Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn’t know how to title my post, so let me explain. My husband and I are trying to sell our 2011 Kia Soul (I’m not sure if it’s a + or not), because we’re stuck in Erie, Pa. with 2 cars (his and mine), and running out of money FAST … we need to get to Syracuse, NY (our home town) and find an apartment like tomorrow!

It’s a long story how we ended in this situation (very sad really), but the urgent priority is to sell our Kia and leave in my car (2010 Honda Fit).

The Kia has a lien on it for $3000. It’s in very good shape. It has the beginnings of a dime sized rust on both wheel coverings (not sure I’m explaining where correctly). Very tiny and barely noticeable.

Yesterday we brought it to dealer who made an offer on Kelly Blue Book. He picked at some issues that I feel we’re problem at all! I feel he was lowballing us to make his profit. But he actually expected us to accept $3000 and walk away with NO profit.

So I’d really appreciate some help. What should we expect to get for our 2011 Soul? We’ve had offers in NY, but my husband can’t drive anymore, so we can’t get both cars to NY. Also, we have no more money for hotels here, and have to leave asap.

Now I KNOW I could sell my Honda Fit for more … because it’s paid for, but it also needs cleaning badly (I just drove across country), and I really love it (ride is much smoother, etc.). I’d prefer not to have to sell it, but if we have to, I will.

I’m out of energy after driving across country, so can’t do too much more.

Suggestions? Ideas? Anything? TIA

·
Registered
2012 Soul ! 2019 Optima
50 Posts
Stop in any other dealer. Do not tell them your story. Just say you want to sell your second car today and what is their best offer. If it is not a good price tell them goodbye and go to next dealer.
3000 sounds really low. Sight unseen I would think closer to 5000.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Soooo this is what happened. A very frustrating and confusing day!
I think I made a mistake and now feel really bad about it.

Husband and I were about to park our car for a month and leave, but then got a call from a dealer who said he would for sure honor the $5000 online. I told him the last offer we got and what they had pointed out, and that we couldn’t waste time if he wasn’t sure. He said for sure.

im usually very guarded and smart, but because of everything we’ve been through, I was exhausted and just too tired to be my usual cautious self.

Anyway we get there and he takes it out for a ride … goes to his manager and they offer $4000. Remember, we owe $3000 on it, which means we’ll just get $1000. I said no, give me $4500 and we’ll make he deal. Back to manager …. Comes back with $4300. Add to all this that we had to get back to hotel before our check out time because our cat was there, and they had to clear the room for next person. We told them this several times.

I told him I’m not going to play manager games, it’s $4500 or nothing. Goes in back, comes out with $4500. Minus the $3000, we’ll get a check for $1500. Still felt too low for me, but I wasn’t sure. Husband has cognitive issues, so he takes awhile to understand. He finally said ok, some is better than nothing.

Dealer goes to pay off bank after we sign paperwork. Comes back that we owe $3300 not $3000 as we thought. So now, we get a check for only $1200. Ugh!

They take FOREVER cutting us a check. I’m pissed by now because of hotel. He has a salesman drive us back to hotel, and salesman is young kid who takes his sweet time and doesn’t say ONE word to us the whole way.

So I don’t know … but I feel sick that I gave in to so little, but then he did point out a small dent in car we never saw, several scratches on door handle, and a few other minor things.

I feel I let my husband down, so I’m feeling pretty bad about it tonight.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,460 Posts
Go online to one of the online buyers, i.e. carmax or carvana. Get an online quote. Be honest in your description of the car. All I can think of. Anyway, welcome to the forum.
Good idea Hammerhead. I bet if she can join a forum and write that post, she'll have no problem checking out a car website to compare prices. Probably should have started there :unsure:

Reactions: Hammerhead

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stop in any other dealer. Do not tell them your story. Just say you want to sell your second car today and what is their best offer. If it is not a good price tell them goodbye and go to next dealer.
3000 sounds really low. Sight unseen I would think closer to 5000.
Unfortunately we didn’t have time to do that, as we had to leave the state due to not enough finances to continue paying for a hotel.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,460 Posts
I DID start there, that’s where he came from, he was one who offered $5000
So when I Google the words "2011 Kia Soul" it shows used ones in the $10,000 - $14,000 range. What happens when you do it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think you were hosed. I took the lowest trim style for the 2011 Kia Soul, gave it 70,000 miles and said it was in very good condition, and this is what KBB says.

You should have been easily able to get the $5,000 if the car is in good condition, considerably more if it was a higher end trim.

Organism Font Line Terrestrial plant Circle
Organism Font Circle Parallel Terrestrial plant

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
It is soo sad the way the elderly are taken advantage of. Sorry, this happened to you, and hope life gets better for you. I got a Carvana quote out of curiosity and they offered me $1700 over what I owe. Also, there is a charge the bank charges at end of payments like an escrow or something like that. The dealer cut you a check the same day and Carvana would not be able to do that. I try to always look for the bright side. Take care.

Reactions: Hammerhead
1 - 11 of 11 Posts