Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've started having this same issue...2020 Kia Soul S. Just under 5k miles. I will be watching this discussion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do not own a Kia Soul but was seriously considering buying the 2020 Kia Soul. I stumbled across this forum and read about the auto start-stop problems. For those of you with this problem, I have a question for you. If you knew about this problem before you bought your 2020 Soul, would you still have bought it? I'm now tempted to wait until 2021 to see if they fix this problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do not own a Kia Soul but was seriously considering buying the 2020 Kia Soul. I stumbled across this forum and read about the auto start-stop problems. For those of you with this problem, I have a question for you. If you knew about this problem before you bought your 2020 Soul, would you still have bought it? I'm now tempted to wait until 2021 to see if they fix this problem.
I love my Kia Soul. The auto start can be disabled. And I believe they will eventually do a recall. Plus there isn't really any other affordable cars I was interested in....good gas mileage plenty of power and fun to drive. The safety features are growing on me. Collision avoidance works great. Plus if it completely fails it is under warranty. I'd still buy it. Though I do have a lower priced version. (S model).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love my Kia Soul. The auto start can be disabled. And I believe they will eventually do a recall. Plus there isn't really any other affordable cars I was interested in....good gas mileage plenty of power and fun to drive. The safety features are growing on me. Collision avoidance works great. Plus if it completely fails it is under warranty. I'd still buy it. Though I do have a lower priced version. (S model).

·
Registered
6 Posts
"I do not own a Kia Soul but was seriously considering buying the 2020 Kia Soul. I stumbled across this forum and read about the auto start-stop problems. For those of you with this problem, I have a question for you. If you knew about this problem before you bought your 2020 Soul, would you still have bought it? I'm now tempted to wait until 2021 to see if they fix this problem. "

We usually lease because of issues like this. My wife really liked the KIA Soul. To be honest, once I sat in it and drove it, I thought it was perfect for us.

I should have waited 1 year, to see if there were problems with the new changes.

KIA has had our Soul going on 6 weeks (they have provided a rental), with no fix in site.

The reason we don't just drive it with the Stop and Go feature disengaged, our dealership said it might still cause damage to the vehicle. In fact they won't release it to us.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do you live in an area where you don't have minutes-long traffic lights, in which case the ISG does not save much gas?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've started having this same issue...2020 Kia Soul S. Just under 5k miles. I will be watching this discussion.
We are trying to track the issues here (2nd tab for ISG failures): 2020 KIA Soul IVT & ISG Failure Tracking Log
Can you post your purchase date, symptoms you are experiencing, build date (drivers side door jam), if you have a diagnosis from the dealer, etc.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think you're going to get different answers from different owners; for me it hasn't happened yet and I'm honestly not sure what I would do if I knew there were a multitude of issues (like the IVT and ISG problems). Now that I own it, I can tell you that it is the perfect vehicle for me and that I love the car. I am worried about one or both of these issues failing on me, especially a possible IVT failure. Would I still buy it? Not 100% sure, and that is knowing that I really, really like it. I can't think of a better car for me for an everyday car, taking in consideration the cost of course - if I could I'd get an Alfa Romeo Stelvia or a Lamborghini Urus. And then I'd have to decide on my weekend ride, of course. :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well well, for the last three or four times I have driven it, I have not heard the "grinding" or "groaning" or "thud", whatever you want to call it, when re-starting out of idle-stop-and-go. I do worry that it will come back. Lately it has been much colder than normal here in Southern California (down to freezing one night along the coast!), and I wonder if this has anything to do with it. I will be keeping my fingers crossed when the weather warms up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I hate this feature with a passion.
It's downright dangerous. Stopping to make a left turn, and then having to immediately hit the gas, there is a very noticeable delay before the car starts moving. Once I realized that it made my turn a little close for comfort, I disabled it permanently. Don't need the car deciding not to accelerate when I need it to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Update: It is back to making the "grinding" noise. Dealer service advisor had told me there is nothing he can do about it, because KIA doesn't know how to fix it. I guess it is something I will have to live with. I could just turn it off, but where I live there are a lot of long red lights, so if there is no damage being done I do like to use it for better mileage. I got the KIA "issues" dept number (800-333-4542) and plan on calling them and at least letting them know of the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We are trying to track the issues here (2nd tab for ISG failures): 2020 KIA Soul IVT & ISG Failure Tracking Log
Can you post your purchase date, symptoms you are experiencing, build date (drivers side door jam), if you have a diagnosis from the dealer, etc.
I'd like to add to the log but I need to get access to edit it. I emailed my request for access but have gotten no response.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'd like to add to the log but I need to get access to edit it. I emailed my request for access but have gotten no response.
I was wondering who that was, sorry, I'm a little busy with my job. I'm adding the information myself right now, not allowing access to it to make sure no one deletes information already entered. If you can post the details here, I'll add it when I see it. The last thing I want is someone accidentally wipe info from the tracking sheet, or someone possibly doing so on purpose...don't want to think that way but you have to wonder when corporate is going to acknowledge these issues.

·
Registered
152 Posts
This started happening with my 2020 Soul at ~ 5000 miles. Kia dealership said they can't find any guidance or recognition of this problem from Kia. They cleaned the brakes and adjusted the calipers, or something like that. At any rate the grinding, or groaning (so I would call it if it were a living animal) when coming out of ISG still occurs, not always (about 50% of the time), and with varying degrees of loudness. Amazing with all I see here on this forum that Kia doesn't address the issue at all?
I didn't see your first post, I added the information you posted. Still would like to know purchase date, what date the first failure and model/trim.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Kia seems to think the ISG is a GREAT feature and they are not likely to delete it or allow a dealer to permanently turn it off. My own dealer was adamant about that.
But when they told me that, it was like waving a red flag in the face of a mean old Bull. Grrr!

You just don't do that to a retired Electro/Mechanical engineer. Sure the feature can be temporarily disabled by simply pressing the little button on the left dash panel. But as soon as you turn the car off, then back on, it reverts back to the ON condition.

So I solved the problem in the simplest way possible.... I pressed the button IN and then jammed it with a tiny little piece of card stock. I just try to remember to pull it out when I take my car into the dealer for service....like I'm going to do on Valentines day. :)

I regret that the Anti-Skid control won't work that way. That's something that Does have to be disabled every time I get in my car. My car (2020 Soul LX) is constantly spinning the wheel(s) every time I pull out onto the highway, under heavy acceleration. I hope someone will come up with a way to disable that annoying feature.

Happy Valentines day, Mates!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I didn't see your first post, I added the information you posted. Still would like to know purchase date, what date the first failure and model/trim.

purchased 8/1/2019, trim "WD" (from door jamb), first noise symptoms at around 5000 miles or around mid-January.

·
Registered
53 Posts
if its a physical button press down to deactivate this feature it should be easy but still annoying to turn it off as part of daily routine .I'm in canada so it probably stays off on its own during winter months anyways

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine has done the same thing since day day 1. It started as an intermittent groan from the front left wheel, but now at 12k miles it does it consistently with every start-stop. It also sounds like it is coming from all 4 corners now. I am waiting to take it in until Kia has an actual fix. Judging from some of the other posts, they're just throwing parts at the problem to no avail.

81 - 100 of 124 Posts