Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mother currently owns 2012 Soul. Wants some type of collision prevention system.

How reliable is the Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA) on the 2020 Soul?

·
Registered
489 Posts
It is not as strong as some other manufactures systems,but does jump in I think a little too agressively.

Far and away my least favorite feature on my car...

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,902 Posts
It is not as strong as some other manufactures systems,but does jump in I think a little too agressively.

Far and away my least favorite feature on my car...
It makes me wonder about insurance rates going up on vehicles with safety systems, like discussed in one of our threads.

In addition to the obvious expense to repair them, is it possible these systems can be the cause of accidents? I'm thinking through either malfunction or more likely, encouraging driver inattention.

We've all heard about the person sleeping or texting while their vehicle "drives itself" down the highway.

I'm curious if some of these horrendous & lesser accidents are factoring into insurance actuarial tables.

Reactions: FLHamster

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am happy with my FCA system. So far I have not had any unnecessary braking. My grand daughter was driving when someone pulled in ahead of her and put on his brakes. She was talking to someone in the back seat so the FCA braked before she hit the brake pedal. Probably saved her from having a minor accident (if that is possible anymore $$). I believe I adjusted it to medium sensitivity.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I am happy with my FCA system. So far I have not had any unnecessary braking. My grand daughter was driving when someone pulled in ahead of her and put on his brakes. She was talking to someone in the back seat so the FCA braked before she hit the brake pedal. Probably saved her from having a minor accident (if that is possible anymore $$). I believe I adjusted it to medium sensitivity.
Glad she avoided a collision. Sounds like you need to have a chat with her about keeping her eyes on the road. I have a friend who is always looking over at passengers while she drives & yaks it up. Makes me very nervous. She has wrecked 4 of her last 4 cars thru inattentive driving.

Reactions: manfreity

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the FCA system and it has caught me a few times when I was distracted. However, far more frequently I’ve had it kick in when it was NOT helpful (emergency lane changes, someone turning that is NOT in my way but the car thinks they are, etc) and its scared the crap out of me. I’ve left it on just in case, but...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Glad she avoided a collision. Sounds like you need to have a chat with her about keeping her eyes on the road. I have a friend who is always looking over at passengers while she drives & yaks it up. Makes me very nervous. She has wrecked 4 of her last 4 cars thru inattentive driving.
Makes me nuts when I see someone turning their head to speak to a passenger. Do they not realize you can talk and KEEP your eyes on the road?!?!?! Almost as bad as the person who always hold two fingers up to their head when they mention talking to someone on the phone...like you're too dumb to know what a phone is and how you hold it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have Forward Collision Avoidance on my 2020 S but it has not engaged yet. Someone said they changed the setting to "medium" on theirs, so I'm wondering if I should go in and adjust it. I don't want it to kick in when I don't need it. That actually sounds a bit scary.

I changed the Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) to just a sound if I drift in my lane rather than the constant tugging you get when you drift a bit in the lane. Much better now. I don't need it to be steering for me.

I can attest the Lane Changing Assist (LCA) is also wonderful. It's informed me a couple times already that it was not safe to change lanes.

And Rear Cross Collision Warning (RCCW) is probably something all cars should have. I was backing up a couple times and it went off with a really loud noise because a vehicle was behind me. I hit the brake immediately. I did look before backing up, and thought it was clear, but you know how fast people drive in parking lots these days, they think it's the freeway.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I have Forward Collision Avoidance on my 2020 S but it has not engaged yet. Someone said they changed the setting to "medium" on theirs, so I'm wondering if I should go in and adjust it. I don't want it to kick in when I don't need it. That actually sounds a bit scary.

I changed the Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) to just a sound if I drift in my lane rather than the constant tugging you get when you drift a bit in the lane. Much better now. I don't need it to be steering for me.

I can attest the Lane Changing Assist (LCA) is also wonderful. It's informed me a couple times already that it was not safe to change lanes.

And Rear Cross Collision Warning (RCCW) is probably something all cars should have. I was backing up a couple times and it went off with a really loud noise because a vehicle was behind me. I hit the brake immediately. I did look before backing up, and thought it was clear, but you know how fast people drive in parking lots these days, they think it's the freeway.
Do I detect a little P.P.G. going on here (post purchase gladness)? :)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Forward collision avoidance! ??? OH MY GAWD! That's what I've been doing for the past 60 years and didn't even think about it being anything special. Isn't that just what we're supposed to do? It's called "Driving".
And I didn't have to pay anything extra for it.

Every time a subject like this comes up, I'm reminded of the story, about the woman who was driving her brand new Motor Home, when it went off the road and into a corn field. When the cop questioned her and asked her "What Happened", she said that she had put on the Cruise Control and then went into the back to make a sandwich.

Clueless!
Too many people are quickly approaching that stage.

Just pay attention to your driving, and you won't need "Collision Avoidance" gizmos.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,571 Posts
"It's called DRIVING."

It makes me wonder about insurance rates going up on vehicles with safety systems, like discussed in one of our threads.

In addition to the obvious expense to repair them, is it possible these systems can be the cause of accidents? I'm thinking through either malfunction or more likely, encouraging driver inattention.

We've all heard about the person sleeping or texting while their vehicle "drives itself" down the highway.

I'm curious if some of these horrendous & lesser accidents are factoring into insurance actuarial tables.
I recall a CD guy some years back, driving through a deserted no-traffic stretch of Montana interstate with his wife in a borrowed Cadenza. At 70 MPH the car went into full-stop mode, max braking. His wife freaked, so did he, he finally punched the brake pedal a few times to bring the system out of its hysteria.
Now try that on the GW Bridge, or any crowded highway, X10 with a gasoline truck behind you, and you have a problem, Houston.

I’ve had it jump in and actually lock the brakes while trying to go around a car it deemed me to be too close to.Not a happy feeling at all!!
We have a problem, Houston.

So she's batting 1.000. Congratulations! A penny to see her insurance bill.

Makes me nuts when I see someone turning their head to speak to a passenger. Do they not realize you can talk and KEEP your eyes on the road?!?!?! Almost as bad as the person who always hold two fingers up to their head when they mention talking to someone on the phone...like you're too dumb to know what a phone is and how you hold it!
Yeah to all that. Either talk louder, or better yet STFU until your space ship has safely landed.

Forward collision avoidance! ??? OH MY GAWD! That's what I've been doing for the past 60 years and didn't even think about it being anything special. Isn't that just what we're supposed to do? It's called "Driving".
And I didn't have to pay anything extra for it.

Every time a subject like this comes up, I'm reminded of the story, about the woman who was driving her brand new Motor Home, when it went off the road and into a corn field. When the cop questioned her and asked her "What Happened", she said that she had put on the Cruise Control and then went into the back to make a sandwich.

Clueless!
Too many people are quickly approaching that stage.

Just pay attention to your driving, and you won't need "Collision Avoidance" gizmos.

:cool:
Amen.

I used to see a number of the magazine road test guys complain about the collision avoidance/collision causing systems kicking in for no apparent reason, or because they misread something that a reasonably ALERT DRIVER would have seen.

IMO these are a two-edged sword, and the side of the sword that further encourages incompetent, distracted, or lazy driving habits is definitely the larger and sharper side. Just like the mention above of "auto pilot" "drivers" playing games, sleeping, watching movies, or just on the phone as about 50% of the local drivers I observe already do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I’ve had it jump in and actually lock the brakes while trying to go around a car it deemed me to be too close to.Not a happy feeling at all!!
Maybe you were too close. Just kidding!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had 0 issues with mine. I've had the warning light come on a handful of times but never had it apply the brakes. The few warnings I got didn't surprise me because I was driving aggressively when it happened. The only thing I've had happen a couple of times is the car will sometimes hit the brake on me when I'm backing up in my driveway. Traffic on the highway going past will set off the rear cross traffic thing

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's actually not the case. She has gone 20 years without any accidents. She is an aggressive driver like my European friends. The other driver pulled in front of her from the other lane and slammed on his brakes. The FCA was just faster than her.

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
That's actually not the case. She has gone 20 years without any accidents. She is an aggressive driver like my European friends. The other driver pulled in front of her from the other lane and slammed on his brakes. The FCA was just faster than her.
That's good she's an "aggressive" driver. That, and talking to someone in the back seat while operating a moving vehicle, with passengers, makes for good driving practices.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What can I say? I never said she took her eyes off the road? Crazy discussion. I was just pointing out the FCA works. It was faster than anyone can react????

1 - 20 of 22 Posts