Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey gang. In my truck I always like to keep a small bag of tools that I can use in a road-side emergency. I never had a TON of stuff in there, but it saved my bacon from time to time. Any suggestions on what I should keep in my Soul tool bag? what are the most common socket sizes I might need? Right now I'm thinking:

ratchet / a few select sockets
a multi-bit screwdriver
crescent wrench
LED lithium-battery flashlight
duct tape
spare bulbs
spare serp belt
quart of oil
flares
can of WD40
JB Weld
vice grips

any other suggestions? I also have a small 'bug out bag' I keep in my vehicles with person emergency items that aren't car-related. For the Soul-kit, I'm looking at car and working-on-car stuff specifically...

·
Registered
254 Posts
10 and 12mm socket, small flat head screw driver (2x), small phillips head screw driver ( screw drivers are for getting those pesky plastic screws out)
Id keep actual dedicated screw drivers. The bits tend to fall out and roll away when i use them.

Oil Drain Plug is a 17mm i believe

Get a seat belt cutting devide and industrial grade window smasher. Very important incase you end up in the water. My father actually had to save a girl one time when she and her grandfather ended up in the canal. Her grandfather passed away cause she couldnt break the window.

A spare radiator cap is always nice, only $6 or so at Oreillys

WD40 and Duct Tape
If it does move and shouldnt, Duct Tape
If it doesnt move and is should, WD40

·
Registered
385 Posts
^^^ all good ideas. The one thing I like to keep in the car that has actually gotten me out of more emergencies than any other, is cash. I keep a small safe in the car with my documents, a copy of my AAA card, a lighter, flashlight, and some cash, not alot mind you, but enough to handle most little problems if I had lost my wallet. If you don't want to keep a safe, there a thousand places to hide cash in a car, that would take a screwdriver/wrench and knowing exactly where it is to get to.

I guess it's just my luck, but most of my car related, stuck on the side of the road problems were the type where a screwdriver or pliers wouldn't help or fix, so it always seemed I was waiting around for someone to come tow the car or pick me up. I still keep tools, and an emergency kit with most of the standard things in it.

My out of the ordinary suggestions would be, water (drinkable in case), tire plug kit, only if you have an air compressor in your kit though.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
i can't speak much on the car tools, but as for the personal emergency tools...i keep an emergency knife in my soul, it has a glass breaker and seatbelt cutter built into it.

i also have first aid kit, flash light, tazer, and always keep a defensive knife (that i do have a bit of training to use) on my person.

i think I'm going to get some jerky and bungie cord to keep in there too. and whatever else i can think of.

[sent from the squat rack...]

·
Registered
17 Posts
i can't speak much on the car tools, but as for the personal emergency tools...i keep an emergency knife in my soul, it has a glass breaker and seatbelt cutter built into it.

i also have first aid kit, flash light, tazer, and always keep a defensive knife (that i do have a bit of training to use) on my person.

i think I'm going to get some jerky and bungie cord to keep in there too. and whatever else i can think of.

Tazer.... good lawd!

·
Registered
36 Posts
TaZER ? Sounds like a good idea to me. First, anymore there are not a lot of hand tools that will fix Side-of-the-Road Breakdowns where things break, BUT I have had my butt saved by 2 pairs of ViseGrips when my Subaru spun a stud and could get the lug off no other way.
Duct tape, yes, also ZIP ties, have held windshield wipers on till I could find a Canadian Tire and get the right fixture, THEN read them the Riot Act.

I have two tool rolls, one big, one small, and also carry a short hacksaw, so I do carry a variety of tools.

In support of what Eboni said, I always try to keep appropriate equipment about to repel boarders or other miscreants. If he / she is in the States, and maybe Heart of Texas, or in say Washington state like JEKBROWN, I'd say they have a higher "field awareness" level than lots of folks driving the 400 class hiways up here.

Since in the past, my family and friends always had a friendly competition as to whom could effect the best and latest rescue of someone in-need, I tend to carry a lot of gear, which get me laffed at until its needed. I used to carry a small floor jack, which was cumbersome until my buddies most heavily laden toyota drew a flat from hitting a bad bridge joint. He had a spare and changing gear, but we were 80 miles out of town on a gravel road, so he was glad I pulled up behind him with the floor jack. Haven't used it since that one time, but that was the ONE TIME it worked, so ya never know.............

Tazer.... good lawd!

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
I believe tazers are illegal in Ontario if not the rest of Canada.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
i would like to also keep water in my vehicle, but am not sure if it's feasible due to water becoming 'stagnant.'

the last thing i want to be is stranded on some hot texan country road w/o water lol.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
We gots them guns up here too... but baseball bats can go under the seat... on the floor...etc and don't need a permit.

But as they say... don't bring a baseball bat to a gun fight.

·
Registered
728 Posts
We gots them guns up here too... but baseball bats can go under the seat... on the floor...etc and don't need a permit.

But as they say... don't bring a baseball bat to a gun fight.
Carrying around a bat as a "club" for defense is illegal here in TX. Of course, if you play baseball/softball, just leave it in the bag with the rest of equipment and you won't get into trouble. Hide it under your seat and you're likely getting a citation or arrested if an officer finds it.

/random conversation

My "took" kit consists of simple hand tools, a 12v air compressor and jumper cables.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Some kind of multitool, i.e. Leatherman or what ever brand you choose.
Fire starter.
As mentioned Belt cutter/ glass breaker.
These first three are in the drivers door pocket.
"Space" blamket. Or something to keep you warm if you're stuck for a while.
Definitely water. You can always change it out periodically.
Tow strap. Not the kind with the metal hooks. Ask me why...
Most of what I carried in my Wrangler has been transfered to the Soul. Plenty of room since I don't have a spare.

·
Registered
339 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I've seen them snap the hook in half, and the the strap with the remaining piece of the hook came back and took out the windshield.
The straps with the sown ends won't. At least with all of them I've used, I haven't had one break.
Just use the right size strap. The one in my truck is rated at 30K pounds+.
The one in the Soul is "only" rated at 20K pounds. That was in my Jeep.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
life-safety stuff is a completely different bag, stay focused people! :)

Combining results listed thus far...

ratchet / 10/12/17mm sockets + a deep 13/16" for the lug nuts (any other useful socket sizes?)
small/medium flat screwdrivers
medium phillips screwdriver
crescent wrench
LED lithium-battery flashlight
duct tape
spare bulbs
spare serp belt
spare radiator cap
spare oil drain plug
quart of oil
flares
can of WD40
JB Weld
zip ties
vice grips
tow strap

Any other spare fluids/parts that might be useful? Water is already in the personal emergency kit...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts