Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving my Optima yesterday, and I kept hearing this "quacking" noise. In all my experience with cars I had never heard anything like this coming from a car before. I drove it for about 20 miles, wondering if maybe it was the tires, or maybe some kind of rubber rubbing against something, but there was no consistency to the noise. So, curiosity got the best of me, and I pulled over. Still quacking. So, it wasn't the tires. I popped the hood, and when I opened it, I very quickly discovered the problem. I met a duck, in my face, trying desperately to escape. After it flew away, I was in complete shock. It looked like it had nestled right in between the air-box and the battery. I still have no idea how it got in there. Must have been looking for some warmth, poor thing. So, just a warning, if anyone hears a duck noise coming from their engine bay - stop the car and release the duck.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I bet you it was looking for a place to hide from the Fowl Weather...LOL

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol, but I really did feel bad I didn't stop sooner. I'm just glad it didn't die!

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Seriously though Greg, you did the right thing. I wonder how the heck it got under the hood. Ducks aren't that small. Do you know what type of duck it was? A Mallard?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was a mallard - the predominant species in Michigan. Weird thing is that normally they are all migrated south this time of year. It must have lagged behind and gotten cold. I had run the car earlier in the day, so it was warm. It must have gotten up behind the engine, and squeezed between the air box and the battery, which is where I assumed it was, it's where I found a couple of feathers.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the pic I just have circled where I suspect the duck was. There wasn't really anything to look at. I found 5 feathers on top of the transmission, and just threw those out. I think what it did was crawled on top of the transmission (which would have been warm), and then nestled there. When the engine started, it instinctively tried to go up? I can't figure out why it wouldn't have tried leaving the way it came in - other than it would have been killed. This is so weird.

·
Registered
690 Posts
squirrels and mice nesting inside the engine bay is common but how in the world did a duck got inside such a small space. drove little more you would of had roasted duck ...

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
ahhh what a cute story. One for the grandkids!
I guess when you opened the hood it decided to flock off (sorry had to you missed that one)

·
Registered
76 Posts
squirrels and mice nesting inside the engine bay is common but how in the world did a duck got inside such a small space. drove little more you would of had roasted duck ...
I once had a kitten take a nap under my hood. I could hear it meowing while driving down the road. I found it lying in a similar position the duck was found....safe and sound.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If it was a sould I would say you got an engine upgrade from a hamster to a duck. Bigger feet = more torque. I found a kitten, a very young kitten in the rear spring of my Corolla a few years ago but he was unharmed except for some missing fur. Nursed him back and my mom adopted him, still going strong.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts