Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow KIA members.

I have pretty big problem.
My car is stuck on parking lot near my work, and I cant get in. My car battery probably died, and I cant open the car. It does not work with remote, and it looks like there is no standard mechanical lock (so I cant open it mechanically with a key).
So I need help, what can I do other than braking the glass?

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Really?? There should be a key that slides out or flips out of your transmitter.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
first, for fast answers posting on a forum does not help as most of us are on the other side of the world to you. All Soul's that I have seen have a mechanical key slot on the drivers door regardless of the model so that you can enter the vehicle using it, this doesn't matter whether you have the remote key or the smart key.

You have given us no detail on what vehicle you are talking about - do you even have a Soul?

Call a tow truck service, they can usually get into your vehicle without resorting to breaking the glass or a locksmith. It also might be just the battery on the remote, very unusual for a car battery to go totally dead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for lack of details, yes I have Kia Soul from 2011. Yes, I have a mechanical key slot at drivers door, but It doesnt work at all, so I thought it is because of drained battery. But if you say it should work also without power, it may be broken.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Sorry for lack of details, yes I have Kia Soul from 2011. Yes, I have a mechanical key slot at drivers door, but It doesnt work at all, so I thought it is because of drained battery. But if you say it should work also without power, it may be broken.
I am not 100 percent sure whether this is true. I've always noticed that there doesn't seem to be any sort of mechanical engagement when I open the door with the key. It feels more like I'm just turning a switch than moving rods and levers. But I've never actually tried it without power nor inspected the mechanism closely, so I could be wrong.

Also, even if it is a switch rather than a mechanical mechanism, it would take very little current to open the locks versus start the car, so even a weak battery should be able to do so.

In any case, any competent mechanic, police officer, or car thief should be able to help you get in the car for now.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I am not 100 percent sure whether this is true. I've always noticed that there doesn't seem to be any sort of mechanical engagement when I open the door with the key. It feels more like I'm just turning a switch than moving rods and levers. But I've never actually tried it without power nor inspected the mechanism closely, so I could be wrong.

Also, even if it is a switch rather than a mechanical mechanism, it would take very little current to open the locks versus start the car, so even a weak battery should be able to do so.

In any case, any competent mechanic, police officer, or car thief should be able to help you get in the car for now.

Never a cop or a car thief around when you need them...

·
Registered
564 Posts
Try spraying some lube in the lock cylinder hole, then try the key. No one uses the lock cyl any more, then tend to bind up if not used.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,602 Posts
Martina, have you tried the key on the passenger side door? I believe the lock mechanism functions differently from the drivers side.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
Martina, have you tried the key on the passenger side door? I believe the lock mechanism functions differently from the drivers side.

Best of luck!
only the Base MT model would have that where you get no keyless entry.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah, he meant to say 15 Base M/T. Mine has a key on the right.

I can feel mechanical things moving on the left (driver's ) door when I turn the key. The right door just feels like an electrical switch to me with no mechanical feedback.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,602 Posts
only the Base model would have that where you get no keyless entry.
Hey, just taking my best shot to help since all she said was a 2011 Soul in Slovenia. Who knows what add ons or features come on her car with virtually no information provided. Hopefully she got it running.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry, but I really have no much informations about that car. But I know that there is only ONE key opening on drivers door, nothing more. Passenger doors are keyless. When I try to open it manually with key, I cant feel any mechanism, so I think it is electrical switch. So, I am pretty much screwed.
I thought maybe jack up the front end, and try to reach alternator with jumper cables?! :culpability:

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Sorry, but I really have no much informations about that car. But I know that there is only ONE key opening on drivers door, nothing more. Passenger doors are keyless. When I try to open it manually with key, I cant feel any mechanism, so I think it is electrical switch. So, I am pretty much screwed.
I thought maybe jack up the front end, and try to reach alternator with jumper cables?! :culpability:
I personally would not do that. It's too easy to burn out the alternator, the BCM, or both.

If you can get a fairly stiff piece of wire long enough to reach the hood release handle and make a loop on one end, maybe you can slip it between the rubber seal and the driver's side window and yank on the handle to open the hood.

Or maybe with a long screwdriver you can get under the car and manually unlatch the hood. I'll take a look under mine in a little while and see if this looks practical.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I personally would not do that. It's too easy to burn out the alternator, the BCM, or both.

If you can get a fairly stiff piece of wire long enough to reach the hood release handle and make a loop on one end, maybe you can slip it between the rubber seal and the driver's side window and yank on the handle to open the hood.

Or maybe with a long screwdriver you can get under the car and manually unlatch the hood. I'll take a look under mine in a little while and see if this looks practical.
Just for the record, opening the latch from under the car with a screwdriver is not a practical option. The radiator and A/C are in the way.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts