Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mother currently owns 2012 Soul. Wants some type of collision prevention system.

How reliable is the Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA) on the 2020 Soul?

·
Registered
434 Posts
It is not as strong as some other manufactures systems,but does jump in I think a little too agressively.

Far and away my least favorite feature on my car...

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,470 Posts
It is not as strong as some other manufactures systems,but does jump in I think a little too agressively.

Far and away my least favorite feature on my car...
It makes me wonder about insurance rates going up on vehicles with safety systems, like discussed in one of our threads.

In addition to the obvious expense to repair them, is it possible these systems can be the cause of accidents? I'm thinking through either malfunction or more likely, encouraging driver inattention.

We've all heard about the person sleeping or texting while their vehicle "drives itself" down the highway.

I'm curious if some of these horrendous & lesser accidents are factoring into insurance actuarial tables.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am happy with my FCA system. So far I have not had any unnecessary braking. My grand daughter was driving when someone pulled in ahead of her and put on his brakes. She was talking to someone in the back seat so the FCA braked before she hit the brake pedal. Probably saved her from having a minor accident (if that is possible anymore $$). I believe I adjusted it to medium sensitivity.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,470 Posts
I am happy with my FCA system. So far I have not had any unnecessary braking. My grand daughter was driving when someone pulled in ahead of her and put on his brakes. She was talking to someone in the back seat so the FCA braked before she hit the brake pedal. Probably saved her from having a minor accident (if that is possible anymore $$). I believe I adjusted it to medium sensitivity.
Glad she avoided a collision. Sounds like you need to have a chat with her about keeping her eyes on the road. I have a friend who is always looking over at passengers while she drives & yaks it up. Makes me very nervous. She has wrecked 4 of her last 4 cars thru inattentive driving.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the FCA system and it has caught me a few times when I was distracted. However, far more frequently I’ve had it kick in when it was NOT helpful (emergency lane changes, someone turning that is NOT in my way but the car thinks they are, etc) and its scared the crap out of me. I’ve left it on just in case, but...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Glad she avoided a collision. Sounds like you need to have a chat with her about keeping her eyes on the road. I have a friend who is always looking over at passengers while she drives & yaks it up. Makes me very nervous. She has wrecked 4 of her last 4 cars thru inattentive driving.
Makes me nuts when I see someone turning their head to speak to a passenger. Do they not realize you can talk and KEEP your eyes on the road?!?!?! Almost as bad as the person who always hold two fingers up to their head when they mention talking to someone on the phone...like you're too dumb to know what a phone is and how you hold it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts