Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All I have 2016 CPO Soul that I will be bringing it in for maintenance, Oil Change and Alignment I am at 19500 miles I drive over 1000 a month so i am doing 4000 miles oil change at the dealer. The dealer said I am due for an Engine Air FIlter that I was quoted at $90 that is ridiculously overpriced and cabin air filter I think was like $70. I am considering going to pepboys that will charge 70 for both. I was hoping to do all maintenance at the dealer to avoid any warranty disputes. When should I change the engine air filter and would eb OK to go else where without warranty issues? Also would delaying or changing the cabin air filter void any warranty, that is ridiculously overpriced as well. Your thoughts are appreciated. I don't want to be ripped off by the dealer, I also don't want to void my warranty in any way.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Even $70 is too much, get them from Amazon for half that or get a nice K&N filter. And no, you will not void your warranty unless you completely neglect it for years.

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
471 Posts
Hi All I have 2016 CPO Soul that I will be bringing it in for maintenance, Oil Change and Alignment I am at 19500 miles I drive over 1000 a month so i am doing 4000 miles oil change at the dealer. The dealer said I am due for an Engine Air FIlter that I was quoted at $90 that is ridiculously overpriced and cabin air filter I think was like $70. I am considering going to pepboys that will charge 70 for both. I was hoping to do all maintenance at the dealer to avoid any warranty disputes. When should I change the engine air filter and would eb OK to go else where without warranty issues? Also would delaying or changing the cabin air filter void any warranty, that is ridiculously overpriced as well. Your thoughts are appreciated. I don't want to be ripped off by the dealer, I also don't want to void my warranty in any way.
Welcome to the forum SharonT,
DIY is the way to go. To save money & gain a little knowledge.
$40 should get you both filters on Amazon.
The engine air filter is easier to change than opening the cardboard box it came in. The cabin air filter is also easy to replace, a little more delicate to open the easily accessed inside glove box cover.
Follow the recommended intervals in your OM. Doing it yourself, you will learn if you need to adjust your intervals.
The AEM DryFlow filter ($45) I use is guaranteed for 50,000 miles before needing cleaning! I check it annually @ 3,000 mi. and paint pen the cleaning dates on the cover. As long as I keep it clean and it stays intact, that is my cost for the life of the Soul.
The engine air filter is not going to affect the warranty, unless it was the cause (ran w/o or clogged).
Not knowing which Certified Previously Owned engine you have, I cannot link the exact filter.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Cabin air filters can go a LONG time between changes unless you live in an extremely dusty climate. Pretty much the same with air filter. Pull it out, look for excessive dirt, and then decide whether you need a new one or not. I'd recommend sticking with paper type you can get at any auto store or online from amazon. I'm at 32K on mine with original filters still intact and looking good. Got same story from dealer when I took it in a few thou ago!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,611 Posts
Like said above DIY is the way to go. Keep receipts with date and odometer noted on them.

Be sure to lift the engine air filter out for inspection. Just opening the cover & seeing it look nice and clean doesn't reveal what the underside looks like.

Mine had dirt, some styrofoam pebbles & a few leaves under there :)

Some extra info on air filters

·
Registered
425 Posts
I found a package deal for both filters on e bay for $16.15.
That sounds good, but remember the old adage, "If it sounds too good to be true....." Not always, but usually. Maybe these are good name-brand filters at a great price. Check them out, but eyes wide open.

You may want to consider sticking with a name brand like Fram but getting a good deal at Amazon. I used to get the Fram Fresh Air cabin filter and Fram engine air filter for my '13 Soul both for around $25-$30 total at Amazon. If you get a 3rd-world air filter and have engine damage, it's hardly worth the few $$ saved. You're still saving $40 compared to the dealer.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Your dealer would probably install a OEM Kia Filter. You can buy them online many places.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,536 Posts
Your dealer would probably install a OEM Kia Filter. You can buy them online many places.
I had the dealer do my engine air filter because they gave me a good price. I keep a 3-ring binder with ALL data from purchase to tire rotations to oil and filter, when the winter/summer tire changeover is done at Discount Tire, etc. All receipts are in there.
I'd do the air filter every 15,000, I would not cheap out on that just because it's not a smart place to save a couple of bucks IMO. Cabin air depends on how dirty it gets.

Welcome aboard. Hope we can be helpful.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Simple DIY like others have said. I simply change mine every year regardless so it's on a regular schedule. Realistically, $20-$30 will buy both cabin and engine filters from Amazon or Walmart. 5 minutes and you're done.

Greg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all not trying to cheap out but looking for inexpensive alternatives. I Looked online to KIAPARTS.Com. As anyone used them? seems like the prices are pretty good and I guess I wouldn't have to worry about poor quality, any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
508 Posts
The ones I bought on E bay looked and fit just like the oem ones I took out of the car, except did not say Kia.
A paper air filter is umm, a paper air filter and nothing more.
You can find a variety of them in a range of prices to make you happy.
Either way this is one of the easiest diy things you can do. Right after pumping gas. (y)

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
471 Posts
PUMPING GAS!
I do not have this ability any mo'
I haven't needed gas out of State in over a decade. I have only experienced dealing with my gas cap once, to add Techron.
I slipped a couple bills to the Gas Deliver Tech, to add Techron the last time.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
PUMPING GAS!
I do not have this ability any mo'
I haven't needed gas out of State in over a decade. I have only experienced dealing with my gas cap once, to add Techron.
I slipped a couple bills to the Gas Deliver Tech, to add Techron the last time.
Come across the river & you can pump gas to your hearts desire.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Thanks all not trying to cheap out but looking for inexpensive alternatives. I Looked online to KIAPARTS.Com. As anyone used them? seems like the prices are pretty good and I guess I wouldn't have to worry about poor quality, any thoughts on this?
Kiapartsnow.com is pretty good. I've bought multiple parts from them. No problems.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
I am assuming you are in NJ. In Philly (I am now in Bucks) we pump are own gas, but when in NJ I will fill up there :)...
No, up in Washington State where we have to pump our own gas. Egak is across the Columbia River in Oregon where you aren't allowed to do it. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I buy cabin and air filters on eBay. They're made in China but so is everything these days No difference vs OEM filters. Youtube videos shows you exactly how easy it is. But I do use OEM Kia oil filters and Supertech Synthetic from Walmart. Great stuff and usually made by Valvoline.

·
Registered
36 Posts
DIY on the cabin and air filter is the way to go. Lots of views on brand to use, YMMV. There are You Tube videos that show you step by step installation. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Pumping gas gave this guy a lot of jobs as a teenager slinging fuel on the Parkway. And more people than you might think are complete morons when it comes to pumping your own gas. Even back then I saw people putting regular gas into unleaded tanks (if you know what I'm talking about you are old enough to remember when there was both and fuel filler necks that fit either pump), or, even worse, putting diesel into petrol tanks. It's probably a better idea to let people pump gas for the customer because people are still morons. I see them today smoking while pumping gas (Author's note: gas fumes CAN ignite, I've seen it happen), constantly going past the shut off which can kill your evap system, etc.

As for the air filters, even stupid people can change their own air filter. This is a monkey job and I would laugh my ass off at any place that suggested I pay $70 or $90 to change an air filter.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts