Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone else has had this problem. The service department at my dealership doesn't know what is causing this.

When I lock the car, then use the remote to unlock the driver's door (one click of the unlock button), the door sometimes will not open. It's unloacked, but the handle doesn't work.

If I unlock all the doors (two clicks), all the doors and hatch will open every time. However, sometimes the driver's door will not open. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

If I unlock the door(s) manually with the key, it opens every time. UNLESS...I've already unlocked it with the remote first. Then it does the sometimes it works, sometimes not thing.

It's very frustrating. I sometimes have to lock and unlock 5 times or more before the handle will open the door.

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing is, the door is unlocked. You can open it from the inside, but not the outside.

Hit lock and unlock long enough and it will eventually work.

Use the key, and you never have the problem at all.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,064 Posts
Strange problem.....your not the first that has had this complaint.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My 2010 soul is going to dealer on friday for this...same exact problem...and it was doing it today, so i took it to dealer and showed them...service guy noticed when it's not working, door handle feels like it has less resistance...when you pull normal working door handle(outside of car) 1/2 way up, you'll notice it feels like it is starting to engage something...when handle is not working, you won't get that feeling...it just lifts up, but does nothing. Probably a door lock actuator

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I'm thinking this is probably an issue with the "lift up" door handles on the older Souls as the new ones have the "pull out" kind. Seems to be a 2009-10 Soul issue. Perhaps if enough complaints are recorded, a recall will ensue?

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
My 2009 does exactly the same..... but only twice in 2 years..... and then only when it was very cold the first time and very wet the second time.... cant get it to do it for the dealer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Went to dealer today for same problem...the tech supposedly confirmed it was a bad door latch assembly, but if you look the part up online, it says 'door lock actuator'...part number is 81310-2K000 ...part will arrive in about 1 week...stay tuned.

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm thinking this is probably an issue with the "lift up" door handles on the older Souls as the new ones have the "pull out" kind. Seems to be a 2009-10 Soul issue. Perhaps if enough complaints are recorded, a recall will ensue?

I have an '11 with a pull out handle, not a '10 with the lift up kind.

Yes, M1...it's just like that for me too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just wanted to add that my 2010 Soul did the same thing last week. Cold and wet seems to be the cause. I took my car to the car wash, and then it got down to 15 degrees F that night. It stopped working until it warmed up to about 30 degrees F outside. It's been working since.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Took Soul into dealer yesterday to get new door latch assembly installed under warranty...luckily driver's door was malfunctioning at that time, so that's always good...just so the tech can be sure there is a problem. Anyway, they installed no problems, no charge, completely under warranty. Repair took them about 2 hours. When i looked the part up online, it appeared to be everything related to latch / lock, including outside door handle...but i still have my original door handle(i have chrome overlays)...so far all is well, and hopefully my door problems are gone.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Just curious if anyone else has had this problem. The service department at my dealership doesn't know what is causing this.

When I lock the car, then use the remote to unlock the driver's door (one click of the unlock button), the door sometimes will not open. It's unloacked, but the handle doesn't work.

If I unlock all the doors (two clicks), all the doors and hatch will open every time. However, sometimes the driver's door will not open. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

If I unlock the door(s) manually with the key, it opens every time. UNLESS...I've already unlocked it with the remote first. Then it does the sometimes it works, sometimes not thing.

It's very frustrating. I sometimes have to lock and unlock 5 times or more before the handle will open the door.
Reviving this thread - 2010 + passenger door handle does not work until the door is first opened from the inside. The interior lock switch moves back and forth as normal when using either the remote or the interior switch actuator, but...until the interior handle is used first, the exterior handle does nothing.
Greg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts