Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have suddenly experienced a strange problem with the electronic locks on my 2011 Kia Soul ! with OEM pushbutton start. When I push the button on the either door, or the remote, all doors EXCEPT the driver's door unlock immediately. The buttons on the armrests for the door locks do nothing. When getting up to speed, all the doors lock as normal, same for if I use the lock button on the remote, or pressing the button on the doors while they are unlocked. This happened right after my car battery died, and I got it started with a jump.

Normal behaviour for the driver's door button is to unlock just the driver's door on the first push, then all doors on the 2nd. The passenger door should always do all doors.

I had previously read several messages (that I can't find any longer) that there can be a glitch in the computer resulting in this behaviour with a weak battery, and disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes would fix it. Unfortunately, on my car, this hasn't worked. I just got a new car battery at lunch.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,307 Posts
I might suggest scrolling towards the bottom of this page where it says "Similar Threads." No, it's not about people wearing clothes that look like yours. You'll find links to folks who have discussed power lock issues.

Hopefully you'll find some good information there.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
966 Posts
I suspect your actuator may be failing; not extremely common on these, but common enough. If so, they're not super cheap, costing around $400 to $500 to replace although if you DIY it, you could probably find one for under $200

Good luck!
Greg

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,307 Posts
A common question at this point would be have you checked all the grounding points under the hood?

It's a know problem, especially on a Soul that age.

You can use the SEARCH function & find good advice on how to correct grounding issues.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think I've had a similar issue with my 2011+. On the rare occasion, my driver door will either not lock or unlock with the rest of the doors, but a second press on the FOB usually gets it going. However, I have a Viper alarm system installed completely bypassing the factory relays so I know if one actuator of the 4 doesn't pop then it's the actuator or the wiring to it. Fortunately mine has been rare enough to not warrant attention.

If it were me; I'd pull the door panel off and probe the connector with a Multi-Meter at the lock actuator to see if it's consistently getting power when the other doors lock and unlock.
If it is, then you have a faulty actuator; if not, then things get more complicated.

If it's a bad actuator, replacement kinda sucks. You have to remove the window regulator assembly for sure and I'm not sure if you can get the actuator out without also removing the window track.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I've had a similar issue with my 2011+. On the rare occasion, my driver door will either not lock or unlock with the rest of the doors, but a second press on the FOB usually gets it going. However, I have a Viper alarm system installed completely bypassing the factory relays so I know if one actuator of the 4 doesn't pop then it's the actuator or the wiring to it. Fortunately mine has been rare enough to not warrant attention.

If it were me; I'd pull the door panel off and probe the connector with a Multi-Meter at the lock actuator to see if it's consistently getting power when the other doors lock and unlock.
If it is, then you have a faulty actuator; if not, then things get more complicated.

If it's a bad actuator, replacement kinda sucks. You have to remove the window regulator assembly for sure and I'm not sure if you can get the actuator out without also removing the window track.
I had to change the fuse panel under the dash 4 hundred and some odd dollars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts