Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,998 Posts
Am I correct in believing E15 is NOT recommended for my 2016 1.6L Soul?
My 2014 manuals says "Kia recommends that customers do not use fuel with an ethanol content exceeding 10 percent." So it's a no on 15% (E15). However it doesn't say it voids the warranty.

The President is going to extend E15 sales into summer now.

In an exception to the Clean Air Act, Biden will allow E15 gas to be sold this summer

And an interesting forum discussion on fuel. ⛽

Non Ethonal fuel experiment

• Wow
Reactions: celronart

· Registered
2016 White Kia Soul 5sp Manuel....
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 2014 manuals says "Kia recommends that customers do not use fuel with an ethanol content exceeding 10 percent." So it's a no on 15% (E15). However it doesn't say it voids the warranty.

The President is going to extend E15 sales into summer now.

In an exception to the Clean Air Act, Biden will allow E15 gas to be sold this summer

And an interesting forum discussion on fuel. ⛽

Non Ethonal fuel experiment
Thanks. With E15 probably showing up soon I figured I’d ask people n the know...

· Registered
8,998 Posts
Thanks. With E15 probably showing up soon I figured I’d ask people n the know...
Kia says E15 provides less power and attracts water in the fuel line. While not going so far as to say it damages the engine, it could adversely affect mileage.

I wonder if Kia will issue a comment on the new E15 directive?

· Registered
1,938 Posts
I wonder if Kia will issue a comment on the new E15 directive?
It will be interesting what Kia has to say about this, because this is what’s written in the manual.

“Kia recommends that customers do not use fuel with an ethanol content exceeding 10 percent.”
Font Material property Publication Terrestrial plant Paper

Font Material property Terrestrial plant Document Soil

· Registered
8,998 Posts
It will be interesting what Kia has to say about this, because this is what’s written in the manual.

“Kia recommends that customers do not use fuel with an ethanol content exceeding 10 percent.”
View attachment 139149
View attachment 139151
Biden was saying the E15 might be at least 10 cents a gallon cheaper. With gas at $5+, that hardly seems like "real" savings to drivers. Especially when their mileage will go down due to a fuel with less energy (per Kia) & possible water issues.

I wonder if E10 will be available still as an option?

· Registered
8,998 Posts
This sounds like a cluster in the making

Reactions: rhysoul

· Registered
1,938 Posts
This sounds like a cluster in the making
I haven’t seen any E15/88 octane in my area yet, so unless they change something, maybe it won’t come to my region. Seems like it could cause issues to some cars, and the “ok for 2001 or newer” is misleading since Kia owners manual (and I’m sure other manufacturers) don’t recommend it.

Doesn’t seem like it’s worth a measly 10 cent or so savings if it could cause damage to my car.

And I wonder why you can’t use it in outdoor power equipment?

Reactions: GeoSoul

· Registered
8,998 Posts
I haven’t seen any E15/88 octane in my area yet, so unless they change something, maybe it won’t come to my region. Seems like it could cause issues to some cars, and the “ok for 2001 or newer” is misleading since Kia owners manual (and I’m sure other manufacturers) don’t recommend it.

Doesn’t seem like it’s worth a measly 10 cent or so savings if it could cause damage to my car.

And I wonder why you can’t use it in outdoor power equipment?
I just hope they make it clear what we're buying. 😃
Cylinder Gas Home appliance Machine Tableware

· Registered
8,998 Posts
From Shell US:
Wood Font Flooring Landscape Grass

· Registered
1,098 Posts
From Shell US:
View attachment 139153

Is Shell E15 Regular 88 right for your vehicle?

Shell recommends you consult your vehicles owner’s manual or engine/equipment manufacturers fuel recommendations prior to using to ensure your vehicle was designed for E15 gasoline.

Per the EPA, E15 is not approved fuel for vehicles model year 2000 and older, motorcycles, nonroad vehicles (like snowmobiles and boats), vehicles with heavy-duty engines (such as buses and delivery trucks), or engines in off-road equipment (like lawnmowers and chainsaws).

Reactions: GeoSoul

· Registered
125 Posts
So we save a whopping 1 dollar at the pump and risk screwing up our cars.

Do they really think that's going to help anyone?

My local stations have ethanol free which is an extra dollar a gallon so then I'll have to spend more doing a gas mix at the pump

· Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,712 Posts
So.

How many of you are willing to take risks with your Soul so the Biden Democrats will not get slaughtered quite so badly in the November mid-terms?
This idiotic idea will backfire when lots of uninformed people start having engine trouble thanks to a harebrained idea put forth by Dementia Xoe. Great idea. You get nothing for something.

· Registered
8,998 Posts
This idiotic idea will backfire when lots of uninformed people start having engine trouble thanks to a harebrained idea put forth by Dementia Xoe. Great idea. You get nothing for something.
It's another example of the disconnect between those who make public policy and actual, real world facts.

It gets some headlines and will be a bullet point in the next campaign brochure under "Look What I Did!"

· Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
855 Posts
This is NOT a political issue, so don't make it one. By "uninformed", I'm guessing you mean the ones who are too lazy to look in/read the owner's manual or do any research on their own.

· Registered
8,998 Posts
Thanks for posting your 2018 info Darkfox.

It's noted Kia says "pursuant to EPA regulations." My 2014 manual says that too. Since the "EPA Regulations" have changed, I'm wondering if the older models, like my 2014 where the manual says not to use greater than E10, can now safely run E15? It would be nice if KIA put out a public statement on the matter. After all, the EPA didn't build my Soul, Kia did.

E15, often sold at the pump as Unleaded 88, for its octane rating, can safely be used in all cars, trucks and SUVs from 2001 on. Those model years represent more than 90% of vehicles on U.S. roads. The ethanol industry says the fuel is one of the most tested in history and has no effect on vehicle drivability. Apr 12, 2022

1 - 20 of 30 Posts