Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just had work done few months ago replaced both catalytic converters and manifold. Spent alot of money now it's throw the code “Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1).”
WTFFFFF

·
Registered
17 Posts
You might want to look at my post entitled 0420 from about 3- 4 weeks ago. Do you have the 1.6 or 2.0 engine. There was a recall on the 1.6. I am still working on a solution on mine but the one interesting thing on mine is the code comes up in cold weather. Is that happening to you?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Agreed. Two thoughts: 1) might there be a slight leak in the exhaust system up stream of the O2 sensors? I saw a great YouTube video where, with the engine cold, hook up a shop vac to the exhaust pipe and blow air in, pressurizing the exhaust system and then with a spray bottle, spray soapy water in all the joints, including the exhaust manifold connection to the engine. Any bubbles you have a leak and that could be your issue. It’s possible that when you had the manifold and cats replaced, they were not connected tight enough such that a gasket is leaking
2). I have wondered whether the O2 sensors have a heating circuit in them and, if so, whether it is not working, causing a longer period of time before the sensor(s) are warm enough to kick in…Don’t know the answer to that but it might explain why I only get the code in cold weather. Maybe someone else can chime in on this

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,124 Posts
If you both could put the year and model of Soul in your signature line or description, it would help others to follow the conversation easier and offer assistance.

Thanks very much.

• Love
Reactions: westslope

·
Registered
827 Posts
Example. See my "sig" or signature file* below:

* This is super easy to do.

·
Registered
827 Posts
..... 1) might there be a slight leak in the exhaust system up stream of the O2 sensors? I saw a great YouTube video where, with the engine cold, hook up a shop vac to the exhaust pipe and blow air in, pressurizing the exhaust system and then with a spray bottle, spray soapy water in all the joints, including the exhaust manifold connection to the engine. Any bubbles you have a leak and that could be your issue. It’s possible that when you had the manifold and cats replaced, they were not connected tight enough such that a gasket is leaking
Those are all excellent points and I do like the blow air into the exhaust pipe method idea. 10^3 thanks! Will have to try that out on my 4X4 which has a pending A/F sensor code that might be due to an exhaust system leak.

p0420 could indicate a faulty ground on the (downstream) O2 sensor but in the case of the Soul, I have yet to run into anybody with that problem. Given how most Souls are used and the generous underbody protection, a small leak in the exhaust system strikes me as more plausible.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
127 Posts
As I recall, the EPA requires manufacturers to replace catalytic converters (without charge) which fail before the vehicle is 10 years old. You might want to check into that.

It doesn't matter WHY the catalytic converter failed. The manufacturer is REQUIRED to replace the catalytic converter if the vehicle is less than 10 years old. It is federal law in USA.

You can even get reimbursed from the manufacturer if you paid cash out-of-pocket for repairs that are covered under USA federal law. Wow! You can actually get cash from the manufacturer if you paid to fix the manufacturer's F-up! Imagine that!?!?!

Oh... those pesky federal regulations that Republicans hate! Somehow, those regulations keep helping people to drink clean water, breathe clean air, and (gasp) get their cars repaired when manufacturers F-up! Oh, my God! We need to REPEAL those regulations, right?!?!?!?!?

·
Registered
17 Posts
As I recall, the EPA requires manufacturers to replace catalytic converters (without charge) which fail before the vehicle is 10 years old. You might want to check into that.

It doesn't matter WHY the catalytic converter failed. The manufacturer is REQUIRED to replace the catalytic converter if the vehicle is less than 10 years old. It is federal law in USA.

You can even get reimbursed from the manufacturer if you paid cash out-of-pocket for repairs that are covered under USA federal law. Wow! You can actually get cash from the manufacturer if you paid to fix the manufacturer's F-up! Imagine that!?!?!

Oh... those pesky federal regulations that Republicans hate! Somehow, those regulations keep helping people to drink clean water, breathe clean air, and (gasp) get their cars repaired when manufacturers F-up! Oh, my God! We need to REPEAL those regulations, right?!?!?!?!?

8 years and 80,000 miles. It should be 10 and 100,000!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
127 Posts
8 years and 80,000 miles. It should be 10 and 100,000!
Are you certain? I thought it was 10 years, unlimited mileage.

You are referring to the North Carolina statute that I linked above. But I think the FEDERAL statute (EPA) requires a catalytic converter to perform for 10 years (no limit on mileage).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts