out.

anyone else looked into engine transplants?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
right, just reading thro a few posts on here and people are asking about exhausts, and air intakes and turbos and stuff.

well i have been looking and think its possible to fit a mitsubishi evo engine in the vast engine bay. use all the evo parts but will need brakes up graded.

but u might want to get better tyres for the speed rating and sort the handlng out.

WHY???...buy a new car and swap out the engine??? It makes no sense...you'd be better to find one at the scrap yard and build from there..Also if you were looking for Mitsubishi performance then you should buy one...

·
Registered
728 Posts

Then replace the transmission, drive axels, suspension, and entire exhaust system to handle the new loads... but you can smoke the clutch until it finally dies then replace that also :rolleyes:

Let me think... $5000 for the evo engine + $2000 in parts.
lol, no thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
also the brakes have little to do with the massive undertaking putting evo stuff in a kia would take. if one wants to add performance to this platform i say start small, if one did put evo stuff in here that would also require replacing almost all the electronics in the car.
someone needs to try a small turbo setup and see how that works first then we evolve towards the bigger stuff.

·
Registered
728 Posts
if Soul's 2.0L engine is infact the "Hyundai Beta ii" then any mods for it should also apply to a certain degree.

I see intakes, both intake & exhaust manifolds, cams, adjustable cam gears, crank pullies, flywheels, throttle bodies, injectors, fuel pumps and yes even some small turbo kits are out there. The list of performance parts goes on and on and on for the Beta ii. It shows me that a really strong and reliable build can be done before ever thinking about an engine swap.

If you got the money and the down time I firmly believe that Soul could reliably produce a little over 200hp and still be naturally aspirated. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
If you got the money and the down time I firmly believe that Soul could reliably produce a little over 200hp and still be naturally aspirated. :cool:
That would be interesting. Sadly it would blow apart the reasons I bought the car but the child in me wants to PLAY!
In addition, if some one wanted to throw the time, energy and money in making an EVO Soul that could handle and run reliably, I say dude DO IT! If your close to NY can I help? If someone pulled into a cruse night with a stock looking KIA Soul with all EVO stuff under the skin you mean to tell me you would not be at the very least interested. I would lose my mind. That thinking, drive, and desire to be unique is exactly what created the Soul in the first place. It is what makes car shows, cruise nights and the industry interesting to so many enthusiasts. Folks you have to admit, few of you bought the Soul because of its economy alone. HELL you like the way it looks, its different, it stands out in a crowd and shows your unique side.
I don't want this to be construed as a criticism to those who responded to the original post but lets not jump on someone because of his unique vision.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you want to go big, with a turbo, i'm sure that a few sites will have some kits out soon. The beta I and II engines have many applications including the tuner-popular hyundai tiburon. I am pretty sure that you can order a turbo kit for like 5000 bucks, pay somebody to help with the install (its a bolt on install so its not too hard), and end up spending WAYYYY less money then to get all the **** custom made for your little soul to take an evo engine while still acheiving 250 - 300 hp. The amount of custom **** you would need probably includes driveshafts, motor mounts, some tranny parts, etc. etc.... wayyy more cost effective to turbo tune your NA. Also, if you want an engine swap, a 2.0T from a genesis might fit, but once again i'm sure you'll need some type of custom parts, and it would still be more cost effective to get a turbo kit for the BETA II.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I would be cool to see someone do the swap or blow out the 2.0L engine with a turbocharger or a supercharger, maybe even bore it and stroke it. There really is no practical sence to it, just fun.

I think I would be most impressed if some car junkie went and made Soul AWD with a driver controlled center differential along with full independent rear suspension. A lot of work but that would just blow me away.

·
Registered
55 Posts
mmm an awd would be wayyy too much time and money, would be cool tho... Kia should come up with one on their own. My concern would be with added weight to the car, you would deff. need more HP. This is probably where they could throw a 2.0T in and make the "sport" model a hell of alot sportier. I will wait until my warrenty is up (probably 3 years) and then we'll see about it. I would really like to get a turbo in mine, so i've been researching this whole tuning thing alot, i'm sure by then kdmstuff and sharkracing will have a soul-related turbo setup. I really wanna see some aftermarket bodykits come out of the woodwork too...

·
Registered
55 Posts
whats your arguement for it tho?... why would I choose a supercharger over a turbocharger? for the price of the supercharger kit you have posted, I can get a turbo or even an NA kit for that amount which would have a greater output. It also seems for a "kit", that the site has left out alot of required components for the install (fuel management, intercooler, etc.) usually people like to use a turbo for a smaller engine, and a supercharger for a bigger engine (tiburon owners tend to turbo the 1.6 and 2.0, and super the 2.7). LOL I guess I really want to know why you love the idea of a supercharger...

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
It's a alot cleaner install for one reason .... almost instant boost .... with a turbo , you are relying on exhaust , and the complexity of running exhaust pipes and intake pipes in an otherwise cramped compartment , did you look at the pic of the supercharged 2.0 ? very neat job , in MY opinion turbos in MOST aps (( DIESELS excluded )) is 1980's , Superchargers are now .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no matter what car is modified, the same thing applies, i had an r34 skyline that i spent over £10,000 on the engine. it was roughly 600bhp. if some one said y didnt u buy a 600bhp car well they are about £100,000 and it will look like everything else on the road, its about being different.

my mate is building a 500bhp toyota starlet. he spent £5000 on the car so far. but nothing on the road is anything like it. its about being unique.

im more than hapy with he performance of my diesel, its punchy and quick. as someone said, we all have a inner child that just wants to play.

·
Registered
728 Posts
tubochargers use waste ehaust gas to turn the compressor which generates the input boost.
Superchargers use engine hp (belts) to drive the compressor whish generates the input boost.

In general terms only, low hp stock engines are better turbocharged because you are not robbing from the engine to make the boost pressure. Higher hp stock engines are better supercharged because they can afford to sacrifice a little initial hp to make the boost.
Example if in the end both systems were roughly the same boosted hp and a stock 100hp engine were used. The well tuned turbocharged engine would have 100hp off the line and will need to wait for the turbo to spool before peek hp is achieved. The well tuned superchaged engine may only have 94hp off the line because it is always being forced to spin the supercharger and is being robbed of some useable power at the lowest rpm.

(I know someone will try to prove me wrong, but these facts are what I've come to accept) :rolleyes:

As far as I know the fastest land speed record is still held by a Pontiac GTA that has twin turbochargers.

·
Registered
383 Posts
tubochargers use waste ehaust gas to turn the compressor which generates the input boost.
Superchargers use engine hp (belts) to drive the compressor whish generates the input boost.
Turbos provide a PSI of air for the engine which increases with the RPM
Supercharchers provide a stable PSI all along the RPM.

·
Registered
16 Posts
if you want a reasonable engine swap in a car like this get a SR20DETT its a 2.0L twin turbo inline 4 engine out of Nissan's 240sx line and certain Sentra SE-R's its light makes tons of power and is cheap, reliable, and easy to find.

keep in mind how much power these transmissions can take.

in all honesty if you want parts make em yourself or mod a existing part. find out the spacing on the exhaust ports and the size, do some reasearch and find a set of cheap turbo headers off ebay and install your own turbo kit. or bend and weld it up yourself.

the car is tiny and light so you really dont want to go anywhere above 300HP. personally if you could get around 250HP out of a stock engine reliable you are set. could get that using a Holset HX35 out of a ford diesel engine starting your baseline PSI testing at 5~6PSI and see how the engine runs.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
7,969 Posts
How to stop the front axle tramp when accelerating out of a corner
To get more responses you might want to start a new thread as this one is 10 years old.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts