Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got these put on and bedded in, fairly straight forward and easy install. 4 bolts in total holding the caliper on (well 2 for the caliper and 2 for the support bracket. The only real problem i ran into was the 2x stupid retaining screws on the face of the rotors. These screws are made out of entirely to soft a metal and strip once you put any real force to them. So a Tip spray them in advance with some penetrating oil, and let it soak for a lil bit, then as a lil trick take your proper sized philips head screw driver line it up with the screw, and use a mallet in the other hand give it a good whack and as you hit it turn the screw driver counter clock-wise, the jarring of the hammer hit breaks the screw loose pretty easily and you dont strip the face out. I was planning on painting the calipers but the weather did not cooperate, however they will be done within the next couple weeks as better weather is on its way. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. I really like the way the new rotors look with my wheel package cant wait for how its gonna look when the calipers are done. P.S. there is a small rubber grommet on the rear rotors, it really serves no purpose but i took it off the old ones and put it on the new ones theres a hole for it just not really sure why...

brake 1.jpg brake 2.jpg brake 3.jpg soul1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,085 Posts
Nice looking parts! We'll be looking forward on your thoughts after you've used them a bit. Where did you pick these up at and how was the pricing......really like the look's of them.! :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Awesome, those retaining screws are a pain in the butt. I work at O'Reilly auto parts and everyone who buys rotors from me asks " where do I put those little screws."

They are only there to help assemble the car at the factory

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Nice looking parts! We'll be looking forward on your thoughts after you've used them a bit. Where did you pick these up at and how was the pricing......really like the look's of them.! :)
Ebay'd them not my favorite place to get things for my car but the reviews on the seller and his product were all 100% ran me 200 $ for all 4 including ceramic pads.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, those retaining screws are a pain in the butt. I work at O'Reilly auto parts and everyone who buys rotors from me asks " where do I put those little screws."

They are only there to help assemble the car at the factory
Tell them put em in the trash... I was cursing up a storm asking why they would use such a inferior metal

·
Registered
750 Posts
Just got these put on and bedded in, fairly straight forward and easy install. 4 bolts in total holding the caliper on (well 2 for the caliper and 2 for the support bracket. The only real problem i ran into was the 2x stupid retaining screws on the face of the rotors. These screws are made out of entirely to soft a metal and strip once you put any real force to them. So a Tip spray them in advance with some penetrating oil, and let it soak for a lil bit, then as a lil trick take your proper sized philips head screw driver line it up with the screw, and use a mallet in the other hand give it a good whack and as you hit it turn the screw driver counter clock-wise, the jarring of the hammer hit breaks the screw loose pretty easily and you dont strip the face out. I was planning on painting the calipers but the weather did not cooperate, however they will be done within the next couple weeks as better weather is on its way. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. I really like the way the new rotors look with my wheel package cant wait for how its gonna look when the calipers are done. P.S. there is a small rubber grommet on the rear rotors, it really serves no purpose but i took it off the old ones and put it on the new ones theres a hole for it just not really sure why...
I have been thinking about these rotors for a while now, but decided to wait until I had a little more wear on my original equipment first. Maybe in a few years. Those screws you speak of are best handled with a manual impact driver. For those unfamiliar with it, it is a stubby hunk of metal you hold in your hand. It has a square drive and interchangeable bits on one end and the other you smack with a hammer. It forces bits to twist as you smack it. Look up impact driver (wikipedia) and there is a picture of a manual hand held one. They are cheap and work amazing! If you work on motorcycles at all, they are a MUST Have!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been thinking about these rotors for a while now, but decided to wait until I had a little more wear on my original equipment first. Maybe in a few years. Those screws you speak of are best handled with a manual impact driver. For those unfamiliar with it, it is a stubby hunk of metal you hold in your hand. It has a square drive and interchangeable bits on one end and the other you smack with a hammer. It forces bits to twist as you smack it. Look up impact driver (wikipedia) and there is a picture of a manual hand held one. They are cheap and work amazing! If you work on motorcycles at all, they are a MUST Have!

I knew there was a tool like that couldn't think what it was. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome and so far the rotors are holding up well stopping distances have improved. I do recommend bedding the breaks properly if you do in fact do this upgrade.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Brake calipers, on cars with 'open' allow rims, just scream at me...."Paint me!"

So on my last car, with allow rims, that's just what I did.

Duplicolor makes a special High Temp paint for brake calipers.

Just don't paint any rubber parts or the brake pads themselves. (or the rotors) :laughonfloor

The green looks good!

TM :cool:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I woulda used the 2000degree paint as well but they didn't have the green I wanted so I went with the 500 degree 1 primer coat 2 coats of green and a coat of clear its nice and smooth ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts