Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,612 Posts
Probably a "feature" of archaic software and processing power savings.

If you absolutely have to edit a post contact me via PM.
I need to edit most of my old posts so I sound smarter :)

Happy New Year Shaggy!!

·
Super Moderator
9,510 Posts
I need to edit most of my old posts so I sound smarter :)

Happy New Year Shaggy!!
New Year, I thought it was only Summer. Editing can change the order of what you said or how you said it, but it cannot improve or influence the history of your statements. You got to live with that. :)

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
New Year, I thought it was only Summer. Editing can change the order of what you said or how you said it, but it cannot improve or influence the history of your statements. You got to live with that. :)
What about a Time Machine feature? That way I can go back to 2012 and whack the genius at Kia upside the head who thought GDI was so brilliant :)

·
Super Moderator
9,510 Posts
What about a Time Machine feature? That way I can go back to 2012 and whack the genius at Kia upside the head who thought GDI was so brilliant :)
I would like to whack a few of the marketing folks for not offering some options as stand alones like mirror turn signals, and some doodads in the cabin. I miss the power folding mirrors most of all and the limited availability of the two tone option in anything other than a limited plus model. Bah.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Shaggy is correct. Changing of posts would upset the flow of information and change context, resulting in damage to the threads themselves.

- JB
"What's done, is done" : Shakespeare

"Everything that needs to be said has already been said. But since no one was listening, everything must be said again." : André Gide

"Don't mess with the timeline." : The Butterfly Effect

Happy New Year JB and thank YOU for all your hard work on our forum. You're very much appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I often make little typos or need to add a word here and there and I've always been able to "Edit" my posts to make them better, but......for some reason I've been robbed of that valuable option. What gives?
I want my Edit power back. I promise, it won't cause the thread to collapse.

FLH :cool:

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
474 Posts
I often make little typos or need to add a word here and there and I've always been able to "Edit" my posts to make them better, but......for some reason I've been robbed of that valuable option. What gives?
I want my Edit power back. I promise, it won't cause the thread to collapse.

FLH :cool:
You can still edit this post, by clicking the 3 dots at the right top of your post. 24 hr. time limit.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl ~56K km (35K miles) Michelin CrossClimate tires
147 Posts
Shaggy is correct. Changing of posts would upset the flow of information and change context, resulting in damage to the threads themselves.

- JB

Fine. But there is no free lunch. That feature comes at a cost. A real cost.

·
Administrator
843 Posts
Hey there,

As per the release notes:

We’ve done some restyling of the action buttons on a post to make it less visually cluttered. We’ve also moved the Report function to the three dot overflow action button.

Edit Limits Updated
We’ve heard a lot of feedback on editing limits on posts, especially older posts that may contain outdated information. Because of that, we’ve made some changes to editing permissions. Members now have unlimited edit permissions for up to 10 discussion posts, 10 showcase posts and 10 gallery posts per week. That will allow those who wish to update a project thread, correct a typo or update event information to do so, even if the post is from months ago.
As always, moderating team members will have access to edit as they always have.
Members can access the edit function on their own posts by clicking the three dot action button next to the timestamp on their post.

Let me know if you have questions!

-Gerrit

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Thanks Gerrit! This will give me a little more time to cover my tracks when I scew up. Appreciate all your efforts :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Members now have unlimited edit permissions for up to 10 discussion posts, 10 showcase posts and 10 gallery posts per week. That will allow those who wish to update a project thread, correct a typo or update event information to do so, even if the post is from months ago.

Thanks for this info! 👍
I have a few questions though; If I post 11 posts or replies this week and make typos or grammatical errors in each one (I'm aware I'm a sloppy writer, but I'm a perfectionist in the final product 😉) I will only be able to edit/fix the first 10 and number 11+ will be uneditable? Is there a way for us to tell where we are within that limit before it's applied? What parameters define a week; Monday-Sunday, 7 days, etc.? Do "posts" also include postings made in Conversations?

Personally I'd prefer an unlimited number of time-limited edits as my edits tend to be to fix my own sloppiness due to late night postings, old & failing eyesight and tiny screens, but I'll adjust accordingly and be more careful before clicking that Post button.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have another question;
Where are the Release Notes linked or accessible from within the Forum Listing? I ask because these release notes never showed up in our "new messages", which is the way I access these forums to see what's new on the site. I may have had a senior moment, but I don't remember being notified or seeing mention of these changes to editing being announced. (anyone else see them?) They're not accessible from the Community Help forum where I would think they would be posted or linked to. I'm a relative newbie so am I missing something or how to properly be aware of them whenever they're updated? Thanks! 👍

·
Administrator
843 Posts
Thanks for this info! 👍
I have a few questions though; If I post 11 posts or replies this week and make typos or grammatical errors in each one (I'm aware I'm a sloppy writer, but I'm a perfectionist in the final product 😉) I will only be able to edit/fix the first 10 and number 11+ will be uneditable? Is there a way for us to tell where we are within that limit before it's applied? What parameters define a week; Monday-Sunday, 7 days, etc.? Do "posts" also include postings made in Conversations?

Personally I'd prefer an unlimited number of time-limited edits as my edits tend to be to fix my own sloppiness due to late night postings, old & failing eyesight and tiny screens, but I'll adjust accordingly and be more careful before clicking that Post button.
This is not currently true, but as of tomorrow: You have unlimited edits as you always have within 24 hours of posting. After this 24 hour window, you will have to "spend" one of the 10 edit "tokens" you have. Tomorrow's release notes should provide more details about the remaining questions, but if not I'll be here to fill in those gaps :)

I have another question;
Where are the Release Notes linked or accessible from within the Forum Listing? I ask because these release notes never showed up in our "new messages", which is the way I access these forums to see what's new on the site. I may have had a senior moment, but I don't remember being notified or seeing mention of these changes to editing being announced. (anyone else see them?) They're not accessible from the Community Help forum where I would think they would be posted or linked to. I'm a relative newbie so am I missing something or how to properly be aware of them whenever they're updated? Thanks! 👍
In my initial comment the bolded link gets you to the release notes. Or at the bottom of the page the "Help" button should help out.

Cheers,
Gerrit

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl ~56K km (35K miles) Michelin CrossClimate tires
147 Posts
Gerrit, Seems like a significant improvement which should satisfy most.

Why the limit on the number of edits? What problem are you attempting to avoid?

I ask because maybe there is a potential problem out there in web-based fora chat land that I am not aware of.

·
Registered
354 Posts
You have unlimited edits as you always have within 24 hours of posting. After this 24 hour window, you will have to "spend" one of the 10 edit "tokens" you have. Tomorrow's release notes should provide more details about the remaining questions, but if not I'll be here to fill in those gaps :)

Thank you for clarifying! This is actually a better setup for my typo-prone self. 👍

In my initial comment the bolded link gets you to the release notes. Or at the bottom of the page the "Help" button should help out.

I'm aware of your link to the release notes in your above posting, and I do now see the Help link at the very bottom of the page, but unless we happen to click that link how will we know that you've made & announced a new release or other changes to the site? The content within that Help link doesn't show up in our New Messages when new release notes are added, does it? How will we know when you've added to the release notes? Do we have to intentionally click Help—>Release Notes in order to see if you've made any changes or updates?

I'm asking because in the few months since joining these forums you've posted about a dozen new release notes and I've been completely unaware of any of them, that is until you replied to this thread and told us about these new edit changes. It seems that your release notes don't filter into the New Messages function (the New icon on the top of the page) and are separate of the forums altogether. And as a frequent participator I use that New Messages function to see...well...what's new on the site. 😁

Am I making any sense, or am I missing something obvious?

It's awesome that you're constantly making the site better all the time.
Thank you! 👍

·
Administrator
843 Posts
Gerrit, Seems like a significant improvement which should satisfy most.

Why the limit on the number of edits? What problem are you attempting to avoid?

I ask because maybe there is a potential problem out there in web-based fora chat land that I am not aware of.
There is a range of issues with "open" or "unlimited" editing spanning from trojaning in malicious edits to some more forum sided things like losing the conversation flow with the loss of a post. When selecting an edit time we looked through the statistics of when a majority of these edits were made and rested on 24 hours to cover a vast majority of these popular edit windows. Let me know if that has been as insightful as you're looking to see. :)

Thank you for clarifying! This is actually a better setup for my typo-prone self. 👍

I'm aware of your link to the release notes in your above posting, and I do now see the Help link at the very bottom of the page, but unless we happen to click that link how will we know that you've made & announced a new release or other changes to the site? The content within that Help link doesn't show up in our New Messages when new release notes are added, does it? How will we know when you've added to the release notes? Do we have to intentionally click Help—>Release Notes in order to see if you've made any changes or updates?

I'm asking because in the few months since joining these forums you've posted about a dozen new release notes and I've been completely unaware of any of them, that is until you replied to this thread and told us about these new edit changes. It seems that your release notes don't filter into the New Messages function (the New icon on the top of the page) and are separate of the forums altogether. And as a frequent participator I use that New Messages function to see...well...what's new on the site. 😁

Am I making any sense, or am I missing something obvious?

It's awesome that you're constantly making the site better all the time.
Thank you! 👍
We update the site Every Tuesday, which is when we take it down for routine maintenance. Some of these solutions may not affect y'all, but if you ever see something new, or off, or different, I'd check there first. :)
We don't put them in the "New" section since they're brief announcements that aren't open for comments, though we can certainly work on our announcement set up so they display more prominently if ya want.

-Gerrit

1 - 20 of 27 Posts