Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to install the SSD light bar on my 19 Soul+, yes I know it requires cutting the grille but I'm not going to let that stop me on this vehicle.

This brings me to lights:

I just ordered a pair of Hella 700FF lights (kit with covers).

I also have a set of FF40 (tiny little lights) sitting here doing nothing.

What I think I'm going to do is put all four on, the 7 inch 700FF on the top of the bar at the ends (license plate in stock location), and the FF40 under the bar attached to a spacer to make them fit. I may want to run both at the same time (an extra 220 watts or 18 amps), will the alternator support this? I do not have heated seats, power seats, or heated steering wheel. Not sure if they put a smaller alternator in the car when you don't have these options. Does anyone know if I'll be OK with this much extra draw? I have a Littlefuse waterproof load center that I'll install to handle fuses and relays, now I wish I had bought the power bused version.

What I'm thinking is that the FF40 will be my every day, run with high beams lights. When I want real power I'll switch on the 700FF or both, good for back country roads at night.

Or I might just go with only the 700FF, haven't really finalized things yet and probably won't until I get the bar mounted in a week or two.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Worked on the light bar tonight, going OK except for the mounts. Due to changes with the 2019 I needed to drill new holes in the mounting bars, about 7/8 inch lower center to center. I'll get some pictures after it is done.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally finished getting the bar installed... I do not recommend this for a 2019 unless you are prepared for a bunch of modifications. The bumper must stick out farther than previous models so once you do get the bar mounted, pretty much no lights can be fit because they hit the bumper. Going to look and see if I can get a threaded standoff that's about an inch high to push the bar out an extra inch.

If there is a standoff, then you would not need to cut as much of the bumper as I cut out, which kind of sucks now that I've hacked two large holes in it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ouch. Pics? Maybe you can find a replacement bumper cover in a junkyard?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a few pictures, but none showing how the lights don't fit. Even the little FF40 barely fit. I've been thinking about how I want to make some spacers for the bar, would be easier if my welder wasn't broken, but I'll figure it out eventually.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, got the lights mounted. Not exactly the way I wanted things to work out, but it works. On to the wiring, but first a few pictures.

1228181750.jpg
1228182109.jpg

After setting the bumper cover back in place, it was clear that I needed to drill new holes in the supports.

1228182206.jpg

Then put the cover in place and started cutting.

1229181814.jpg
1229181814a.jpg

And bolted it in place, then found out that the lights hit the bumper.

1229181816.jpg

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Two days later and a trip to buy some other stuff. Longer bolts (2.5 inches), a bunch of washers (normal and locking), and some big honking 1 inch nuts for a spacer. Need to pull it apart and spray some paint on everything, probably when I'm running the wires. The electrical will need to wait for a few more days.

1231181550.jpg
1231181550a.jpg
1231181618.jpg
1231181618a.jpg

You can see how little room there is behind the 700FF lights now that I put in that spacer.

1231181721.jpg
1231181725a.jpg

Put a bunch of hot glue on the end of the wires for now and cable tied them to the grille for safe keeping.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Oh wow, that is a decent bit of cutting- but not too bad really. You could go 90s style and dump all the plastic mesh on the bumper for steel chicken wire fencing. :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With what I had to do to space it out, you'd need very little cutting. Just need a hole big enough to clear that 1 inch nut, probably just the web between upper and lower hexes.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Man that looks great!
Really came out nice!

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
good view of the large windshield washer container :joyous:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I should mention that while the lights are not removed, I did unbolt them and pull them up out of the way. You can maybe remove the cover without pulling the lights, but maybe not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm getting ready to install the SSD light bar on my 19 Soul+, yes I know it requires cutting the grille but I'm not going to let that stop me on this vehicle.

This brings me to lights:

Hi Greg_E

I want to buy the SSD Bar but they don't sell it anymore or I can't find it.

You will have the measurements of the bar, diameter, length, measurements of the metal plates to be able to manufacture the same as the brand.

I also want to put it on my soul '18

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK, got the lights mounted. Not exactly the way I wanted things to work out, but it works. On to the wiring, but first a few pictures.

View attachment 118643
View attachment 118645

After setting the bumper cover back in place, it was clear that I needed to drill new holes in the supports.

View attachment 118647

Then put the cover in place and started cutting.

View attachment 118649
View attachment 118651

And bolted it in place, then found out that the lights hit the bumper.

View attachment 118653
I'm in the exploratory stages of making this happen on my 2019 Kia Soul and am having no luck finding a good starting product to use.

What Rally Light Bar product did you use for the base of your project?

Thank you!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts