Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle: 2010 Kia Soul ! (U.S. Model) 5-Spd Manual, Disc/Disc brakes

This might fall under the category of "User Error" but I need to look somewhere.

Twice in the last 6 months my wife has had to call roadside assistance because in her words "the car won't move". Both times I have had her on the phone (freaking out) and it sounds to me like the emergency brake is frozen. She says she can get it to move backwards a little but she revs it so much it starts smelling like clutch (I can only imagine how hard she's pushing it).

She says the parking brake lever is fully released, there are no lights on the dash and the engine runs fine. Of course by the time it gets to the dealer there is no problem and the car rolls fine!

It happened again last night, this time she went back inside for a few hours to see if it would go away. She finally gave up and called roadside, they arrived an hour later and car rolled perfectly (of course).

I have never been able to reproduce the problem nor has it ever happened to me. The car has 35,000 miles.

Has anyone had this happen on the rear disc brake Kia Soul??

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've only had this happen on one car, an old VW, where moisture got into the parking brake cables. Check the cable housings (or if it's under warranty, have the dealer do so). What was the weather and any other circumstances?

Also possible they're kinked or binding somewhere. If it happens again, tap the calipers and see if they release, check for debris hung up in the calipers or cables. Heck, if you have the 18" wheels you can reach right in! Maybe check if anything near the fly-off handbrake lever could have jammed the linkage, that was a possibility in my old Jetta of the boot was off. Of course, see if the handbrake lever itself is releasing fully, even after a gorilla-pull on it.

Good luck,

·
Registered
124 Posts
ME too "stuck" Brake.. wont even roll fwd.

She says the parking brake lever is fully released, there are no lights on the dash and the engine runs fine. Of course by the time it gets to the dealer there is no problem and the car rolls fine!

I have never been able to reproduce the problem nor has it ever happened to me. The car has 35,000 miles.

WELL It is happening to me ..
I can roll it backward but NOT forward.. Thanks to Dixon for good advice .. I dont "see" anythingthruthe spokes.. taking it into dealer to fix only 10K miles.. weather is FREEZING.. so hope its the "Moisture In the line"

Standing By

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
only one recent complaint about parking brake over on nhtsa (https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm) and is the opposite of your experience...

Make : KIA MOTOR
Model : SOUL Year : 2010
Manufacturer : HYUNDAI-KIA AMERICA TECHNICAL CENTER INC
Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
ODI ID Number : 10369845
Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: October 15, 2010 VIN : KNDJT2A23A7...
Component: PARKING BRAKE
Summary:
I AM THE OWNER OF A 2010 SOUL. THE CAR ROLLED DOWN A HILL IN 1ST GEAR WITH THE EMERGENCY BRAKE ON TWICE, THE 2ND TIME INTO A RIVER. NOW EVERY TIME IT IS DAMP OR COLD THE EMERGENCY BRAKE STICKS [STAYS ON WHEN THE LEVER IS DISENGAGED] AND I END UP DRIVING WITH THE BRAKE ON. THE ENTIRE CAR SHAKES UNTIL THE BRAKE LETS GO. I HAVE HAD THE CAR LOOKED AT BY MY LOCAL DEALER TWICE AND THEY HAVE DONE NOTHING.

·
Registered
124 Posts
well It just got back from dealer, they found the emergency brake was stuck and cable is on order, the ABS code C1211, and the right rear cable was "Manipulated" .. drives fine now.. I just dont get how hard barking would affect the "secondary and seperate" E brake system.. But regardless, its sooooo Nice to get a free tow and this problem fixed for 0$..

My car has rolled a few times with e brake on,(granted maybe just a few clicks.. )Very annoying but I learhned to leave it in gear.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Sounds interesting. I have automatics in all of my Kias, but I always use the parking brake (mainly because it tells you to in the owner's manual, and so that the NHTSA can focus on issues that actually are safety issues, not stupid mistakes by owners blaming their cars). I could imagine that being unbelievably annoying, however. One thing I noticed is that after 60k miles, the cable is getting a little bit loose over time. Maintenance schedule says to check every 3k miles and adjust as needed, so next oil change......

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
My car has rolled a few times with e brake on,(granted maybe just a few clicks.. )Very annoying but I learhned to leave it in gear.
if i read what person said right then i think the car was left in first gear with emergency brake on when it rolled down a hill twice which kind of surprised me b/c i would have left it in reverse on hill but think the manual calls for either one but not sure....

·
Registered
556 Posts
You park in 1st gear if you are parked facing UPhill, and you park in Reverse if you are parked facing DOWNhill. Otherwise, your engine can start and your car will drive away, which is a safety issue :p

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
was curious after i posted and checked manual... 5-17 in mine says nothing about reverse and says to leave car in low gear so nhtsa person that rolled away in first with parking brake on does have a legit complaint but for me, leaving car in reverse when facing downhill does make the most logical sense....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm quite concerned on this issue you speak of and I don't know if you guys ever resolved it. I am a firm believer in the always using the parking brake whether it be on a hill or flat surface, auto or manual. To the persons that had issues with the parking brake freezing, Do you use yours on a regular basis or simply when you are on a hill. To the best of my knowledge and the research I have done, the consensus of the manufacturers and repair persons alike, it is to be used all the time. Please be honest and tell me your reasons for I am not the only one who drives the car and I'm trying to get the others to learn the importance of it. They are older and set in their ways and will not listen to the difference UNLESS it is heard from the dealer or others whom have had the same problem with the same car.
2012 Kia soul

·
Registered
81 Posts
You park in 1st gear if you are parked facing UPhill, and you park in Reverse if you are parked facing DOWNhill. Otherwise, your engine can start and your car will drive away, which is a safety issue :p
1st or reverse doesn't make a difference in regards to which way you're facing on a hill. Engine still rotates in the same direction during operation. One should always park in the lowest gear, however. Most often reverse is actually lower than 1st, so it's more advisable to use it. Example: early 2000 Saabs would not let you remove the key from ignition upon parking until the manual gear selector was in reverse.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank God somebody else mentioned this! I have a 2010 Soul (5-spd. manual trans) that I bought in May of '09. This has always been an issue; if the car get wet and sits for a day or two, the e-brake locks up, and when I put it in gear, it releases with a loud POP. Oh, and I park on a flat concrete driveway... hills aren't part of my issue.

In my 2nd year with the Soul, I started storing it during the summers (I have a couple other cars I only use when we have good weather in Ohio). I began storing it in a friend's garage, totally enclosed with concrete floor. Well, when I went to get it out in the Fall, the parking brake SHOES were rusted to the drum! It had to be flatbedded to the dealer as it would not roll, no matter what I tried.

The dealer confirmed it: shoes rusted to parking brake drum due to "a lot of metal in the brake shoe lining." They cleaned & lubed up everything, and put new shoes in. They suggested that I leave the trans in gear and keep the parking brake OFF when it's in storage. Oh- and with the Tons Of Souls running around this city, I was the only one they'd ever seen with this issue.

The next summer, I did that. Guess what? That Fall, the e-brake was again frozen, and the rear wheels would NOT move. Again with the flatbed, and off to the dealer!

The service mgr. suggested that my storing it was unusual, and that in the Spring, I'd take it in to have them: 1- clean & lube the entire mechanism, 2- back off the e-brake for extra clearance. 3- I agreed to get the Soul and drive it for a few minutes each month while in storage. It worked, and I got had no issues this past November when I put it back on the road.

Even so-- I never went back to the dealer this year to have the e-brake adjusted back up. It didn't need it! Also, now that Winter is upon us, if the car gets damp and sits for a day, the e-brake sticks to the drum and breaks loose with that loud POP. I'm glad to know it's not just me! This is a legitimate issue with the Soul, and the composition of the materials in the e-brake lining seems to be the problem. Now-- what can we do about this??

·
Registered
928 Posts
Just curious. How's the car going to start with the ignition off and the key in the house?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone have a 'FIX' for this problem? Own 2010 Kia Soul 5 speed manual. Parking Brake lever disengage/brake light off; BRAKE is STILL engaged. This occurs on incline or flat surface.
AND, if parked on incline Park Brake ON & in 1st Gear...several hours may go by only to find the car rolled down the drive into the street. I have parked on incline driveway (backed into drive) using reverse gear & Park Brake ON to hold in place.
In this position Park Brake will not hold car in place while in neutral.
Dealers Maintenance Techs have not located problem.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Does anyone have a 'FIX' for this problem? Own 2010 Kia Soul 5 speed manual. Parking Brake lever disengage/brake light off; BRAKE is STILL engaged. This occurs on incline or flat surface.
AND, if parked on incline Park Brake ON & in 1st Gear...several hours may go by only to find the car rolled down the drive into the street. I have parked on incline driveway (backed into drive) using reverse gear & Park Brake ON to hold in place.
In this position Park Brake will not hold car in place while in neutral.
Dealers Maintenance Techs have not located problem.
Until fixed, carry two building bricks and turn the wheels into the curb.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
a thorough check of the manual hand-brake system needs checking out - not adjusted correctly both inside and out, defective cable/s, seized adjusters, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Folks, the correction/fix is the rear ebrake cables. Whether the Ebrake will not "hold" the car and/or the Ebrake does not properly disengage - Look at the Cables. Do not carry cement blocks around. Inspection found rear ebrake cables seized.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,091 Posts
I ALWAYS use my emergency brake no matter where I'm parked. ALWAYS works for me.....just use the damn thing folks and you will not have an issue!

·
Registered
1 Posts

This might fall under the category of "User Error" but I need to look somewhere.

Twice in the last 6 months my wife has had to call roadside assistance because in her words "the car won't move". Both times I have had her on the phone (freaking out) and it sounds to me like the emergency brake is frozen. She says she can get it to move backwards a little but she revs it so much it starts smelling like clutch (I can only imagine how hard she's pushing it).

It happened again last night, this time she went back inside for a few hours to see if it would go away. She finally gave up and called roadside, they arrived an hour later and car rolled perfectly (of course).

2010 Automatic...sitting at idle, foot on brake "jawing" with neighbor. Went to back up, felt like emergency brake was engaged. Backed out of a driveway, pulled away and it still felt like the emergency brake was on. ( it wasn't). Dead stopped in the middle of the street. it would barely move forward and reverse. Let it sit for 5 minutes and it moved a little better, at least enough to get it to the curb.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts