Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I don't post much here, but thought you may like to know some actual performance numbers of the 2.0L AM1. This was originally posted at soulhamsters.com on Sunday, 11 August 2013.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Hamsters, Just got home a bit ago from a Dyno day at the local speed shop.

They were doing a special event for their Open House, and the proceeds went to the Make-A-Wish program.

$25.00 for a 2 pull Dyno run, free hot dogs, burgers, & soda; can't beat that price!

I was the last one to run, and there were plenty of laughs and jokes to be had for sure, but nonetheless, Otis ran like a top, and actually impressed a few of the gearheads. I even 'repped the site by sporting my Soulhamsters.com 2nd Anniversary shirt. lol

It was a humid'ish 84 degrees, and Otis managed to pull 140HP and 141 ft/lbs torque at the wheels!

The 2 best comments I heard during and after the pulls, were that Otis SOUNDED awesome (and I'd agree!), and the second was from the shop owner, who was impressed at how close the curves were, and that he only thought it'd pull near 125 or so.

So figuring that the engine is rated at 142 HP, at the flywheel, I am pretty impressed with what the added bolt-ons of the Header, Axle-back exhaust, Takeda CAI, and PRD wires actually do. Basically, all the HP I've added, eats up the 15-20% loss that you get as the power goes through the drivetrain.

Figure in that 15-20% to the at-the-wheels 140HP, and it's a decent 161-168HP at the flywheel. I am more than pleased.

Also to note, was that Otis did not pull the least amount of HP for the day, either. I actually beat out a 1994 Dodge Dakota pickup, which only managed 105HP! lol

The "beast" of the day was a Mustang Cobra that put down 949HP!!! It was a monster!!!

Here's the printout from the Dyno:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Impressive :) Now imagine 210HP lol it would be a flying balloon !

I wish there was some Soul community here, but there are non :/

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,173 Posts
Nice numbers Puck! Great pics also! :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After getting it on the Dyno, I have a renewed spirit and am now seriously considering the Jattus Turbo setup. It's a big chunk of change, but man o man, do I want it. I am also considering a 50-75 shot of Nitrous. We'll see.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Performance for what it is. There is performance in a "soap box derby" for what it is and you strive to make it better. The original poster had done some mods on his car and wanted to see his improvement or overall results. Performance is not just measured in the biggest and strongest, you compete with others with the same base. I like to know how my computer is performing. Thanks for posting your dyno results and do a follow up if you do more mods.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I've been in the computer business for over 30 years now. Too bad we don't have a Dyno for Computers.
Benchmarking, yes, but not really a Dyno. I'd love to be able to Dyno-Test my PC.

As for my Soul, spending money on a Dyno test would be a real waste of good Pizza money.
It gets me into traffic on I-75 at 80mph and that's good enough for me. I'm just guessing it's better than most of the Base 1.6L's on the road. I've tweaked it a little, without making any warranty killing hardware changes.

Nice thread

:cool:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I think it would be fun to just stop by for the 'Event' and leave my car in the parking lot.
Donate to charity if you like.

I always enjoy seeing the big Bikes on the Dyno at Bike Week. :)

:cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts