Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Soul EX. Sparkling Silver. Black/Gray interior.
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my '21 EX in for the first service last week with 3,800 miles. When I checked in at the dealership, the service advisor said I had an open recall they'd take care of while I was there. Since reading all of the comments and issues with the transmission, I asked if it was a flash for it, but he said it was an ECM flash. The UVO app did not show I had any open service work, nor did the KIA website. Just curious if anyone else has had this. I attached a copy of my service ticket listing the information.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Electric thermostat logic. Service action is not a recall, a recall is called a service campaign. It is a software update that improves logic, you will receive any service action free of charge during your original warranty any time you bring it to your dealer. Essentially every time you bring it in they will check if there are any updates for your car. Recalls you would be notified to bring your car in.

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
159 Posts
Electric thermostat logic. Service action is not a recall, a recall is called a service campaign. It is a software update that improves logic, you will receive any service action free of charge during your original warranty any time you bring it to your dealer. Essentially every time you bring it in they will check if there are any updates for your car. Recalls you would be notified to bring your car in.
Does this improve the heater?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Not sure that it does. Originally I thought it would address that issue but reading through it basically avoids throwing codes for thermostat monitoring or module memory codes. Not sure what other improvements besides what is stated in the SA come with it.

·
Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
189 Posts
I thought I had read somewhere on this forum was that it is supposed to improve how slowly the engine heats up on a cold start.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
??? How can an ECC control how fast an engine heats up? Doesn't that more depend on how much fuel is burned in a certain amount of time?

For instance, if I start up my engine and let it idle, it will warm up slowly. But if I start my engine and immediately drive off at high speed, the engine will warm up more quickly. I've done both, so I do speak from some experience.

Bart, does the KIA Soul not have a mechanical thermostat like other cars?

:cool:

·
Registered
993 Posts
It's an electric thermostat and it bypasses some coolant, the ECU controls how much passes through it. There's a bleeding procedure we perform during filling by putting it in fill mode and there's also an excess discharge procedure (both done electronically). Other new Kias don't have a thermostat, they have 3 seperate rotary valves that direct coolant to the parts of the engine they want to for faster warm ups and to the liquid cooled exhaust manifold at the turbo for highway cruising.
Definitely a little different than back in the day of just a spring thermostat.

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
159 Posts
I brought my 2020 Ex in to my dealership for it's last free oil change. They also did a recall /campaign.
SA463 DTC P0605 P2181 on ECM LOGIC. I didn't notice any change.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's an electric thermostat and it bypasses some coolant, the ECU controls how much passes through it. There's a bleeding procedure we perform during filling by putting it in fill mode and there's also an excess discharge procedure (both done electronically). Other new Kias don't have a thermostat, they have 3 seperate rotary valves that direct coolant to the parts of the engine they want to for faster warm ups and to the liquid cooled exhaust manifold at the turbo for highway cruising.
Definitely a little different than back in the day of just a spring thermostat.
Want to ask you, I always check my fluids when the engine is cold, in the mornings. I've notice on my 2020 Soul Lx the overflow container is right on where the full mark should be. Though I open my radiator cap and it's like 1 to 2 ounces low. I'll top it off, then next month I notice it's again 1 to 2 ounces low. Have you notice this in your car?

·
Registered
993 Posts
[QUOTE="billybob71, post: 1310798, member :. Though I open my radiator cap and it's like 1 to 2 ounces low. I'll top it off, then next month I notice it's again 1 to 2 ounces low. Have you notice this in your car?
[/QUOTE]
Mine is a 2016 GDI 2.0 so not same car as your gen3 MPI 2.0. I would not take radiator cap off. Just watch the overflow tank. That's why it's often called an expansion tank. As things heat and cool there will often be a slight level difference. Eventually some coolant evaporates, it's a very small amount. If you are in the normal range in the plastic tank I would see no concern. It will be a little higher or lower at times but if it stays in the range I would not be concerned at all. I can tell you that when servicing these on a daily basis and that means all the years and models of Kia that come in even 10 year old ones we go through maybe 1-2 gallons of coolant per week (across the 100 cars that come in for an oil change) topping them off as needed during maintenance services. We do not add if it is above the low line on the expansion tank as that is a normal level and by filling it to the top mark can cause it to overflow given the right conditions of heat and expansion.

·
Registered
120 Posts
[QUOTE="billybob71, post: 1310798, member :. Though I open my radiator cap and it's like 1 to 2 ounces low. I'll top it off, then next month I notice it's again 1 to 2 ounces low. Have you notice this in your car?
Mine is a 2016 GDI 2.0 so not same car as your gen3 MPI 2.0. I would not take radiator cap off. Just watch the overflow tank. That's why it's often called an expansion tank. As things heat and cool there will often be a slight level difference. Eventually some coolant evaporates, it's a very small amount. If you are in the normal range in the plastic tank I would see no concern. It will be a little higher or lower at times but if it stays in the range I would not be concerned at all. I can tell you that when servicing these on a daily basis and that means all the years and models of Kia that come in even 10 year old ones we go through maybe 1-2 gallons of coolant per week (across the 100 cars that come in for an oil change) topping them off as needed during maintenance services. We do not add if it is above the low line on the expansion tank as that is a normal level and by filling it to the top mark can cause it to overflow given the right conditions of heat and expansion.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the reply, had an old Toyota Tacoma with head gasket problems. The expansion tank would rise when hot, cold it would fall. Though when the head gasket went bad it would draw air into the system when cooled. Over time every 6 months I'd open the radiator cap and add a couple of ounces. It got to the point where it started showing a oil film, and was using even more coolant. It was too expensive (labor intense) to repair it, so I sold it as a mechanic special. I've purchased this used with 8300 miles on it, not sure of the history and the dealership has no information on it other than maintained. Now I do see on this Soul when I open the radiator cap when cold, air in the system which it shouldn't be. Guess I'll let it ride for now.

·
Registered
2021 Soul EX. Sparkling Silver. Black/Gray interior.
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Perhaps it's a coincidence, and no need for someone to explain to me the campaign had nothing to do with the transmission - I have an adult reading level and comprehension. What I will say is since I had my first oil change and the campaign performed for the thermostat, my transmission shifts differently. I drive the car daily and know how it performs. Prior to taking it to the dealership I never enjoyed driving it in "sport" mode. I loved how the steering tightened and the "shifts" (yes I know they're simulated) were set to a higher rev, but when approaching a stop it would always downshift around the 4th - 3rd - 2nd gear position (again I know they're simulated shifts). It felt as though driving a manual transmission and shifting from. 4th to 3th, then to 2nd to slow down rather than using the brakes. I disliked it so much I would only driving it in Sport mode in the manual "shift" mode. Since getting the first oil change and the thermostat update I can drive it in Sport in automatic shifting mode without the high revs when slowing down. I've also noticed my fuel mileage has increased by 2 mpg. I currently have 4,100 miles on it and it's performing in sport mode as I expected it to all along.

Maybe I got a software update on the transmission as well and the dealership didn't list it on the invoice, or maybe there's more to the update than just a thermostat setting.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I just called my KIA Svc Dept and scheduled my next oil change for next week. My Svc writer said that I'm due for another software update. I've had the IVT update, so this one will probably be the one for the thermostat.
I'm looking forward to the whole experience.
Cheers Mates!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just called my KIA Svc Dept and scheduled my next oil change for next week. My Svc writer said that I'm due for another software update. I've had the IVT update, so this one will probably be the one for the thermostat.
I'm looking forward to the whole experience.
Cheers Mates!
FLH :cool:
Curious what's the cost for oil change (type oil) & tire rotation?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Is there a site for ECU updates, how do I find them? I had the IVT software update done only because of the people here, I received no notice from Kia.

2020 EX

1 - 20 of 36 Posts