Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've got a 2012 soul+, and recently noticed that my e-brake, unless fully engaged, doesn't seem to hold, at all. And even at fully engaged, it's very "light" on the holding. Is this typical for the soul?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
when fully engaged on its maximum pull does it hold the car in place on a slope? If not get it adjusted as it should do that, just like on any vehicle.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have found it takes a little more if mine is on a slope. If you pull up a little then it only grabs the disk a little.

It may need adjusting though.

Peace

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I had the exact same thing on my Soul. The brake shoes on the inside of the rear discs are what the E-brak operates, and they are not as effective if you parking uphill (so your car want's to roll backwards) as they are parking downhill. This is common. Make sure to set the parking brake AND leave the car in 1st or reverse gear.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had a little incident last week, that could have been bad.

Pulled into a CVS to return a redbox movie, parked and set the parking brake as usual. Went and stuck the movie in and turn around and the cars rolling back and turning. right towards the parking lot entrance.
I thought someone had jacked it for a split second, so ran and got to it.

The lot had a small slope apparently. But I to feel the parking brake isnt very tight, even when fully pulled up. Never had this issue before, maybe its getting loose.

Anyone know how to tighten them? Is there a cable tensioner you just tighten?

I'm not gonna waste another day of my life at the dealership to have them do it even if its covered. Im sure it cant be difficult, Ive just never done it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I didn't think mine was all that tight either. Then one day I set it as usual on my buddy's sloped driveway, and it rolled backwards as though I hadn't set the brake. I guess it wasn't tight! I pulled the lever as far as it would go and it held. I'm still having the dealer look at it when I'm in for an oil change.

·
Registered
750 Posts
They should "self adjust" tighter by backing up and stopping (just like cars have been doing for years). There is a "lever stroke adjustment" under the console, but chances are, your brake shoes are just a bit loose in the drum, and need to be adjusted. Even the disk brake models have drum parking brake shoes under the center "drum" of the disk. The parking brake does NOT squeeze the pads onto the rotor as it might first appear. There are shoes underneath that can be adjusted through a hole in the disk hub area. Look on Kia tech info for details....

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
to save some hassle here is the adjustment for the handbrake

However, on KGIS there is full description of the whole braking system showing how to work on it all.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Many cars actually do adjust the parking brakes by reversing though, my old Cavalier did that.
Oh I know, it's jut not how this car does it.

For what it's worth, I don't tightening your brake cables will do much. In fact, I think you'll have dragging brakes by doing that. Unless your handle tops out inside the car VERY easily, you won't need to do this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good point. If I put some muscle into it for a couple more clicks, it holds just fine on hills and the handle is not topped out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all. Glad to know it's not just me. I'll get it in for service (I don't drive often enough to warrant me doing the adjustment myself). Plus, if anything goes wrong, it's on them.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
You can try this to solve your problem

The parking brake is not meant to stop a car except in emergency situations. This means that the pads and braking surfaces stay in pristine condition because the only time they are applied is when you are already stopped. While in this condition, the pads and drum have not really been 'bedded' in which can decrease braking efficiency.

What I did to mine which helped the parking brake grab better is drive around the block a few times going no more that 25mph and only using my parking brake to slow down and stop that car at intersections (this is kind of dangerous because you have WAY less braking effectiveness so be extremely cautious). This does two things. First it takes the factory finish off of the drum's braking surfaces, and the brake shoe's surface. The second thing is that it beds in the brakes as a whole so that the surfaces mate perfectly.

This helped the parking brake hold much better. Give it a shot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts