Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, and thank you for your attention. I have been looking into having my windshield replaced. I have had my soul for 6 months, and have recieved one crack (small chip started it) and one chip. tried to "repair" them, but it obviously didn't work. Its 445 dollars for a new windshield from the dealer, and at least 100 to install it. I read the prior threads and the lawsuit link against honda for the element design. I think we should get together and discuss all aspects of this problem. Maybe we, as a new car owners community, should bring some type of formal writeup to KIA, informing them of our dilemma and how unhappy we are of the service we have recieved. I have never had a cracked windshield, and used to drive down the Mass. Turnpike every weekend with my previous cars. Two long trips home to NY on major highways in my Soul, and two cracks. Any ideas on how to present this problem to KIA in a manner that we might have some type of positive response? Thanks to everyone in the Forums for all your help and support.

·
Registered
728 Posts
check you comprehensive insurance for possible glass coverage - it's required in some states -
Agreed.

I think it is was just just a couple bad rock bounces. I don't think it has anything to do with glass quality or windshield design.

Example:
I don't know anyone and have yet to hear of anyone who had to replace two headlamp assemblies within a year of each other (the same one twice both times due to rock damage) on there 00RS Impreza, but I did. At $375 each (below my insurance deductable) I was not to F'n happy. Lucky I was able to do the install myself and saved some bucks. After the second time I ended up getting some Subaru "off-road" headlamp covers.

So keep your chin up and check your insurance, you're damaged windshield is likely covered. If not you could use your deductable (if low enough) to cover the cost.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Starting lawsuits are not healthy for any business. Communication with Kia is your best start and always work your way up. Documentation is also your best friend. Remember your warrenty, some things are covered and some are not. Best of luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not exactly talking about a lawsuit... I know that KIA motors recognizes US as a car community, if not the biggest car community, for the KIA Soul. We have been recognized in a KIA magazine, and they have taken into account what we talk about on the forums. All I am asking, is that if we could get an actual tally of how many people experience this problem, and when their "production dates" were, we might find something out and KIA might be quite receptive to it. I thought I was the only one that had experienced this issue, and that it was just my ****ty luck, but after reading the last thread on windshield scratches many people commented on having their windshields "chip" easily. Like I said, I have driven many types of cars, and on many different types of roads, and NEVER had a chipping issue. Now I have two instances pop up when I take two major trips within a 2 month time span. I'm just trying to figure out, again, is it my luck or is there actually something behind this?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So keep your chin up and check your insurance, you're damaged windshield is likely covered. If not you could use your deductable (if low enough) to cover the cost.
I already checked into insurance. NH does not require any type of insurance at ALL. Hahaha it actually gets me quite aggrivated because if someone hits my KIA and causes damage, and they don't have insurance... they basically can just say "screw you" and walk away. You can take em into a lawsuit, but is it really worth it?... most of the time they won't pay anyways...

And... my deductable is 500 bucks for comprehensive. I have since gotten a 0 dollar deductable for 60 bucks more a year (ridiculous how my insurance didn't let me know i could do that right off the bat.) but as for this case i'm on my own. If i get another chip on my new windshield, then i'm really gonna raise a ruckus about it. Its not so much about the cost, as it is a reaccuring problem. If it continues to happen, then i'm convinced that my luck has nothing to do with it. I was born in Las Vegas and weighed 7 lbs 11 ounces... why is my luck so ****ty anyways?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Scarecrow - I feel your pain. I personally find the windshield material to be inferior. I have three 'chips' in my windshield thus far and many more small chips. So far I have been able to get them repaired so they do not run. I travel up and down an Interstate every week, so I'm used to having chips in my windshield! But, I must say that my 2007 Toyota Rav4 never got a chip in it and there were several rocks that hit it extremely hard. That being said, all windshields have to meet 'code' and Kia's obviously does. I doubt anything will be done. Good luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks will, nice to know someone shares my pain... my first chip is about the size of tick, and even after being repaired, has resulted in a crack about 16 inches long... guess i'll just take my girlfriends 2009 forester on the long rides...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Prior to the SOUL I had a MINI. When you start driving a vehicle that has an upright/boxy shape you discover that rocks more easily impact both the hood and the windshield. I would get a windshield replaced in the Cooper and literally have another chip within a week. So far my SOUL has made it close to a year with some hard hits to the windshield, but no chips/cracks thus far. I think it comes with the territory when you drive something that isn't shaped like a Prius.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just replaced the windshield on my Chevy Express Van. Ouch! Did that hurt since it was under the deductable, but just barely. By the way, it cracked due to a temperature differential between partial snow cover and sun heating.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Prior to the SOUL I had a MINI. When you start driving a vehicle that has an
upright/boxy shape you discover that rocks more easily impact both the hood and the windshield. I
would get a windshield replaced in the Cooper and literally have another chip within a week. So far my
SOUL has made it close to a year with some hard hits to the windshield, but no chips/cracks thus far.
I think it comes with the territory when you drive something that isn't shaped like a Prius.
BINGO this is what I have observed...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I don't really know why this is an issue, that's not to say that your situation sucks, I really do feel your pain. However, I've yet to own a car that has not had the windshield chip and subsequently crack because of the chip if it's not taken care of. It happens to every car. This is a VERY common problem back home in Montana where some of the roads suck, and in the winter they get sanded.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
I agree, why is it an issue....if you buy a boxy upright car for the space, its common sense to expect to get the odd bit of damage from flying stones.......just drive more carefully and try and leave a bigger gap between you and the car in front. You are gonna get hit eventually - you just hope nothing breaks. You cant blame the car or Kia. If they fitted unbreakable windscreens - no doubt some fool would start a lawsuit on them on safety grounds of being unable to break the windscreen to escape in an emergency!!!!.

Gary.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
can kind of understand the boxy car/windshield issue BUT first hand wash after winter revealed 2 little pit marks (flea size) on top of passenger's door window which i am keeping an eye on b/c boxy car thing does not apply to door windows...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar issue with my Soul. I had one large chip and about 20 to 30 little pits all over the windshield When I took it in for my 7500 mile service to my dealer (at about 7 months) the dealer told me windshields were not covered under warranty. I explained that I thought the glass was inferioir but they wouldn't budge.

I called Kia customer service directly and complained about the windshield. They set up an appointment for a factory rep to meet me at the dealership the next time he was in town.

About three weeks later I met him at the dealership. I explained how I really loved my Soul, and so did my friends and co-workers. However, they always asked me what happened to my windshield. After a little back and forth including explaining that the windshield looked worse than the ten year old Oldmobile that I traded in, the factory rep agreed to replace the windshield under warranty.

Three weeks later the winshield was in and replaced, and no new chips or dings in the glass. I give Kia lots of credit for replacing the glass for me - I didn't have a lot of hope after the initial "No".

So don't settle for the dealer telling you no - contact Kia directly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I find it interesting to see this post. I have had a suspicion that the windshield was inferior for awhile now. It seemed like every time I noticed a rock hit there was a crack. I promptly had the first one repaired only to have two more the next week that have since spread pretty bad. I do realize that the design of the vehicle, which I love, lends itself to a bit more abuse but my 91 Acura that I had before this had tons of small pits but not one crack and it was twenty years old. Anyway, enough ranting from me.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
If thats the case i stand corrected......maybe there is a batch of faulty windscreens out there. Mines unmarked at the moment touch wood. Maybe people with problems need to take note and compare the batch number if possible to see if this is the case.

Gary.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If thats the case i stand corrected......maybe there is a batch of faulty windscreens out there. Mines unmarked at the moment touch wood. Maybe people with problems need to take note and compare the batch number if possible to see if this is the case.

Gary.
thats why i started the thread, to maybe find a common ground between poeple who had this problem, my "chip" started as a pinhole, and ended up being a 16 inch crack, even after a solid windshield "repair"... this has happened twice, with very very very tiny stones tapping the windshield. Thats why i felt it might be faulty...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts