Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

41 - 60 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
It acts like the brakes lock because the noise is coming from the VSA modulator. Kia doesn't call it the VSA modulator but I'm using Honda terms here because I'm a Honda mechanic. The VSA modulator controls braking function during a skid/loss of control condition. Kia doesn't advertise a brake hold function with there cars, but problem may be related to this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
It acts like the brakes lock because the noise is coming from the VSA modulator. Kia doesn't call it the VSA modulator but I'm using Honda terms here because I'm a Honda mechanic. The VSA modulator controls braking function during a skid/loss of control condition. Kia doesn't advertise a brake hold function with there cars, but problem may be related to this?
Our dealer mechanic swears he knows what it is. When the ISG restarts the car once your foot is off the brake, it does a series of checks including the exact thing you're talking about, an anti-lock brake function check. He thinks the module is recognizing the tire as slipping on ice, even though it's simply standing still because the vehicle is at a stop. It cycles the brake over and over within a few seconds until it finally resets to normal. Not sure if he's right, but it seems pretty accurate to what is happening.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our dealer mechanic swears he knows what it is. When the ISG restarts the car once your foot is off the brake, it does a series of checks including the exact thing you're talking about, an anti-lock brake function check. He thinks the module is recognizing the tire as slipping on ice, even though it's simply standing still because the vehicle is at a stop. It cycles the brake over and over within a few seconds until it finally resets to normal. Not sure if he's right, but it seems pretty accurate to what is happening.

I have a 2020 Kia Soul LX model. I just hit 1,950 miles and started doing the break squeal with start/stop. I'm still playing with it to see how it acts, but so far turning off ISG does get rid of the issue. For me, the issue only starts acting up after the car has fully warmed up. If I take a 10 minute drive to work then it will never happen, but when I drive like an hour somewhere in busy traffic. It will go haywire with how loud the noise gets. I had a guy in a convertible with his top down ask me if my car was alright. He was playing music too and still heard the sound from my kia. I will be taking a trip to the dealership within the next few weeks. I'm too busy atm so ISG can stay off for the time being.

Thanks for posting this information. I will show the mechanics this forum post. This feels like a potential recall if they get enough complaints in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
after 2 months the problem is back, im not taking it back to dealer tho. they had my car for a month last time. they obviously dont know what it is. ill wait for a recall to come out

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
The noise I hear is not a "grinding" sound but more of a moaning sound.
I believe it comes from inadequate brake pressure while the car is momentarily off.
As the car restarts, it wants to move forward as there is now engine force trying to move the car.
At least this is what I think I have been experiencing.
The sound worsens in wet or damp weather and that could be key in diagnosing the issue?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Add me to the list with the same problem on my 2020 EX Soul. It does sound like it's coming from the front left wheel to me.
I don't understand why they would tell someone that turning off ISG could cause damage. Why else would they give us a button to do so?

·
Registered
500 Posts
A couple of days ago, I started backing my 2020 Soul LX out of the driveway. Light brake pressure triggered a loud moaning noise from the brakes. It had been below freezing for a couple of days, and I hadn't driven the car, so I recognized the sound from other cars. Moisture had collected on the brake rotors and there was a thin film of ice on them from that. The light brake pressure while backing caused a vibration from the brake pads and the rotors, which produced the very loud moaning sound. Once I was on the street and going forward, I applied the brakes to melt that ice and it didn't happen again. I've experienced the same thing in those conditions with other vehicles, too. It could be that something similar is happening with the ISG and the stability control system. I don't know, because I press the ISG button right after starting the car and before I put my seat belt on every time I drive.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
In my experiences, mostly with my 2012 soul, these brakes most always emit a moaning sound when first being applied.
It's the light coat of rust they form seemingly overnight coupled with moisture that has yet to be dissipated.
I think this might be the "grinding" sound folks are hearing?
With the I.S.G. activated and the engine off, your brake pedal pressure tends to be less aggressive.
Then, when the engine restarts, the car wants to creep forward slightly and that's when the moaning sound can be heard.

·
Registered
500 Posts
In my experiences, mostly with my 2012 soul, these brakes most always emit a moaning sound when first being applied.
It's the light coat of rust they form seemingly overnight coupled with moisture that has yet to be dissipated.
I think this might be the "grinding" sound folks are hearing?
With the I.S.G. activated and the engine off, your brake pedal pressure tends to be less aggressive.
Then, when the engine restarts, the car wants to creep forward slightly and that's when the moaning sound can be heard.
That could be, as well. If the phenomenon goes away after driving and using the brakes for a while, it might be just that. Or, it could be a more serious problem. I just don't know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The noise I think we're referencing for this problem is definitely not a moan, it's a grind. Definitely mechanical. I would describe it as someone tapping on metal with a small hammer a hundred times in a couple seconds. You can also feel the vibration in the floorboard on the driver side. As others have said, it's the left only. It never happens when applying the brakes manually, only after the ISG has restarted the engine. My old Saturn Vue had the moan you're talking about. Those brakes were rusty as all get out, and it would do it all the time in certain weather conditions. This noise is very different imo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The noise I think we're referencing for this problem is definitely not a moan, it's a grind. Definitely mechanical. I would describe it as someone tapping on metal with a small hammer a hundred times in a couple seconds. You can also feel the vibration in the floorboard on the driver side. As others have said, it's the left only. It never happens when applying the brakes manually, only after the ISG has restarted the engine. My old Saturn Vue had the moan you're talking about. Those brakes were rusty as all get out, and it would do it all the time in certain weather conditions. This noise is very different imo.
We have the same issue as has been described with our 2020 Soul. Definitely grinding from front left, and associated with the ISG when you are coming out of a stop. We started to see this about 1500 mile mark. The dealer had 3 cars with this issue when we were there the other day. Kia ran tests with our dealer techs, and they saw no improvement. They have an ABS module on back order. Just sitting and waiting while they have our car and won’t return it. We have a loaner indefinitely...

·
Registered
11 Posts
We have the same issue as has been described with our 2020 Soul. Definitely grinding from front left, and associated with the ISG when you are coming out of a stop. We started to see this about 1500 mile mark. The dealer had 3 cars with this issue when we were there the other day. Kia ran tests with our dealer techs, and they saw no improvement. They have an ABS module on back order. Just sitting and waiting while they have our car and won’t return it. We have a loaner indefinitely...
Won't return it?? Ludicrous. We also have a module on backorder, but we're still driving it. Just have to remember to press that button to turn it off every time you get in. Here's the funny thing - our dealer told us KIA doesn't give loaners when a car is in for repair. But all I see on here are people driving loaners. When it was in for them to diagnose it we had to use my son's car for a week. My wife is slowly getting to murderous level of anger with this. I'm sleeping with one eye open.

·
Registered
7 Posts
They
Won't return it?? Ludicrous. We also have a module on backorder, but we're still driving it. Just have to remember to press that button to turn it off every time you get in. Here's the funny thing - our dealer told us KIA doesn't give loaners when a car is in for repair. But all I see on here are people driving loaners. When it was in for them to diagnose it we had to use my son's car for a week. My wife is slowly getting to murderous level of anger with this. I'm sleeping with one eye open.
Dealer said they can’t guarantee safe or that not causing damage to drive, because they don’t know the issue for certain, so they don’t want it driven even with the ISG disabled each time we drive. We have a loaner, and I did hear them approving a rental for another of the 3 in at same time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
after 2 months the problem is back, im not taking it back to dealer tho. they had my car for a month last time. they obviously dont know what it is. ill wait for a recall to come out
Is there another site to report these problems to. So a recall could take place. Also our dealer is telling us they can't guarantee damage to our vehicle even when turning off the stop & go feature.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is a real problem. My 2020 soul lx went into dealer yesterday with 4200 miles. There is a definite problem when you stop at a light and then let off brake and accelerate. The sound is a loud thud. Our serviceman road along and heard it so now the car is there while Kia tells them to try different things. Bleeding brakes tomorrow. And then something else. They gave me a rental for the time being. This sucks on a new car

·
Registered
822 Posts
I suspect the standard Kia policy is to not provide loaners, BUT that also assumes the car is in for a scheduled repair and will be done in a day or two. When the car has to sit at the dealer for awhile waiting for a part or trying to figure out an issue, that's a different story and most dealer will provide a loaner under those conditions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is a real problem. My 2020 soul lx went into dealer yesterday with 4200 miles. There is a definite problem when you stop at a light and then let off brake and accelerate. The sound is a loud thud. Our serviceman road along and heard it so now the car is there while Kia tells them to try different things. Bleeding brakes tomorrow. And then something else. They gave me a rental for the time being. This sucks on a new car
Update. ...... they first bled the brakes which did not help it. So kia has said it need the HECU module replaced. Which is the hydraulic electrical control unit. Of course this part is backordered. So kia will keep me in the rental car until part comes in. Said it’s part of braking system and I cannot drive it till new part in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The noise I think we're referencing for this problem is definitely not a moan, it's a grind. Definitely mechanical. I would describe it as someone tapping on metal with a small hammer a hundred times in a couple seconds.
Mine has done the same thing on and off. I am positive it is the ABS activating for some reason or another, feels like the front left wheel. Very annoying, but luckily it doesn't seem to happen very frequently on mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
1/9 Update- dealer has had our Soul since 12/26. Ran a bunch of tests on it and the other souls they have with same issue. Back ordered a new ABS module, finally came in and though quieter, the grinding is still present today. They still have possession of the car, with a loaner Minivan for us. They don’t know what to do except send video back to Kia and saw “Now what?!” Unfortunately, we r having to play musical cars because the driver of our Soul isn’t able to use the loaner. It’s ridiculous with as many posts on this thread that it’s still an unknown to a Kia. Perhaps our first and last Kia.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Is there another site to report these problems to. So a recall could take place. Also our dealer is telling us they can't guarantee damage to our vehicle even when turning off the stop & go feature.
Web results
NHTSA | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

41 - 60 of 151 Posts