286 Posts
Is everybody missing the word
EXCEDING
And the words
MORE THAN
Now,
I am bit older but by my calculations
15% ethanol is 15%
Which is not MORE THAN or EXECEDING 15%.

Furthermore,
Is there some magical switch in the fuel system that is good with 14%,
But self-destructs at 16%.

I get that 85% is too much ethanol,
There is a significant difference between 15% and 85%
And the documentation presented via the owners manual uses the specific language
NOT MORE THAN and EXECEDE.
Therefore
15% is ok per the owners manual.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,984 Posts
Is everybody missing the word
EXCEDING
And the words
MORE THAN
Now,
I am bit older but by my calculations
15% ethanol is 15%
Which is not MORE THAN or EXECEDING 15%.

Furthermore,
Is there some magical switch in the fuel system that is good with 14%,
But self-destructs at 16%.

I get that 85% is too much ethanol,
There is a significant difference between 15% and 85%
And the documentation presented via the owners manual uses the specific language
NOT MORE THAN and EXECEDE.
Therefore
15% is ok per the owners manual.
We get that Kaptain, it's just some Owners Manuals, like mine, say "not to exceed 10%."

It's just words, but the fear is in a warranty situation, could it be used to deny a claim.

Reactions: rhysoul

·
Registered
44 Posts
E15, often sold at the pump as Unleaded 88, for its octane rating, can safely be used in all cars, trucks and SUVs from 2001 on. Those model years represent more than 90% of vehicles on U.S. roads. The ethanol industry says the fuel is one of the most tested in history and has no effect on vehicle drivability. Apr 12, 2022
Of course everything the government says is binding on the manufacturer when you go for a warranty claim and they deny it, right? ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Personally I avoid E15 because it hurts mpg and independent testing showed it can harm emissions equipment despite what the EPA claims. In fact, one of the reasons why it is not sold during the summer is because of pollution concerns.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
370 Posts
The biggest "thing" about E15 is that it can damage hoses in the fuel system - hence the wording about "damage". Side effect of said damage? Fuel spraying in places it shouldn't, hence the extra caution on outdoors equipment that may start a wildfire or get on your clothes and catch you on fire.

2001 cars and earlier have more rubber hoses in their systems, hence more likely to be rotted by E15 - same for outdoor power equipment.

·
Registered
2020 Soul EX - Undercover Green
12 Posts
I can’t say for Gen 2, but Kia says for my Gen 3 it will void the warranty. I assume they wouldn’t want you to use it in a Gen 2 also.
In the 2020 User Manual 1-2 Fuel Requirements : "
Pursuant to EPA regulations, etha-
nol may be used in your vehicle.
Do not use gasohol containing more
than 15% ethanol
, and do not use
gasoline or gasohol containing any
methanol. Ethanol provides less
energy than gasoline and it attracts
water, and it is thus likely to reduce
your fuel efficiency and could lower
your MPG results. "

E-88 is "equal to" and not "more than". E-88 is safe for Gen 3. (at least 2020)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2011 Kia soul and I have been using E 15 gas for years from my local Sheetz station, and have never had any problems. The reason why the manuals from older Kia‘s say not to use more than 10% ethanol is because back before 2015 there was no E 15 gas there was just E10. Why would the Kia manufacturer waste their time to update manuals that are 10 years old for no purpose! E 15 is safe to use in all cars built after 2001 just like the label on the pump says! Period!

·
Registered
2020 Soul EX - Undercover Green
12 Posts
I have a 2011 Kia soul and I have been using E 15 gas for years from my local Sheetz station, and have never had any problems. The reason why the manuals from older Kia‘s say not to use more than 10% ethanol is because back before 2015 there was no E 15 gas there was just E10. Why would the Kia manufacturer waste their time to update manuals that are 10 years old for no purpose! E 15 is safe to use in all cars built after 2001 just like the label on the pump says! Period!
"because back before 2015 there was no E 15 gas there was just E10"
Great point!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts