Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! So I need some help. I have a 2016 Soul EX. June of last year would have been the end of the 5 yr/100km warranty (no extended) and about 3 days after this date the check engine light came on. Mileage at this point was under 100000 km. We took it in right away, and they did their tests, noted it was low on oil but they couldn't detect a leak or where oil was going. Put some oil in, reset the error light and we were on our way. We talked to the service advisor then about the warranty date and our concern about a long term issue and he said just keep bringing it in and they would help fight for warranty coverage even past the date. (I do not know much about cars, but my maintenance is up to date and all done at the dealership so we both have records). The advisor even mentioned this being an issue he is familiar with and had pushed up to get covered before.

Over the last year this issue keeps occurring, probably once every 3-5 months, and they keep "not finding" the issue. Until today, where our new service advisor tells us the piston rings are cracked and the engine is dying. He tells us basically there is no way warranty will cover this. Mileage today is still under 110000 km. I realize I am past the date now, but in my eyes if they had found the issue on that first date we wouldn't even be in this situation.

Any advice on how to proceed? I have no issue moving up the chain to corporate if needed but I feel under prepared because of my lack of knowledge about engines etc.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,870 Posts
How often did you normally check your oil level?

Reactions: rhysoul

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul+ 2.0l automatic in Clear White
237 Posts
I feel a disturbance in the force. It's a known issue with our cars, and as much as you tried to stay on top of it I got a bad feeling. You may have a leg to stand on being you raised concerns before the issue and the engine is still "good" as of now. But it is going to be a hard fight. I suggest looking into a new car and trading what you got. Check that oil way more often and keep a quart of oil in the car for top-ups. Good luck.

·
Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
338 Posts
It sounds like you were past the date the first time you brought it in so they will likely not honor the warranty.

Anything I notice with mine no matter how small, I tell the dealer at my next service and make sure they document it in case it rears it’s head later.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
There is a lack of explanation of what is actually wrong and turning on your check engine light. What exactly is wrong with your car and what code comes up when the check engine light comes on. If you are burning oil it is very unlikely you have a cracked piston ring. A cracked piston ring would produce a giant smoke cloud behind you everywhere you go and you did not mention anything like that. Diagnosing a cracked piston ring would require a compression check of the cylinders and/or looking at the cylinder walls with a bore scope.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i would plead my case to kia customer service if it was me, what have you got to lose? the fact that you had it in several times for an error they couldn't properly diagnose might buy you some leniency...did they ever check the pistons before? i mean if they did and found no damage previously, then its just your bad luck i think and prob 100K is a lot to ask of these vehicles in my opinion. but if they neglected to check them along the way, that's another story and maybe they were negligent in their diagnostics?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts