Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
Unless it's a misprint. Paperwork says ESL module . I never heard of it either. It may be same thing. Kia may have just renamed it for their vehicle
I've seen this sort of thing being involved with the supply chain. An abbreviation is already taken or the correct one requires a new format. Similar to alpha-numeric codes omitting (alphabet) O. They might have chosen an incorrect three letters over a correct four as a precaution or restriction.
Do you suppose post HECU is from Canada, post ESL is from US would explain the variance, if that's all it is.

Registered
I also have this same issue starting around 5000km/3000 Miles. I brought it in to the dealer last week and they serviced the brakes and of course that didn't fix it. I'm now driving with ISG off all the time.

I was going to bring it back this week for further investigation and diagnostics so I am really glad that I found this thread. It seems this is happening to a few folks and the resolutions are different 馃

Please keep us posted on the results. I'm going to wait a bit before bring mine back to the dealer.

Thanks
Hey KCL!
Are you driving a 2020 EX also?

Registered
I've seen some of the workarounds the engineers have jammed in to compensate for the live power cycle and lack of mechanical function during kill time.
From true standby only select circuits receive power during start, however during kill time all sorts of attempts are made to keep everything live and functioning except the crankshaft. I wouldn't be surprised if that extra moment of brake hold is on purpose to prevent launching the car into the middle of the intersection.

Registered
Just started today. if i use the ISG, when taking foot off brake, loud grinding noise in engine. but doesnt do it if i disable the ISG. anyone else having this problem? gonna try and take in this weekend to see what dealer says.
Sounds like a plan!
I've just permanently disabled the ISG on my Soul, so it's never a problem for me.

Let us know how your trip to the dealer turns out.

FLH :cool:
Please tell me how I can permanently disable the ISG.

Registered
Melbourne, FL here!! How do I permanently disable the ISG?
Here is one of his earlier posts

Registered
Subscribing for updates. I haven't had this problem yet but I only have 500 miles. Will probably do the ISG disable trick soon anyway. So far It's not bothering me but I am pretty sure its going to get real annoying real quick.

Registered
Subscribing for updates. I haven't had this problem yet but I only have 500 miles. Will probably do the ISG disable trick soon anyway. So far It's not bothering me but I am pretty sure its going to get real annoying real quick.
Don't be in a rush. I've found that I've gotten into the habit of pushing the disable button after starting the engine but before doing anything else pretty easily. I only forget occasionally. When I do, I just push the button the first time the engine shuts off. That starts it instantly, and it keeps running the rest of the drive. It's just not that big a deal, I think. You'll get into the habit, too.

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
just got my soul back this am. after the dealer having it for a month. They said main kia branch acknowledged there is a problem with original ISG module. so upgraded one was installed. and they replaced hydraulic control module. said should be no more problems. will post if it didnt work

Registered
Don't be in a rush. I've found that I've gotten into the habit of pushing the disable button after starting the engine but before doing anything else pretty easily. I only forget occasionally. When I do, I just push the button the first time the engine shuts off. That starts it instantly, and it keeps running the rest of the drive. It's just not that big a deal, I think. You'll get into the habit, too.
I am doing the same thing since it only been 2 weeks with the 2020.

Registered
I have zero issues with the start stop feature,and really don鈥檛 understand the dislike.....

It may not be a smoothe as the Wife鈥檚 Jeep Cherokee,but overall is pretty seamless and saves me some fuel while sitting at some of our 4 minute plus lights.

I think it鈥檚 a pretty well sorted feature that adds to the things this little car does well.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts