Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Exclaim with just over 11,000 miles on it. During the past year I drove even less than normal. Had a leaking tire with a bubble and hubby took it to Discount Tire last winter to replace it. I noticed right away that I now had a crunching sound when braking and thought it had to do with the new tire and that it would go away. We had a big COVID wave and no way was I going to a dealer.

Recently, it got worse. Loud crunching with any braking. Today I called the new dealer, closer to me and told him the above. He said it was rust on my drums from lack of use. He said the solution was to drive around for a while and let the brakes get good and hot, then when alone on the road, slam on brakes to knock off the rust. To this several times, and it would clear the rust away and I would be fine. Did so. Drove for about an hour and did the slam on brakes from 45 mph about a dozen times, or more. It still sounds loud and crunchy and after the last few slams, even had some oscillating sounds when I stared moving again. They went away around 40 mph.

Service guy said they have to do this to cars sitting on lot before they are test driven, that they see rust on pavement below Kias after lots of rain. Is this guy crazy? What should I do?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some rust is normal. Crunchy noise is not. Maybe the brakes need to be looked at and serviced.
Yes, I think so, too. When I read other posts here on rust on brakes, they said the rust should only be on the edges. The service guy I talked with said it was on the rotors because they were heavy steel. I just drove 2 miles and back home and the oscillating noise seems to come from the front, and is speed dependent.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Usually preceded with a loud PONG noise once the car starts moving. My '18 does this after every rain, or after been sitting for a few days from moisture. Perfectly normal, goes away after the first few brakings of the day.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul +
19 Posts
I have a 2016 Exclaim with just over 11,000 miles on it. During the past year I drove even less than normal. Had a leaking tire with a bubble and hubby took it to Discount Tire last winter to replace it. I noticed right away that I now had a crunching sound when braking and thought it had to do with the new tire and that it would go away. We had a big COVID wave and no way was I going to a dealer.

Recently, it got worse. Loud crunching with any braking. Today I called the new dealer, closer to me and told him the above. He said it was rust on my drums from lack of use. He said the solution was to drive around for a while and let the brakes get good and hot, then when alone on the road, slam on brakes to knock off the rust. To this several times, and it would clear the rust away and I would be fine. Did so. Drove for about an hour and did the slam on brakes from 45 mph about a dozen times, or more. It still sounds loud and crunchy and after the last few slams, even had some oscillating sounds when I stared moving again. They went away around 40 mph.

Service guy said they have to do this to cars sitting on lot before they are test driven, that they see rust on pavement below Kias after lots of rain. Is this guy crazy? What should I do?
Your Soul doesn't have drums or drum brakes. It has 4 wheel disc brakes but rust can accumulate on the rotors if you live in a rainy climate and don't drive very often. You shouldn't need new brake pads but the rotors may be destroyed.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Your Soul doesn't have drums or drum brakes. It has 4 wheel disc brakes but rust can accumulate on the rotors if you live in a rainy climate and don't drive very often. but the rotors may be destroyed.
A little rust buildup on the rotors, should not mean they are destroyed. You seem to have another issue?:unsure:

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul ! 2.0gdi
133 Posts
Can you post a picture or two of the front rotors? Maybe between the spokes of your wheels.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought he said drums, which I have not had on my last few cars and thought were out of fashion, but he must have said rotors and my brain translated it wrong. I had called for a service appointment, but was told the above by the service tech. He did not ask me anything and knew only what I wrote in my original post. Did not ask the volume or duration, but said mine were probably very rusty from disuse.

I will call back in the morning for an appointment. I am disabled and won’t be taking anything apart. Hubby is a musician by education and computer analyst by trade and mowed his first lawn at 40. No mechanical help there. At least he will pick me up after I drop off my car!

Thanks for all the ideas. You have confirmed for me that this service guy’s idea was not the right tree to be barking up. Now I am wary of taking the car there, but the other dealer is 10 miles further each way. Hubby can’t be away from his desk that long.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The parking brake is a drum brake. It could be all rusted out.

I have a 2011 and had my parking drum brake literally rotted away after 5-6 years in a snowy climate. I heard metal noises in the wheel and got home to find a scorching hot wheel.
Took it apart and found it just rust rotted.

I just recently had a rear caliper seize up. Had to replace the rotors and the drum parking brake hardware was all rusted to hell again so I just replaced everything in the rear.

If your drum breaks are rusted out all that rust crap is just gonna stay inside the rotor which maybe what you hear crunching.

I've never heard of rusty rotors causing crunching. Usually they squeek until the rust gets rubbed off..
It's gotta be something more.

Take the wheels off if possible, feel if feels smooth on both sides or if it's grooved and coarse feeling on the inside

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I talked again to Scott at the Kia service center. He says that since doing what he suggested made it worse, I will probably need a whole brake job. He says they have seen this a lot in cars that sat for the pandemic. He had to replace all of his brakes and saw it coming because he was watching them rust there in the driveway as he sat on his deck, not working, during the pandemic.
I have a service appointment for next Wednesday.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul +
19 Posts
The parking brake is a drum brake. It could be all rusted out.

I have a 2011 and had my parking drum brake literally rotted away after 5-6 years in a snowy climate. I heard metal noises in the wheel and got home to find a scorching hot wheel.
Took it apart and found it just rust rotted.

I just recently had a rear caliper seize up. Had to replace the rotors and the drum parking brake hardware was all rusted to hell again so I just replaced everything in the rear.

If your drum breaks are rusted out all that rust crap is just gonna stay inside the rotor which maybe what you hear crunching.

I've never heard of rusty rotors causing crunching. Usually they squeek until the rust gets rubbed off..
It's gotta be something more.

Take the wheels off if possible, feel if feels smooth on both sides or if it's grooved and coarse feeling on the inside
You are correct. First gen Souls have a drum parking brake but the OP has a 2016 (2nd gen) and it 100% disc brakes.

First gen drum parking brake

Second gen rear brakes. See how rusty it is

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
242 Posts
...He says ... I will probably need a whole brake job. ...
That sounds convenient - without even looking at the car has already deduced "probably need a whole brake job".

...He had to replace all of his brakes and saw it coming because he was watching them rust there in the driveway as he sat on his deck, not working, during the pandemic...
So why didn't he follow his own advice and drive his vehicle around some doing some hard braking? As opposed to "watching" his brakes rust knowing full well the result would be having to replace them all.

I suggest taking it to a brake shop for a second opinion and estimate.

·
Registered
207 Posts
No, it is not, unfortunately Brakes are considered a wear item
You are correct. First gen Souls have a drum parking brake but the OP has a 2016 (2nd gen) and it 100% disc brakes.

First gen drum parking brake
View attachment 137187

Second gen rear brakes. See how rusty it is
View attachment 137189
That rotor doesn't look too bad. The drum shoes, well... Not goin there. Never been a big fan of drum brakes. For rotors, it's when you get trolley tracks in them, then time to worry.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Use to just have the Rotors turned to resurface and true up the rotation. It seems the newer Rotors are not good enough for that procedure.:unsure: I had success (Ford) with surface sanding the Rotors with a disc sander on a power drill. It took care of the irregular grabbing of the brakes! (y)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
It seems the newer Rotors are not good enough for that procedure
Most motorcycle rotors are too thin to be turned on a lathe.
Or so I hear. Maybe newer cars are the same.

Should have taken pics of those very rusty old train wheels at the railroad museum in Tehachapi the other day.
Not really related though. Nevermind. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts