Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swung by my dealership tonight to take a peek at the '18 SX Tech Turbo, but they didn't actually have it on the lot.
Was talking with my salesman from when i bought my '16, and was talking about the possibility of re-upping into an '18 Turbo model.

Looks at me and says, you wanna go spin the wheels on a turbo?
Of course I said yes.

Long story short, I'm going back on Saturday to see where the numbers end up on an '18 SX Tech with the 1.6T

Trade in will hurt as it always does, but I'm curious to see just where the numbers will land.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Give it a real Gearhead road test. That would include acceleration (of course) but also try braking and quick steering, like you were avoiding a brick in the road.

When I did that last test in a 2018 Turbo Soul, the car wallowed dramatically from side to side. And I was only going about 35 mph, the speed limit on that road. Had I been doing 75 mph, the car may have flipped.
That car screams for an Anti-Sway system. It would not make a good Road Racer.

Good luck!
FL Hamster :cool:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive never driven the '16 hard enough to have any issues handling wise. Have they made changes to the suspension for the 18's?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I drove the 2014 Soul and I didn't like it. Then two years later I drove the 2016 Soul, and it didn't like it either. Now I've driven the 2018 Soul (Turbo) and the negatives outweighed the positives.

Kia had evidently concluded that all Soul drivers are looking for a quiet car that rides real soft and easy. And that is verified by who I see driving Souls on the roads of FL every day. The Soul driver, around here, is usually an older person, who drives very conservatively.

Personally, that's not what I wanted when I bought my 2013 Base/1.6L/AT. I wanted a great performer, that I can get on the Interstate quickly, and whip it through a tight corner without it rolling over. Of course Great MPG doesn't hurt either.

When I bought my Soul, all four tires were inflated to nearly 45 psi. Maybe that's why is performed so well during my test drive. It was good enough to scare the crap out of the poor little salesman who was riding with me. I dropped the psi in all four tires down to 42 psi, (nine psi above the manufacturer's suggested tire pressure, of 33 psi.) I've had occasion to drive my car at low tire pressure, and it's definitely NOT where I want to be, on the highway.

I might buy another Soul, some day, but not if it's like the three Gen-2's that I've already driven.
I'm sure they are all great cars, but not for me.

Cheers Mates!
FL Hamster :cool:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I think the soul is and remains a car that has to be driven within it's limits!
Given it's dimensions and running gear it is not a car to be pushed to the limit or beyond by the average grocery getting, buffet sitting, daily driver.
Keep it under the limit and it will reward you with pleasantries and reliable transportation for years to come.
Push it too hard and you may find yourself swapping ends or involved in unplanned off-road excursions.
I'm sure someone, somewhere is auto-crossing this thing as we speak and I type but that's certainly not the norm.
This is 1 reason why I'm somewhat against the turbo version.
Coming from a sport-bike background, my need for speed has always been satiated.
I view the turbo soul as cautiously as I did my ZX-11's.
While the motor might amaze and delight you all day long...the brakes and suspension could easily be overwhelmed by the endless power the motor would/could/did supply.
Now bikes (and cars) have come far since the ZX11's were produced but the mindset, for me at least, is the same.
Keep it real and withing the limits and enjoy what it has to offer.
Push it too hard and you may be enjoying that view from the flatbed or worse...the ambulance.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,396 Posts
Yeah, unlike the Civic turbo, the Soul did not up the brakes or Flintstone style torsion beam to compliment the increased horsepower.

Like the commercial shows, the baby is a hot mess, all over the place when pushed beyond it's limits. They need to take the diaper off the Turbo Soul & give it some proper running gear. Then we'd be cooking with gas :eek:nthego:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
If your driving life consists of flat smooth straight lines then handling may never be an issue.
If you live in a world of bumpy roads with sweeping lines then it's easy to depreciate and overwhelmed chassis by underwhelming running gear.
I guess it really depends on where you live and how you drive to make an intelligent choice here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well im happy with the handling performance for my driving style in the '16
Few extra ponies shouldn't change that all too much. The 17 i drove felt very similar to my old '16.

Delivery is Tuesday or Wednesday (long weekend might delay us a day) :triumphant:

For now they put me in a loaner '17 EX+

·
Registered
830 Posts
I drive my '15 Exclaim between Grand Rapids, MI and Palm Springs, CA each year. Most routes I take involve both freeway and highway driving. You guys can complain about the handling all you want, but I would love the extra ponies provided by the turbo for highway passing at speed. When on a winding highway road, I want to get around the slowpoke in front of me fast. Cornering or not, I'll take the extra power and it might be enough to get me to trade up. Just wish the turbo had ventilated seats.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah the omission of the cooled seats in the top of the top trims struck me a little odd, gladly would have given up on the heated rear seats to get the fronts cooled.
But I haven't had them before, so i'm sure ill get by.

·
Registered
830 Posts
If I lived in my house in Michigan all year long, I'd get by without them as well, but we also on a home in Palm Springs, CA, and it gets very hot there!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts